Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping Options, Porsche 914 1.7 Litre in Cars and Rollers and Parts Classifieds
jmink
post Jul 30 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,585
Region Association: North East States

Hi - JMINK here and I am parting out the 1971 / 1972 1.7 Litre in both the Cars and Rollers and the Parts areas of the Classifieds.

I have been trying to provide the quickest and cheapest shipping options to whomever has ordered parts.

The dilemma i am running into is that I have been asked by several members to ship some of the larger components to members such as the front and rear bumpers.

I stopped by a UPS store today with the bumpers and they quoted me an outrageous amount of money to ship to California (Packing and shipping for ONE bumper was almost $200.00 - I'm only asking $250 for both).

Has anyone else had large parts shipped with different / cheaper options??

Please pipe in as i want to fulfill the requests that i have had thusfar ASAP.

Thanks for the input.
JMINK

If the Moderator chooses to move this thread, kindly inform me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 31 2014, 12:36 AM
Post #2

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Yeah, box it yourself - even if that means cutting up boxes to make a "custom box". First off wrap it in enough bubble wrap and padding to prevent it from being damaged. Then box it once by making a "custom box" as small as possible around it as a 1st skin. Then make a 2nd custom box as a 2nd skin. Then take it to USPS.

I build custom designed equipment for recording studios for a living. Everything I build is a different size requiring me to build "custom" boxes. USPS is by far and away the BEST and least expensive shipping option. I typically ship ~$2K fully insured Priority Mail 2-3 day shipments up to 22" x 18" x 12" boxes around the US for under $80. If they were uninsured, probably half that. If shipped normal 1st class, probably $20.

Stay away from UPS or Fedex. They're price gougers. They're also dead set on destroying your stuff. Having shipped over 200 pieces of fragile recording studio equipment, I've had only 2 instances of damage with USPS Priority. Both only minor cosmetic damage.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 31 2014, 05:37 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Go to a ski shop. Buy a snowboard box and ask them to ship from their store. Box will cost around $10 be shipping around $20-30
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 31 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

A Key before offering Parts up F/S is to get an Idea on Shipping before you run into problems like this. I only sell big items on a Local Pick-up Basis as they are a Pain in the Ass
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 31 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

bike stores have a nice selection of boxes sometimes. as mentioned, you do what it takes, when you can, to keep the box size UNDER 109"(iirc) when you add the girth of the box+length. an inch makes all the dif in the world. often 2x the $ to ship. at times you have to be creative fabbing up a box. u-haul sells bubble wrap by the roll for a reasonable amount. that's my preferred packing material these days rather than pounds of newspaper.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jul 31 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ship via Greyhound Bus.
+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Jul 31 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,612

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jul 31 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Ship via Greyhound Bus.

What Rob said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I've used grey hound to ship bumpers and wings before. It's cheap and very reliable. Only downside, the receiver has to go to greyhound to pick it up. Worth the price break if you ask me.
+Quote Post
jmink
post Jul 31 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,585
Region Association: North East States

thank you all for the advice - i have a ski shop 2 miles away and i've been a customer for years - he'll probably let me ship thru his shop. - i want to keep pricing reasonable for all members.

i like the greyhound idea too.

once i get this one finished up, i'll be able to buy my "driver" and become a customer too.

JMINK
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:59 AM