Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedo cable, Boot wrong
jeffdon
post Aug 23 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

Here is a pic of my new speedo cable. This is the tranny end. The boot appears to be on the wrong way. Got this from the bird. Any one else have this issue? I am starting to loose faith in these guys.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 23 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

How is that on the wrong way? It is supposed to slide over the collar that you screw onto the speedo drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 23 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

its correct. you'll see when you install.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Aug 23 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2014, 02:33 PM) *

its correct. you'll see when you install.

How can it be right? I tried inverting the boot while on the cable, and it looks nothing like the one I just cut off my car. I am pretty sure this got put on wrong at the factory. I see no way of getting it off and re-installing the other way.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 23 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #5

Jeff, I am not following you. You dont take it off. You screw the collar onto the speedo drive and then slide the rubber cuff over the collar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That pic you have is correct. I have no idea what you had, but the pic is correct.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 23 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 23 2014, 05:48 PM) *

Jeff, I am not following you. You dont take it off. You screw the collar onto the speedo drive and then slide the rubber cuff over the collar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That pic you have is correct. I have no idea what you had, but the pic is correct.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Aug 23 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 23 2014, 02:48 PM) *

Isn't this a boot that is to go over the tube in the fire wall?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 23 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 23 2014, 08:25 PM) *

No. Read above.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Aug 23 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2014, 05:44 PM) *

No. Read above.

Ok, the cable has two boots. On that fits snugly over the end that screws to the speedo. The one in the picture fits well over the angle drive connection, but there is no boot for the tube where the cable goes into the tube in the firewall. That would need to be on the cable already, right?
+Quote Post
bluhun
post Aug 24 2014, 01:51 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,464
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 23 2014, 07:05 PM) *

No. Read above.

Ok, the cable has two boots. On that fits snugly over the end that screws to the speedo. The one in the picture fits well over the angle drive connection, but there is no boot for the tube where the cable goes into the tube in the firewall. That would need to be on the cable already, right?

I have the same issue. The problem is that the boots on the cable were installed incorrectly at the factory, i.e., the boot that should seal at the firewall is down at the speedo angle drive end and the boot that is supposed to slip over the angle drive is at the end that goes through the firewall. At least that is the problem with my cable.
+Quote Post
bluhun
post Aug 24 2014, 02:05 AM
Post #11

No. Read above.

The cable is supposed to have two boots, one for the speedometer angle drive, which you have, and another for the speedometer end. It appears that you only have the boot that fits over the speedo angle drive. My cable has both boots but they were put on backwards at the factory. It appears that there's a serious quality control issue at the factory.
+Quote Post
bluhun
post Aug 24 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #12

No. Read above.

My observation directly above regarding your cable is incorrect. What you have is the boot that fits over the tube at the firewall, fitted backwards on the cable. What you appear to be missing is the smaller boot that seals at the speedometer angle drive. Sorry for the confusion.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Aug 24 2014, 06:41 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(bluhun @ Aug 24 2014, 01:20 AM) *

No. Read above.

My observation directly above regarding your cable is incorrect. What you have is the boot that fits over the tube at the firewall, fitted backwards on the cable. What you appear to be missing is the smaller boot that seals at the speedometer angle drive. Sorry for the confusion.

Thats what I thought. So there should be a total of three boots, right?

+Quote Post
bluhun
post Aug 24 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 24 2014, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(bluhun @ Aug 24 2014, 01:20 AM) *

No. Read above.

Thats what I thought. So there should be a total of three boots, right?

No, just two boots. The smaller one fits over the speedo angle drive and the large one (the one in your picture) fits at the firewall.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 25 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #15

Here is the official pic from the PET. The lower part is the part that attaches to the transmission. Upper attaches either to the gauge or the angle drive depending on year.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 5 2014, 06:50 AM
Post #16

OK, I just replaced my speedo cable with a new Gemo one and now understand the issue that prompted the start of this thread.

See the pics. The old and the new are different. The boot on the firewall end is too small on the new one, and the collar on the gauge end is not captive like on the OE one. Makes for a bit of fun. Best way to install is to put tape on the gauge end just behind the collar to keep the collar from sliding back.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Sep 5 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have bought two cables for two cars in the past two years and both are wrong. I wasn't smart enough to send them back and complain...figured I just didn't understand these things yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ...but they're on now and driving. Grrrr. I should have posted here and learned something. The next one will be returned to the supplier.

Thanks guys.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 5 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #18

I bet if we get Glenns attention to this thread he may be able to enact a change (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I dont remember his screen name.
+Quote Post
Jacco
post Sep 5 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #19

Designated Dutchman

Member No.: 1,703
Region Association: Europe

Had the same experiece with the speedo cable.
Asked the question about the rubber boots to a couple of european resellers with pictures as above, comes down to this: factory claims they are exactly according to factory drawing. I decided to heat the rubber in hot water and carefully removed it to place it back correctly.

Jacco
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 5 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I don't know about the bulkhead boot.
I do know that the angle drive boot on any replacement cable that I've seen in twenty years has been wrong.
I'm lucky, I have one real original.
Now I have to check the bulkhead boot.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:49 PM