Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I Over Carbed?, Dual Weber 40 IDFs on 1.7
rhodyguy
post Aug 27 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

if you haven't done so, order or go to a vw parts store and buy one of these. then, everything we tell you will make sense and you'll know what we're talking about. i think they are cheaper from amazon than cb performance.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 28 2014, 06:22 AM
Post #22

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Along with the Tomlison Webber Manual above, you might try the following three from Amazon or AbeBooks.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 28 2014, 07:33 AM
Post #23

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 25 2014, 09:52 AM) *

I have been trying to drive my car comfortably but I am running across issues. Mainly after the car warms up it starts acting weird.

Coming to a stop and revs dropping. it just dies. Then I have to wait a minute or two to get started again. Then it runs a little rough, pops, backfires.

Just did the valves, points, timing but runs like crap when hot.

The engine is a 1.7 block with 1.7 heads and dual 40s. I don;t know if there was any work done internally but the block is a 71 and car is a 70.

It has been suggested that I am way overcarbed and running rich. i have no plans of building out this motor to match the carburation.

Am I better off selling off this dual weber set and putting on a single Weber 32/36?

I have my eye on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310953732343?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

I am thinking the weber and hex setup should be worth around $450?

What say you?

If you buy that single webber, you will be kicking yourself in the ass until you buy another pair of 40's. The single webber will run like shit.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Aug 28 2014, 09:24 AM
Post #24

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

I haven't had a chance to look at the jets yet. I do know they are clean since I cleaned them all and the tubes a few months ago.

The number 12 sticks in my head...jet size?

Assuming all is setup near correct, what adjustments should I be looking at? Float level sounds like it may be an issue. Idle mixture?

These books are great I am sure but honestly don't have the money and patience to go that route. Just want to get the car running somewhat smoothly.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2014, 10:32 AM
Post #25

the tomlinson book is $20. stating 'idle mixture" can refer to (1) idle jet sizing, (2) plugged idle jets, (3) idle air mixture screws…the trouble shooting guide is helpful to say the least. you will save yourself countless hours knowing precisely what is being referred to in the responses. much more direct rather than 'try this and then try that' which will get you nowhere and frustrated.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 28 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Gary,
Kevin and Stu have given you great tools to point you in the right direction. It's completely understandable to be frustrated with carbs - we've all been there. But keep in mind, this is a very simple system and can be fixed, but only with the proper understanding/knowledge. Part of that knowledge can be easily gained through the Tomlinson book. It's $20 that is well spent and you can always resell if it you don't use it again (which I highly doubt).

The rest is basically effort on your part. We're here to help. You need to get the jet sizes by pulling at minimum, one main jet and one idle jet. Otherwise we're just wandering around in the dark. The 28 mm venturis are a decent match, so the hard part is done.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2014, 10:52 AM
Post #27

george has travel the path you're on. to the point where provides a rebuild service. in addition, examine your JETS (all of them) one carb at a time and note what you have. it's not all that uncommon to have different sized jets on different carbs trying to cure some ill. you still need to know what jet does what and when.
+Quote Post
AE354803
post Aug 28 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 14,801
Region Association: Southern California

Am I the only one that is impressed by how clear that picture of the venturi inside the carb came out?

Writeup on carb rebuild is linked below, should give you a better understanding of what you're working with, all credit to George for the good writeup

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=weber+rebuild
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:56 AM