Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to the Forum and to 914's - In the hunt., Early search for a 914
914Next
post Jul 28 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thought I'd make a quick introduction. I'm a bit of a regular on Rennlist but new to this forum. Several guys on the 914 forum there suggested that I check 914World out and it appears to be a good suggestion. I have several cars. Currently my only porsche is a '96 TT which I love. Also have some american muscle and I've decided that my '68 Chevelle SS just isn't doing it for me so I'm going to look at selling that and begin the hunt for a 914. Its a gorgeous car....all original, fully documented with 37k miles. Just doesn't do it for me like my other cars do.

I'm a bit of a fanatic for originality so will try to focus on an all original car. Might go with a re-paint but since I'm not an expert on these cars and I'm also a bit uneasy when it comes to rust, I'd prefer a car where I know exactly what I'm getting. I think I'll focus on the 2.0 or the 6's although not sure I want to put 6-type money into this purchase.

I'm in no hurry...going to take my time to find the right car. Will appreciate any help and education I can find here.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 28 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Good early cars are scarce. Rust has eaten many of them. The 70-71 also have a different steering column and replacement switches are hard to find. You may be able to find a suitable VW replacement that can be made to work.

73-74, 2.0 seem to be the most desirable for some reason. Unless you are after a real -6. Next most desirable/valuable would be a 74 LE model.

Lots of good people and fellow PCA members here. Welcome to the madness...
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 28 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

914Next,

Did you read through the thread links I posted in your Rennlist 914 hunt thread? It will answer MANY of your questions.

The guys here at 914World were invaluable to my hunt for a 914. Love the 914 I ended up with.
+Quote Post
CrashDown
post Jul 29 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Fake Carbon Fiber MASTA!

Member No.: 10,453
Region Association: Northern California

As someone with a early 4cyl car, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with a 72-74.

The electrical oddities on 70-71's can be a pain in the butt. Turn signal switches are just about impossible to find, so you have to modify a later turn signal switch to work in the early housing. The car is hardwired in places where there are connectors in later cars making replacing things a lot harder. There are some Chassis differences in bracing that was added to later cars that wasn't on 70-71's. Interior pieces are different, yada yada yada.

It is cool to see early cars get the once over though. You just don't see many of them.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 29 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(CrashDown @ Jul 29 2014, 12:08 PM) *

As someone with a early 4cyl car, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with a 72-74.

The electrical oddities on 70-71's can be a pain in the butt. Turn signal switches are just about impossible to find, so you have to modify a later turn signal switch to work in the early housing. The car is hardwired in places where there are connectors in later cars making replacing things a lot harder. There are some Chassis differences in bracing that was added to later cars that wasn't on 70-71's. Interior pieces are different, yada yada yada.

It is cool to see early cars get the once over though. You just don't see many of them.

Appreciate the input. What years were the 6's produced? Sounds like 72-73 2.o might be a good choice if I decide not to make the big investment into a 6.

Just curious. Where do all of you think this ebay 6 will end up? Currently at 65. Looks like a really nice car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400748236028?ssPag...984.m1423.l2648
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 29 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) You have found the pot of gold with this forum. Some real serious 914 nuts among us.

That eBay appears to be a solid car. It will command a good price for sure.

The Sixes were made from '70-'72. '70 was the most plentiful year with a couple thousand made, '71 had about 330 made and '72 had about 250 or so. A total of about 3,300 Sixes in total were made.

The '72 Six, the most rare, has some differences from the '70 & '71. The '72 has a 4 cylinder steering column and ignition on the column. Some of the '72 Sixes were, if I am recalling correctly, produced with out all of the other options of the '70 & '71. Like chrome bumpers and vinyl on the sail panels.

It matters not which Six you get; they are all desirable and sought after cars.

The LE cars are desirable too. Not certain, but I believe they were made in '74 and had a different paint scheme, ala the creamcicle, bumblebee and grasshopper.

The '73-'74 2.0 appearance group cars are the next most desirable for me. If I were going to buy another 914, my target car would be a all stock '73-74 2.0 with the appearance group.

Good luck and have a lot of fun. Be patient and the right car will appear.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 30 2014, 03:59 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 29 2014, 11:15 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) You have found the pot of gold with this forum. Some real serious 914 nuts among us.

That eBay appears to be a solid car. It will command a good price for sure.

The Sixes were made from '70-'72. '70 was the most plentiful year with a couple thousand made, '71 had about 330 made and '72 had about 250 or so. A total of about 3,300 Sixes in total were made.

The '72 Six, the most rare, has some differences from the '70 & '71. The '72 has a 4 cylinder steering column and ignition on the column. Some of the '72 Sixes were, if I am recalling correctly, produced with out all of the other options of the '70 & '71. Like chrome bumpers and vinyl on the sail panels.

It matters not which Six you get; they are all desirable and sought after cars.

The LE cars are desirable too. Not certain, but I believe they were made in '74 and had a different paint scheme, ala the creamcicle, bumblebee and grasshopper.

The '73-'74 2.0 appearance group cars are the next most desirable for me. If I were going to buy another 914, my target car would be a all stock '73-74 2.0 with the appearance group.

Good luck and have a lot of fun. Be patient and the right car will appear.

Thanks Cairo. This is great info. And, I can tell the people on this site are going to be a great help. Thanks for the opinion on the ebay car. It does look clean and orange is a great color. Actually looks exactly like what I'm looking for if it had original paint. I'm guessing the car will go for 70+? I'm not fooling myself to think that the car will be a great investment....they rarely are when all is said and done but it seems like spending $25-$30 on a spectacular 2.0 has better chance of decent upside longterm that spending $75k on a 6. I need to think about that ebay car and meanwhile I'll keep learning from all of you.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Jul 30 2014, 05:11 AM
Post #8

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Welcome to the madness

1973 2.0 and 1974 LE are the cars to hunt because they are the only four cylinder cars that came from the factory with sway bars. If you want a crisp handling 914 , this is a must.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 30 2014, 07:56 AM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Sway bars were an option on all 73+ 914s. They are also relatively easy to add to any 914.

--DD
+Quote Post
johannes
post Jul 30 2014, 08:26 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 30 2014, 05:56 AM) *

Sway bars were an option on all 73+ 914s. They are also relatively easy to add to any 914.

--DD

Yes it was an option later. But very rare to find them on the car.
If you are not a mechanic it will cost you 1000+ $ to let them install on the car.
Parts + remove tank + welding + install
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 30 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 30 2014, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 30 2014, 05:56 AM) *

--DD

Yes it was an option later. But very rare to find them on the car.
If you are not a mechanic it will cost you 1000+ $ to let them install on the car.
Parts + remove tank + welding + install

Thanks. I'm just soaking all of this in!! Very helpful. Thinking more about the 2.0's. Willing to wait for a perfect...or near perfect original car.
+Quote Post
race914
post Jul 30 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #12

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

+Quote Post
johannes
post Jul 31 2014, 05:14 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 30 2014, 07:59 AM) *

Thanks. I'm just soaking all of this in!! Very helpful. Thinking more about the 2.0's. Willing to wait for a perfect...or near perfect original car.

Perfect car = a lot of money
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 31 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,874

+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 31 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 31 2014, 07:14 AM) *

Yes I get that. I'm fine paying decent money for a perfect 2.0. Just can't get my head around $90k for a 65k mile really nice one-repaint 6 car with no great documentation. Not sure what a perfect original 2.0 would cost but if I could find a low mileage original example with great documentation, I am more than willing to pay top market for it...assuming that is $30k-$50k?
+Quote Post
57lincolnman
post Jul 31 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,175

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 28 2014, 06:24 PM) *

Thought I'd make a quick introduction. I'm a bit of a regular on Rennlist but new to this forum. Several guys on the 914 forum there suggested that I check 914World out and it appears to be a good suggestion. I have several cars. Currently my only porsche is a '96 TT which I love. Also have some american muscle and I've decided that my '68 Chevelle SS just isn't doing it for me so I'm going to look at selling that and begin the hunt for a 914. Its a gorgeous car....all original, fully documented with 37k miles. Just doesn't do it for me like my other cars do.

I'm a bit of a fanatic for originality so will try to focus on an all original car. Might go with a re-paint but since I'm not an expert on these cars and I'm also a bit uneasy when it comes to rust, I'd prefer a car where I know exactly what I'm getting. I think I'll focus on the 2.0 or the 6's although not sure I want to put 6-type money into this purchase.

I'm in no hurry...going to take my time to find the right car. Will appreciate any help and education I can find here.

Steve

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jul 31 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #17

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 31 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Yes I get that. I'm fine paying decent money for a perfect 2.0. Just can't get my head around $90k for a 65k mile really nice one-repaint 6 car with no great documentation. Not sure what a perfect original 2.0 would cost but if I could find a low mileage original example with great documentation, I am more than willing to pay top market for it...assuming that is $30k-$50k?

So are you saying you are against repaints, even if the car is low miles and well documented and an awesome car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
57lincolnman
post Jul 31 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,175

I have a '75. It's not popular with most 'teeners because of the heavy bumpers. I like the look… to each his own I guess. Those bumpers help out in the real world driving too. It has the later version for the fuel injection which does have subtle improvements. Mine is a CA car and the smog stuff was taken off long ago and sits in a box somewhere in my garage. Keep the fuel injection. Most components for this later system are readily available. For most, these cars are a "blank canvas" to make performance enhancements to the suspension, braking, and engine/transmission. I am one of these 914 owners that has enhanced his ride for week-end rallies while balancing the original look. Good luck. These cars are an addictive adrenalin rush that will also drain your bank account if you're not careful.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Aug 1 2014, 12:43 AM
Post #19

20k+ will buy you an excellent four cylinder 2.0.
50k+ is what you need to buy a decent six theese days.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 1 2014, 04:23 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 31 2014, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 31 2014, 07:26 PM) *

So are you saying you are against repaints, even if the car is low miles and well documented and an awesome car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I wouldn't rule out a repaint but prefer an all original car including paint. One reason is that I'm a relative novice with body work and rust and It eliminates one element of uncertainty with respect to past rust issues. I also don't mind a bit of patina on an original car.

So sounds like I can find a really nice original 2.0 for $20-$30k?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:56 AM