Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Off Topic Question, Cut out on VW Jetta
partwerks
post Aug 25 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

Within the first 4 minutes of a cold engine, my 96 VW Jetta, has this thing where it will intermittently cut out. If you happen to be stopped, one of two things, if you let it run it's course, then the idle will fluctuate up and down from about 700 to 900 for about 5 seconds, or there abouts, and then the idle goes high to about 1200, for about 5 seconds, and comes down to normal idle.

On the other hand, if you slam the pedal down, and let back up quck, it tends to clear it out, and everything is normal. Otherwise, it runs just fine once it has it's fit.

I've cleaned all the grounds that I know of, and replaced the coolant temp sensor, and throttle body, but not sure what is causing it??

I'm hoping someone might have an idea on what is causing it.

It would almost make me think that it is something that when it first warms up?

Any, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 26 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

What codes is the ECM throwing?
+Quote Post
AfricanHijinx
post Aug 26 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,928
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 25 2014, 09:01 PM) *

Within the first 4 minutes of a cold engine, my 96 VW Jetta, has this thing where it will intermittently cut out. If you happen to be stopped, one of two things, if you let it run it's course, then the idle will fluctuate up and down from about 700 to 900 for about 5 seconds, or there abouts, and then the idle goes high to about 1200, for about 5 seconds, and comes down to normal idle.

On the other hand, if you slam the pedal down, and let back up quck, it tends to clear it out, and everything is normal. Otherwise, it runs just fine once it has it's fit.

I've cleaned all the grounds that I know of, and replaced the coolant temp sensor, and throttle body, but not sure what is causing it??

I'm hoping someone might have an idea on what is causing it.

It would almost make me think that it is something that when it first warms up?

Any, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

check your PCV and your vacuum lines
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Is it a complete cutout or just loss of power but still moving?

I had a problem on my 2002 VR6 where my spark plug wires were going bad and the symptoms were sporadic loss of power (but not complete cutout).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 26 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #5

There is no engine check light that is coming on.

I just put on new wires about 7 months ago, and distributor cap, maf, throttle body.

I've been also told to check something called the ISV and the back of the intake manifold where that hose connects to? Not sure what that is?
I'm not sure where it is located at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Idle-Control-V...=p2054897.l4275

Not a complete cut out. Just like pulling a plug wire randomly off and on.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 27 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #6

Well I hope the mechanic finds out what it's problem is. It did not want to stay running this morning, but for about 5 seconds, and shut off. No engine check light. I was able to limp it down to a mechanc about a mile across town, with restarting it about 25 times. When konking out, I would let it roll a ways, and kept millking it. Sometimes to floor board it, it would tend to catch, but definitely is NOT running right.

I don't know if there are codes that don't set off the engine check light, that may show up on a scanner?
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 29 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Took it to the mechanic:

Ck codes17535, fuel trim bank 1, system too rich P1127, 16486 Mass air flow sensor signal too low PO102, found intake air hose off of throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor.

Only thing that didn't make sense, is if it is the hose that hooks to that brass fitting on the TB, as I recall, it was on there the first time I opened the hood to try and see what the whole ordeal was about. It doesn't pull off easy, and was a hose clamp holding it on. Unless he was talking about some other hose, and/or was a bit loose or something, but probably would have noticed that when I opened the hood the first time, if it was off, but runs good now...........

I don't see any other hose on the TB?
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 29 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Try posting on http://forums.vwvortex.com/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:03 PM