Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: No Way this is a Real '70 914-6 on Ebay
PancakePorsche
post Aug 27 2014, 02:26 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 25 2014, 02:14 PM) *

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-9...=p2056016.l4276

There is a lot wrong with this car:
adjustable passenger seat with '75-'76 large basket weave.
Dash knobs incorrect.
Drivers seat back cushion large basket weave, bottom cushion small basket weave.
COA say originally Tangerine, I don't see Tangerine anywhere on this car, paint code plate is either painted over or missing.
Door panels large basket weave.
Throttle handle red.

That's enough, someone else chime in.

Body is early 1974. Someone went through a lot of trouble to fool nobody. If this dealer bought this car from someone or some auction, they are getting that sick, sinking feeling right about now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 27 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #42

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How about the blue car @ 62k? Reserve appears to have been met with time left. Wow!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 27 2014, 08:31 AM
Post #43

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

This car definitely has a later front clip at the minimum. I do not see what everyone is talking about re the front fender VIN being seamed in. It looks to me like the VIN was taped over and then the trunk sprayed and the tape pulled. I do not see evidence of that VIN being welded in. Also the rest of the observations are accurate, adjustable passenger seat (pretty common upgrade on early cars with the fixed seat). Door panels replaced, jack mount missing, etc. I am not sure about it being a chassis swap as I do not know about the rear trunk number sequences and my car is in VA so I can't remember where that number belongs.... But this car at the minimum needs a complete and thorough inspection by a 914-6 expert to determine what it is or isn't. Just having a COA does not make it a real Six.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 27 2014, 09:01 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

Hmmm, just clicked on the link now and got ...

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Aug 27 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #45

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164

Adding some photos for future reference once the ebay listing is removed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Vin 9140430649 .
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Aug 27 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 27 2014, 07:31 AM) *

This car definitely has a later front clip at the minimum. I do not see what everyone is talking about re the front fender VIN being seamed in. It looks to me like the VIN was taped over and then the trunk sprayed and the tape pulled. I do not see evidence of that VIN being welded in. Also the rest of the observations are accurate, adjustable passenger seat (pretty common upgrade on early cars with the fixed seat). Door panels replaced, jack mount missing, etc. I am not sure about it being a chassis swap as I do not know about the rear trunk number sequences and my car is in VA so I can't remember where that number belongs.... But this car at the minimum needs a complete and thorough inspection by a 914-6 expert to determine what it is or isn't. Just having a COA does not make it a real Six.

Agree with you on the front vin, but if it got a front clip then it got a back clip as well since the chassis serial number is for a 4 cyl, both in sequence and location, and the jack mounts are for '73 and on. So then I guess the question would be does the passenger compartment floor show signs of having the adjustable passenger seat retro-fitted or did the car maybe get a center clip at some time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
So at the very least we have a car which during it's life needed a new front clip at some point a new rear clip at some point and a new pan at some point, but managed to hang on to it's original engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Aug 27 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

Ebay-auction ended ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

But the car -I'm sure it is- still available here:

http://dmcclassiccars.com/cars/porsche-9146/

+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Aug 27 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I sent the seller a message early yesterday morning explaining that he/they should check out the providence of the car. I explained briefly why I thought the car was not a real 6. I received a terse response telling me to f off. I replied with a link to this thread. I’m not surprised he pulled it off eBay. It is possible the seller did not know the car wasn’t a real 6. Of course, that doesn’t explain why the car is for sale elsewhere as a real 6. I suspect they are limiting their exposure. Maybe they think if they sell it locally and the next owner doesn’t know it’s history, their problem is solved.

Here is the given reason for removing the ad from eBay.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 27 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #49

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I imagine the 'good folks' @allamericanclassic had a crappy morning. Perhaps one of the guests reading the thread. Damn smarty pants 914 owners!
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 27 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 27 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Adding some photos for future reference once the ebay listing is removed.

Also, the front trunk ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i138.photobucket.com-12234-1409170972.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i138.photobucket.com-12234-1409170972.2.jpg)

... and the adjustable passenger seat with the retractable seat belt and the '75-'76 weave pattern
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i138.photobucket.com-12234-1409171577.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i138.photobucket.com-12234-1409170972.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Aug 27 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #51

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206

At some point in the future after this car changes hands some new owner is going to log on to this site and introduce themselves and their new real 6......

Having this history here is essential!

Great job guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 27 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Sad really because when the unsuspecting buyer pics it up and it gets inspected by the DMV for registration it very well could end up being flagged for the obvious VIN discrepancies and rot in an impound yard, or never see the streets again...

Clearly a later chassis with all (most) of the /6 parts swapped onto it...
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 27 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #53

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 27 2014, 07:19 PM) *

Sad really because when the unsuspecting buyer pics it up and it gets inspected by the DMV for registration it very well could end up being flagged for the obvious VIN discrepancies and rot in an impound yard, or never see the streets again...

Clearly a later chassis with all (most) of the /6 parts swapped onto it...

Or the Buyer could get it registered and a couple years later finds out he paid $50k for an abortion and it's too late to sue!
+Quote Post
warpig
post Aug 28 2014, 04:18 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 12,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Aug 27 2014, 12:30 PM) *

I sent the seller a message early yesterday morning explaining that he/they should check out the providence of the car. I explained briefly why I thought the car was not a real 6. I received a terse response telling me to f off. I replied with a link to this thread. I’m not surprised he pulled it off eBay. It is possible the seller did not know the car wasn’t a real 6. Of course, that doesn’t explain why the car is for sale elsewhere as a real 6. I suspect they are limiting their exposure. Maybe they think if they sell it locally and the next owner doesn’t know it’s history, their problem is solved.

I also sent an inquiry asking if he had a response to the "experts" consensus that it was not an original 6 with a link to this thread before going to bed this am. (working nights) When I checked the ad when I got up this afternoon it had been pulled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I didn't get a personal thank you for pointing out this potential discrepancy though, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) So I am feeling little left out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Aug 28 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah, I think I got taken on Ebay also, I will let you know when my COA arrives. Seller told me it was a real 914-6, it does have the badging on the back. Only thing that was correct on the listing was the body was down to bare metal and ready for paint.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
budk
post Aug 28 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #56

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(warpig @ Aug 28 2014, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Aug 27 2014, 12:30 PM) *

I also sent an inquiry asking if he had a response to the "experts" consensus that it was not an original 6 with a link to this thread before going to bed this am. (working nights) When I checked the ad when I got up this afternoon it had been pulled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I didn't get a personal thank you for pointing out this potential discrepancy though, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) So I am feeling little left out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Don't feel left out, a few of us sent inquiries earlier this week, so it was likely the volume of inquiries that got this pulled. The credit goes to the knowledgable experts who identified all the oddities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Aug 28 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #57

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 28 2014, 07:45 AM) *

Yeah, I think I got taken on Ebay also, I will let you know when my COA arrives. Seller told me it was a real 914-6, it does have the badging on the back. Only thing that was correct on the listing was the body was down to bare metal and ready for paint.

So are the wheels AND TIRES! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 28 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 28 2014, 09:45 AM) *

Attached ImageAttached Image

I wouldn't worry about it Mike. Looks legit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2014, 07:04 AM
Post #59

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hey, send that to Scotty and it will look brand new again! Seriously, I love that; how big is it? Where did you get it?
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Aug 29 2014, 07:18 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 13,069

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 29 2014, 05:04 AM) *

Hey, send that to Scotty and it will look brand new again! Seriously, I love that; how big is it? Where did you get it?

Got it on Ebay! It is 17" x 7" and really just a one off piece, I have not seen anything like it before. Artist signed the piece "Joel Marketello" never heard of him but he put a lot of work into this, its awesome!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:49 PM