Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> diagnosis help please - out of gas, sat, now won't turn over..., I need some help with a plan of attack to get me back on the road
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 6 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #21

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

"It pretty much stayed at 5v each time. Does that mean the battery is okay?"

It's a12 bolt battery with only 5 volts. What do you think?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 6 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Yep, your battery is junk! The low readings after charging tell you that. You didn't even need to test the starter. 10 volts after charging 20 hours - bad battery!
Tom
+Quote Post
r32bert
post Aug 6 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,754
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 5 2014, 07:16 PM) *

If 10 volts is all you after charging the battery is no good.
Theoretically a fully charged lead acid battery is 13.2 volts (2.2 volts per cell).
You should be near 10 volts while cranking the engine over.
The FI control unit need around 9 volts to function.

Do you have another vehicle you could use to jump start from?

Jim

Great suggestion! Just tried jumping it off my truck and it was the same exact result... Which means either I didn't jump it properly, or the starter is probably the issue.

...maybe I'll try one more time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r32bert
post Aug 6 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #24

HOLY $#!+!!!!!

I jumped it again, this time being especially mindful of the connecting points, and it turned over! Thanks for the suggestion, Jim! At least I know the starter has some life left in it... A new battery is definitely in my future. Anyone have any recommendations? This is like the 4th LAPS battery I've tried over the years, and they keep letting me down.

Now back to the original suggestion of checking the fuel filter after the tank swap.

Please, some kind soul, please put me out of my misery and tell me where the fuel filter is in a 1974 2.0 liter... I have been crawling all around (the car and online) and I still can't find it! Do I need to take something off first? I don't see any "2 bolt plate" anywhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) and the Hanes manual picture is too close up for any real reference.

Also, I took the "gravel guard" shield off (don't know what it is actually called) from under the front of the car and I see like 6 inches of tubing hanging out of a hole... Is this normal??? ...or was the recent fuel tank replacement done a bit "below standard?"

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics (the car isn't very high off the ground). Yes those are cobwebs and pine needles, but isn't the original olympic blue beautiful? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions/advice, I really do appreciate it!

-Robert

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/zalot.com-11754-1407380847.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/zalot.com-11754-1407380848.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/zalot.com-11754-1407380850.3.jpg)

+Quote Post
Java2570
post Aug 6 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Stock fuel pump location on a '74 is back underneath the engine.....look under the car on the passenger side. It is in the corner of the firewall and side of engine bay:

Attached Image

Some people have theres moved up front to the area to the lower right on the sheetmetal in front of the gas tank. That became stock in '75 but if your car is still stock, it'll be in the back like the photo attached shows it.
+Quote Post
r32bert
post Aug 7 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #26

thank you kind sir.

I will climb back under the car at my next opportunity... I was still looking for it by the gas tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:53 AM