Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help finding my 914 and getting it back! SoCal/Inland Empire, I parked my 914 at a "trusted" neighbors house when I went in the Navy, they fraudulently SOLD IT while I was gone!
HellaFella
post Aug 12 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,769
Region Association: None

I joined the Navy in 2010 and obviously couldn't take my 914 with me so I parked/left (I kept the keys) it at a "trusted" neighbors house. When I came back on leave to collect it they were gone! I talked to another neighbor and found out their house had been forclosed on and they moved to Oregon just the week before. Also that same week neighbor said they had SOLD MY PORSCHE!! Like I said I had kept the keys, so I was confused how this happened, said a fella showed up with a flatbed and winched it aboard! She told them she was my mother and was selling my car because I had left it with her, falsifying my/her signature on the title and everything... Tried taking it up with the California DMV and they told me I had to file some sort of fraud complaint and that it had nothing to do with DMV. Being on a short leave period and not even knowing what to do next I said fuckit, now I'm a civilian again and would love to get that car back. If anyone has any ideas or help with what I can do that would be well appreciated!

I lived in Crestline CA, [in the mountains near Lake Arrowhead] San Bernardino county

California BLUE PLATE. 270 EWZ Rivera wheels

I got some really good feedback on the Facebook page and hope this can aattract more attention to this situation, hopefully this story will have a happy ending, I'll keep you updated! THANKS EVERYONE!! -JD

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.914club.com-17769-1407867552.1.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 12 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Call the Police & report it Stolen
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flippa
post Aug 12 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

Definitely report it stolen with the local and State police immediately! The new owner will not be able to get a title for it.

I purchased a parts car a few years ago that was stolen from the seller's property before I picked it up. I reported it stolen and the local PD assisted on pressuring the guy to give me my cash back, but only because I had a buddy who is a cop in an adjoining town. I am still pissed about it though; it had a mint set of ATS rims and a ton of good parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I hope you get it back.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 12 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Agreed. Get the law involved NOW. Go in and ask them nicely how they can hepl you, and stay on top of it. You may also have some protection under laws protecting the property of active duty military personnel. Looks like they fled across state lines to avoid prosecution, as they say in the news stories. Could that make it federal? In layman's terms, they may be in "a world of hurt".

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 12 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #5

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

Absolutely report is stolen to local and state police. If someone in the state has registered it, they would have it in the DMV records if you know the VIN.

I would also do some digging, find your 'trusted' friends and contact them, asking them WTF?

does California title cars that old? Some states do, some don't. If it does, I assume you have the title? makes it much easier to prove ownership.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 12 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Call the police and your insurance company
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 12 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Check your local Craiglist and Auto Trader type publications for sale at convenience stores. Good luck.

Thank you for your service to our country. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You deserve better than this.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 12 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

Get the VIN and post it everywhere! Keep us posted. I hate a thief but I especially hate people that don't respect our service men. We all get to sit back and enjoy our lives because of the sacrifices they make. I will help anyway I can.
+Quote Post
MMW
post Aug 12 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,477

Yes I would talk to the police. They would be the only ones who could help because it was stolen.

I'm curious when did you come home on leave to find the car gone? Your post makes it seem as if it was some time ago as you mention you are now a civilian?

Best of luck!
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 12 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Wow... that reeks!

For a few hundred dollars, a private investigator can likely track down the "trusted" neighbors.
+Quote Post
HellaFella
post Aug 12 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #11

Wow, the things that can happen in a day. Actually dug into some old boxes from 2+ moves ago dug through paperwork from '07 and found my original title. Called San Bernardino sheriff, they said my best bet was with DMV "Fraud Investigator," but that the would forward my "case" to a deputy also. I'm in far NorCal now, so DMV gave me a NorCal investigator phone #. After conversing with that fella, I find out that A) he recently inherited a 914 of his own and is in the process of restoring it. And B) I need to contact DMV investigation in the Inland Empire, where all this took place... But after his conversation I was contacted 6-7 times by the San Bernardino deputy who seemed to take great interest in my case. Tracked down the vehicle.. it was last registered to an address in Moreno Valley in 2012. It was sold twice after I'd disappeared from my posession. The Deputy contacted those two sellers and the most recent one said that he sold the car to "a man with a European accent." It hasn't been registered since 2012 + the accent prompted the deputy to speculate that I could have possibly been shipped back to europe. He also said that is a long-shot, but we can always investigate with Immigration/Customs to see if that VIN# left the country.. Currently he is trying to track down the people that I left the car with, we ascertained their legal identities and he is trying to find them (now out of state). He's filing criminal charges of Embezzlement, Forgery, and Fraud with the D.A. If I remember correctly. And then said he will be contacting me throughout the week.

I was amazed how much traction I got with the Deputy. The DMV investigator I talked with was very frank with the reality of my situation and said a lot of what will happen is just a dice roll on the Sheriff deputy I talk to. Seems I got a good one, and since this happened in the Arrowhead mountains, that was where the department switchboard forwarded me to, to handle the case. It's a smaller and slower detachment, so mebbe I lucked out with a "bored" deputy. But either way he was amazingly helpful, and I feel like I currently have the best chances of anything happeneing. Either way it's still a damn longshot, but hey.. something
+Quote Post
HellaFella
post Aug 12 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #12

And at the very least he mentioned, he has now built a case against them and collected almost all the relevant information that I could then subpoena for any type of civil action that I might undertake. I wouldn't be getting my car back at that point, but you know.. for principals
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 12 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #13

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

it could be that the deputy is also a former veteran and takes these cases as personal as if it happened to him.

he now has the power to karma fuch people who cheat, steal, and screw over people in military service.

good luck and keep us up on the progress.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 12 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Post the vin here. Maybe someone will see the car sitting in a lot or a yard. The car could just have been rendered un-drivable and is sitting in a yard someplace without having the title transferred.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 12 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #15

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

"A man with a European accent"??? Jeez, could that be more vague? I've sold a number of cars in the past and always had a pretty good idea of where the individual resided, including the last car I sold almost two years ago

Hopefully your deputy tries to glean a little more info from that dude... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

"No wait, that's right, I remember now...he's a Nigerian prince"
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 12 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Hopefully you can still get a pound or two of flesh. Time for them to give their actions some thought at the grey bar hotel too.
+Quote Post
HellaFella
post Aug 12 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #17

VIN# 4722911717. CA Blue Plate 270 EWZ Rivera Wheels, after market exhaust with a longish Chrome tip. Maroon/Ruby Red Metallic paint last I saw it, that was starting to fade around the rear trunk edges. Moreno Valley area last registered whereabouts.

be on the lookout for a man with a "European accent" and a scary mustache... lol
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 12 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Search our vin data base. Maybe the new owner entered the number and some info. Add the car with a note in the description about it being stolen and add a link to this thread.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 12 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #19

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Just did a search in the vin database and it does not come up.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 12 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #20

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

As a Vet can you get legal assistance from the Navy? Hope you can find your car!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 05:37 AM