Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuch I had a fire! Now repaired, Back together & running. Picking it up next week
Tom
post Aug 6 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Jamie,
Here is some advice. If it happened once, it can happen again. Something was wrong and may have been that way for a while. Take the car to Mike and let him straighten it out. Afterward you will have a schematic of where the wires go and he will make sure to put fuses where they should be.
Without a schematic, you can not say pulling a relay could have or could not have caused this. Depends on where and what type of relay it was and exactly what it functioned to do. At least after Mike finishes, he will have some kind of schematic that will tell you what all of the relays do and then later if something does not work, you can use the schematic to troubleshoot the problem.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 6 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #22

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Wow, that sucks.

Good thing it didn't catch other stuff on fire and burn the entire 914 and garage.

Looking at the damage, one has to wonder if the battery was shorted, burned, and burned the electronics, or the electronics burned and cause the battery to burn.

It would seem that a heavy current drain from the electronics would not cause the battery to burn. The battery should be able to drain 10, 20A without burning up.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 6 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

things really go south right after the connection point under the plastic cover next to the ex-battery. the big reds from that point back to the bat have cooked a bit but after that it's crispy critters. i think things could have wired in a more 'proper' fashion, like the amp and other sections with materials other than household wire nuts and electrical tape to secure things. i'm not meaning to bag on you.

k
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 6 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #24

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

China Syndrome.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 6 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #25

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Wow!
I don't know if you are unlucky... or horse shoes up the arse lucky for not burning down the house.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 6 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #26

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I'm paranoid about fires. All 12 of my "toy" cars have battery disconnect switches or terminals. It not only keeps the battery from draining between drives but minimizes chances of what you just experienced!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 6 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I do have full coverage with Hagerty. While putting in a claim will make my premium go up. I'm thinking this is going to end up costing a couple grand when it's all said & done. Anyone see any problem with the insurance possibly denying the claim? I'm not exactly sure if this was my fault or what?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 6 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #28

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 6 2014, 09:32 PM) *

I do have full coverage with Hagerty. While putting in a claim will make my premium go up. I'm thinking this is going to end up costing a couple grand when it's all said & done. Anyone see any problem with the insurance possibly denying the claim? I'm not exactly sure if this was my fault or what?

It will be interesting to see what Hagerty says. If it's under $2 k or so I would pay out of pocket...that's just me. I wouldn't want an insurance claim for such a small amount. I would rather save the hassle and resultant premium increases and such for something major!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 6 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 6 2014, 06:36 PM) *

It will be interesting to see what Hagerty says. If it's under $2 k or so I would pay out of pocket...that's just me. I wouldn't want an insurance claim for such a small amount. I would rather save the hassle and resultant premium increases and such for something major!

Thing is if I have a shop do anything it will easily run over that. I have paint that will need done in both the trunk & engine bay. The wiring may need to be redone completely. Not sure if this has gotten into the loom in the tunnel. It will certainly have to come out to be sure. Odds are good there will be some things on my motor that will need replaced. Yes I can do all that work cheaper. I'll just have to sell some shit to pay for it. Which I can do. Just weighing the pro's & cons of making a claim or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 6 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 6 2014, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 6 2014, 06:36 PM) *

Thing is if I have a shop do anything it will easily run over that. I have paint that will need done in both the trunk & engine bay. The wiring may need to be redone completely. Not sure if this has gotten into the loom in the tunnel. It will certainly have to come out to be sure. Odds are good there will be some things on my motor that will need replaced. Yes I can do all that work cheaper. I'll just have to sell some shit to pay for it. Which I can do. Just weighing the pro's & cons of making a claim or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I understand what you are saying. Does the policy include electrical fires? Accident and collision are obviously covered. Even fires related to fuel issues are covered. I'm just wondering if this would be considered to be in the same category as a mechanical failure? We need an insurance person to chime in....
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 6 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

how much will your premium increase per month if you file a claim?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 6 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 6 2014, 07:40 PM) *

how much will your premium increase per month if you file a claim?

I have no idea. Was hoping someone had & could enlighten me
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 6 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #33

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

It's been a long time, but I had a claim with Hagerty for a small incident and they were great. They followed up frequently to make sure I was getting proper repairs and my premium didn't increase either. Unlike typical insurance companies, I've always felt they were part of the 'team'. I wouldn't hesitate to call them for advice on the situation. JMO
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 6 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 6 2014, 09:35 PM) *

It's been a long time, but I had a claim with Hagerty for a small incident and they were great. They followed up frequently to make sure I was getting proper repairs and my premium didn't increase either. Unlike typical insurance companies, I've always felt they were part of the 'team'. I wouldn't hesitate to call them for advice on the situation. JMO

Yeah I think I will call them tomorrow. My coverage is great & I have zero deductible. So I may as well see what they have to say. I won't be any worse off finding out. I was going to start tearing stuff out tonight but figured I better not touch anything yet.

Really looks to have started with my main power wire running from the starter to the battery. Seeing the damage that makes more sense than the smaller wires up top by the relay. Which coincidentally sit right above the wire running to my starter. Who the hell knows though with this stuff. It sucks & I'm depressed about my car. At the same time I feel blessed it was not worse. I've never seen a battery melted that way. Knowing all the heat was right above my fuel pump & lines. I am counting my blessings my car didn't explode & take the garage with it
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 7 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #35

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Wish I. Could offer some advise but I. Got nothing.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 7 2014, 06:02 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 5 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Internal short in the battery? What brand is .....was....it?
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Aug 7 2014, 06:34 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 11,426

Jaime,
I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hope you figure it out and get back on the road without to much expense. Be interesting to see what Hagerty says.

Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 7 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #38

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 7 2014, 05:02 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 5 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Internal short in the battery? What brand is .....was....it?

I was wondering the same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I'm not an electrical guru but wouldn't a short on anything small, i.e 8ga and smaller, burn through the wire before melting the battery???? I made the starter cover much larger after I noticed how close the Suby starter wire was to the trunk.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 7 2014, 10:52 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Called Hagerty to submit a claim. We will see where it goes from there once the adjustor comes out. I'll update here after they come. The adjustor is supposed to call me within 24 hours. Then setup a time to come take a look. I imagine it will be next week before that happens.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 7 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #40

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 7 2014, 08:52 AM) *

Called Hagerty to submit a claim. We will see where it goes from there once the adjustor comes out. I'll update here after they come. The adjustor is supposed to call me within 24 hours. Then setup a time to come take a look. I imagine it will be next week before that happens.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:01 PM