Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improving dash light brightness?
Cuda911
post Aug 29 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks, Timothy.

Errghhh...

OK, so I pulled out the bulb holder, but it's a completely different type of bulb. I ordered the ones that were linked by someone above.

So, now what?

Original bulb is a small type that has no base (at left in pic below):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 29 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #42

I looked again... I guess the little bulb I pulled out is a turn signal bulb (see arrow below).

So, should I be pulling out the larger rounded post things (I assume the illumination bulb holders) circled below? I gave one of 'em a tug, and it didn't budge, but I don't want to break anything.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Aug 29 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yup, just pull those. You may want to twist them slightly back and forth to kind of break the seal, if you will. If you look at the wires running behind the gauges, you can identify them as the illumination circuit because they all have the same wiring color if I remember correctly.

I did the cool white bulbs and was less than impressed myself. I'll be hitting up Tim here shortly to convert mine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Aug 29 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yep, only pull the lamp holders that are attached to a black/blue striped wire. Some pop out easy, while others are a PITA
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 29 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #45

OK, thanks! I figured it was safest to ask here first, rather than breaking something and asking later.

Even if the LED's are just a bit brighter than the current bulbs, that will be good.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Sep 14 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #46

OK, finally got around to doing the bulbs today.

A few tips for other newbies:

1. Take out the screws that hold the cluster face plate and pull out the plate. But, you won't be able to pull it out far enough because of the speedometer cable. So, lift the cable off of the clip in the footwell. This will give enough "play" in the cable to let you pull out the face plate far enough to access the back of the gauges.

2. Push each gauge out of the faceplate from behind.

3. OK, a total newbie error, but might as well pass it on... to get the old bulb out, push in and turn. Sheesh, busted the first bulb trying to pull it straight out. Duh!

4. The metal bulb housings ground to the gauge cases, so once you replace a bulb you need to hold the bulb housing against the gauge case to test it.

5. Do not drop a bulb into the housing by accident, or you will have to disconnect everything to get it back out. (Ask how I know)

6. Those spade connectors are brittle. One of them broke, so I had to splice in a new female side

Went for a drive tonight to see what difference it made. For the speedometer, makes a very significant improvement. Definitely worth it. For the tachometer, the left side is much brighter. Right side is still pretty dark. I'm wondering if one of the LEDs isn't working, so will take it apart again and check. Left gauge... parking brake warning light is much brighter. Fuel guage is still nearly unreadable at night (I think that has one of the tiny bulbs that is not the type that can be replaced with LED... I forgot..

Here's some pics and two videos. The first shows the OEM turn signal bulb, and the second shows it replaced with an LED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSvEb_r7BXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IphOdeOVTc

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bluhun
post Sep 14 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 5,464
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 14 2014, 09:00 PM) *

OK, finally got around to doing the bulbs today.

A few tips for other newbies:

1. Take out the screws that hold the cluster face plate and pull out the plate. But, you won't be able to pull it out far enough because of the speedometer cable. So, lift the cable off of the clip in the footwell. This will give enough "play" in the cable to let you pull out the face plate far enough to access the back of the gauges.

2. Push each gauge out of the faceplate from behind.

3. OK, a total newbie error, but might as well pass it on... to get the old bulb out, push in and turn. Sheesh, busted the first bulb trying to pull it straight out. Duh!

4. The metal bulb housings ground to the gauge cases, so once you replace a bulb you need to hold the bulb housing against the gauge case to test it.

5. Do not drop a bulb into the housing by accident, or you will have to disconnect everything to get it back out.

6. Those spade connectors are brittle. One of them broke, so I had to splice in a new female side

Went for a drive tonight to see what difference it made. For the speedometer, makes a very significant improvement. Definitely worth it. For the tachometer, the left side is much brighter. Right side is still pretty dark. I'm wondering if one of the LEDs isn't working, so will take it apart again and check. Left gauge... parking brake warning light is much brighter. Fuel guage is still nearly unreadable at night (I think that has one of the tiny bulbs that is not the type that can be replaced with LED... I forgot..

Here's some pics and two videos. The first shows the OEM turn signal bulb, and the second shows it replaced with an LED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSvEb_r7BXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IphOdeOVTc

The instrument control functions such as turn signal, etc. are illuminated by 1.2 watt bulbs manufactured by Osram. The bulb holders for gauge illumination can be purchased from AirCooled.net http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=VDO

For the tachometer I would replace the bulb and/or holder. I had the same problem when I replaced my incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

+Quote Post
VW Aircooled Society
post Jan 23 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 22,818
Region Association: None

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 22 2014, 08:17 PM) *

I just copycatted ALs work, just because his method was the only one that seemed to brighten these gauges up the most.

Do a search with the LED bulb replacements, many people have mixed feelings with the results.

I have a few threads explaining how to install these LED strips inside the gauges, it's really not that bad of a project just time consuming.

If you take on this project, be sure to paint the inside of the gauge cans flat white, this is the best color to reflect the light. Also, with the tachometer, paint the back end of the bezel that holds the glass flat white. The gauge seems to be the dimmest due to the solid face dial.

Timothy

It's been 5 years since you posted on here in this thread so i am hoping that just maybe i might be able to get the response i need.

I am using the following 914 Gauge Cluster on my 1964 Titled Meyers Manx Dune Buggy...

I am curious as to the varios plastic covered glass lenses for the various lights on the instrument cluster such as Generator , Turn signals and such. Instead of going with the LED strips i have opted to replace the bulbs with BA7s LED bulbs
I also see two sets of Blue receptacles and wonder which one is the high beam on the tachometer or the one on the speedometer ????

Should i use colored LED bulbs in the already corresponding plastic colored lens receptacle or just use the cool white LEDs

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15438-1525435218.jpeg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15438-1525435197.jpeg)
+Quote Post
dknechtly
post Sep 30 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #49

Yellow 914

Member No.: 560

It's been 5 years since you posted on here in this thread so i am hoping that just maybe i might be able to get the response i need.

I am using the following 914 Gauge Cluster on my 1964 Titled Meyers Manx Dune Buggy...

I am curious as to the varios plastic covered glass lenses for the various lights on the instrument cluster such as Generator , Turn signals and such. Instead of going with the LED strips i have opted to replace the bulbs with BA7s LED bulbs
I also see two sets of Blue receptacles and wonder which one is the high beam on the tachometer or the one on the speedometer ????

Should i use colored LED bulbs in the already corresponding plastic colored lens receptacle or just use the cool white LEDs

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15438-1525435218.jpeg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15438-1525435197.jpeg)
[/quote]

You will need to use the same color LED as the plastic. White LED's don't have the full color spectrum. The color will look washed out.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 30 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 21,628

Use colored lights where they are going thru colored lenses. Red LEDs for Red lenses, etc.

HOWEVER - make sure to keep an incandescent bulb in the GEN position or it won't operate correctly. All others can be replaced with LED.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 5 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

4 different bulb holders, 2 bulb styles & new LED options:

Attached Image

Left to right:
spade remote ground, spade case ground, bayonet remote ground, bayonet case ground
New LED lamp for spade holder, 3 OEM bulbs

My Hi beam indicator lamp was barely visible even at night, now with new LED lamp, visible in daylight. Same lamp used in combo gage for backlighting, now brighter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Purchased from Amazon

Prior post shows LED lamps for the larger bayonet mount, which i hadn't seen before my quest for brighter lighting.

Also got new LED lamps for Rear tail light outer most positions, same size fits rear trunk housing.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 5 2020, 09:39 AM
Post #52

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I did the LED lights in the guage cluster ages ago and they really help.
One thing they do not do is DIM.

When you turn the headlight switch the gauge lights are supposed to dim. The LED bulbs just turn off. After you forget this, and then bump the headlight switch with your knee one day, it will cause you to spend a few hours chasing wiring before you figure out why all your dash lights just died.

Or... that's what i've been told...

Zach
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 6 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 11:39 AM) *

When you turn the headlight switch the gauge lights are supposed to dim. The LED bulbs just turn off. After you forget this, and then bump the headlight switch with your knee one day, it will cause you to spend a few hours chasing wiring before you figure out why all your dash lights just died.

Zach

My new LED lamps for instrument backlighting DO dim with with the headlight switch rotation.

Before installation, I tested them with either terminal positive and they worked either way.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 6 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 09:39 AM) *

Zach

I came across this thread a couple years ago while snooping around and filed it away in my brain to try sometime. Looks pretty slick. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=103294&hl=
+Quote Post
drem914
post Feb 27 2021, 03:10 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 9,062

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 5 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Left to right:
spade remote ground, spade case ground, bayonet remote ground, bayonet case ground
My Hi beam indicator lamp was barely visible even at night, now with new LED lamp, visible in daylight. Same lamp used in combo gage for backlighting, now brighter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Purchased from Amazon
Prior post shows LED lamps for the larger bayonet mount, which i hadn't seen before my quest for brighter lighting.

Do you have a listing for the colored spade bulbs you bought off Amazon?
Were the ba7 lts. 2 watt LEDs?
I have already swapped my bulbs previously for the single chip LEDs before they made the more powerful ones so I wanted to change the colored lts at the same time.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Feb 28 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 27 2021, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 5 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Left to right:
Purchased from Amazon

Do you have a listing for the colored spade bulbs you bought off Amazon?
Were the ba7 lts. 2 watt LEDs?
I have already swapped my bulbs previously for the single chip LEDs before they made the more powerful ones so I wanted to change the colored lts at the same time.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

here you go :

DODOFUN High Bright White T5 37 74 PC74 PC37 LED Bulb with Twist Lock Socket for Dashboard Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster Light and Map Vanity Mirror Glove Box Indicator Light
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 28 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #57

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just Do it the right way
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217100
triple the light you can do with bulbs.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 28 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #58

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 6 2020, 05:49 PM) *

My new LED lamps for instrument backlighting DO dim with with the headlight switch rotation.

Before installation, I tested them with either terminal positive and they worked either way.

@barefoot

Can you expand on how these LEDs can be dimmed with the OEM headlight rheostat?
+Quote Post
drem914
post Mar 1 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(barefoot @ Feb 28 2021, 03:57 PM) *

here you go :

DODOFUN High Bright White T5 37 74 PC74 PC37 LED Bulb with Twist Lock Socket for Dashboard Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster Light and Map Vanity Mirror Glove Box Indicator Light

Thanks,
+Quote Post
drem914
post Mar 1 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #60

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 28 2021, 04:12 PM) *

Just Do it the right way
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217100
triple the light you can do with bulbs.

I will do that after I try with these more powerful LEDs for $20 (200 LM each vs 50 LM in the original LED bulb swap from Carmagic and 914Rubber.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FR4FSW...ORAEU&psc=1

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:26 PM