Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suby axle and DOJ cv issue., 25 splines to the diff, 30 splines to the axle. What CV is this?
76-914
post Sep 19 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I really need to slow down and read these posts more carefully. I have some 914 cages, not Suby. Sorry Mike. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 4 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 18 2014, 04:18 PM) *

I just got back from RRC in Moab, and on the way there I had one of the subie CV's come apart. I'm still not really sure how it happened, and nothing that I could see broke, it just came out of the plunge joint. Just wanted to relay that.

-Ross

OK, now I'm curious too. Not my car but this same thing, or something very similar, just happened here. The inner CV, a Subaru SFJ (the triangle bearing), just came apart. The car wasn't being hammered, just driven, touched the gas coming out of a right turn and a bang and the car just lost power to the wheels. Coldwater cradle, Sway-a-Way axles with 914 CV's on the outside and the Subaru tri-pod (SFJ) joints on the inside. I don't know if it's the same thing that happened to Ross, but has anything similar happened to anyone else?

My car has Porscharu's inner flange adapters and bus (kombi) inner CV's with 914 outers. We've broken the outers a few times so we know how that goes, but those were broken, it was our fault and we know it, have no doubt about what we did and how, so no question. But never the inners and nothing obvious being done with this car that should cause a failure. Very curious. Has anyone else had similar issues, or some other idea? We can get parts and re-assemble things back as they were, but I'd prefer being able to determine the cause so we can fix it so it doesn't happen again.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 5 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #23

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

No help here Paul. I'm running Full Suby inners and 914 outers. Your set up uses 1/2 of a Suby inner, so it's apples to oranges. 1100 + miles and no issues with mine. yet? Question for those who lost one: any vibrations prior to separation?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 5 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #24

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 4 2014, 01:38 PM) *

OK, now I'm curious too. Not my car but this same thing, or something very similar, just happened here. The inner CV, a Subaru SFJ (the triangle bearing), just came apart. The car wasn't being hammered, just driven, touched the gas coming out of a right turn and a bang and the car just lost power to the wheels. Coldwater cradle, Sway-a-Way axles with 914 CV's on the outside and the Subaru tri-pod (SFJ) joints on the inside. I don't know if it's the same thing that happened to Ross, but has anything similar happened to anyone else?

Was it the right side joint that came apart?
If so, could it be possible that as the suspension extends, the axle is just short enough (or slid far enough into the outer CV) to pull the triangle bearing out of the cup? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Could test this with the rear jacked up and wheels hanging by trying to force the axle outward and see how far it goes.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 5 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 5 2014, 08:58 AM) *

No help here Paul. I'm running Full Suby inners and 914 outers. Your set up uses 1/2 of a Suby inner, so it's apples to oranges. 1100 + miles and no issues with mine. yet? Question for those who lost one: any vibrations prior to separation?

Mine started to whine about 5 seconds before it happened, no vibration, just the engine revving to the moon and lots of clunking from the rear (~80 mph). I had 1500 miles on that axle.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 11:29 PM