Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Engine Thermostat?
rickso71
post Jan 23 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,041

The engine thermostat on my '71 914/4 doesn't look right, it looks too long. The manual says greater than 46mm at 160 degrees, and mine at room temp is already 50mm without much room left in the bracket for expansion due to higher temperature. I can compress the "spring" quite a bit though.

Having a hard time finding a replacement.

Can anyone confirm this "cold" length and know where to find a replacement?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jan 23 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) yea it is toast--aircooled.net has em--I believe the T1 and T4 are the same, I have the same problem on mine.

I always wondered why the 4 has them and none of the sixes have anykind of cooling air control at all. I know allot of guys actually take off the cooling flaps on the 4 and just run em as is--I do, but I am in SoFl, and the temps rarely go below 45--and only for a few weeks at that--most of the time it is 80-100 degrees and 90+ humidity all year, which displaces a ton of the air with a ton of water vapor--not good for cooling a hot running 4---so I need all the cooling potential I can get.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 23 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

T1 and T4 thermostats are completely different parts. Gotta use the T4 part if you're gonna run one at all. The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:23 PM