Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> car is bucking under acceleration...any ideas?
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 28 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #21

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

don't you love the simple fixes
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Aug 28 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #22

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Definitely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Aug 28 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #23

J is for Genius

Celebrated too soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Went for another drive tonight, and it was bucking again. It seems to be way worse when the engine is cold, and once warmed up it seems to go away for the most part.
Arrrgggghhh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Aug 29 2014, 02:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 28 2014, 08:44 PM) *

Celebrated too soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Went for another drive tonight, and it was bucking again. It seems to be way worse when the engine is cold, and once warmed up it seems to go away for the most part.
Arrrgggghhh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Symptoms indicative of overall lean mixture. Make sure you have at least 30 PSI available at fuel rails. Factory setting was 28 PSI but that was when gas was "real" gas.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 2 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #25

J is for Genius

Got a friend bringing over his fuel pressure gauge later this week. I've driven through two tanks of gas with the new filter, and the bucking has gone away completely when accelerating in a straight line whether or not the engine is cold or warm, and whether or not I accelerate hard or slowly.

The bucking has also gone away under hard cornering only if I complete the downshift prior to starting the turn and maintain 3K+ revs through the turn. But if I shift during or after cornering hard, the bucking happens while trying to accelerate away from the turn. I can power through the bucking by putting the pedal to the floor, however that's not always possible with traffic.

I'll see what my pressure readings are. But for some reason the G forces of cornering while momentarily in neutral are causing the issue.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 2 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #26

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Make sure you have at least 30 PSI available at fuel rails. Factory setting was 28 PSI but that was when gas was "real" gas.

Disregard that since you have a carb now. You don't have fuel rails anymore. Your carb only wants about 5 PSI.

Check your new filter. If there was a bunch of crap in the bottom of the tank it could have clogged the new filter quickly.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 2 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #27

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 2 2014, 08:20 PM) *

Make sure you have at least 30 PSI available at fuel rails. Factory setting was 28 PSI but that was when gas was "real" gas.

Disregard that since you have a carb now. You don't have fuel rails anymore. Your carb only wants about 5 PSI.

Check your new filter. If there was a bunch of crap in the bottom of the tank it could have clogged the new filter quickly.

What?
Actually I don't have a carb and I do have fuel rails. Note the car listed in my signature (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

The car has been performing better since the new filter. Still just trying to work out the last issue under hard cornering.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 2 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I would suggest a few things.
A new fuel tank sock on the return line at the fuel tank...
Check all your fuel lines.
Check all your wiring, make sure all the fuel injection wiring is properly connected and not loose...it happens.

Do new points, new plugs, and new wires, rotor and distributor cap.
Remove the advance plates and clean then inside the distributor...40 year old grease is like glue now...

Remove the if trigger points and blow out all the crap from the bottom of the distributor.

Full tune up
Set valves
Set dwell
Set timing
Check fuel pressure.

Now you would have eliminated a large number of variables...it's just a good place to start.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 2 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 2 2014, 08:47 PM) *

Check all your wiring, make sure all the fuel injection wiring is properly connected and not loose...it happens.

Remove the advance plates and clean then inside the distributor...40 year old grease is like glue now...

Remove the if trigger points and blow out all the crap from the bottom of the distributor.

Full tune up
Set valves
Set dwell
Set timing
Check fuel pressure.

Now you would have eliminated a large number of variables...it's just a good place to start.

Couple of extra things I thought of:

Check your injectors for flow since your filter was plugged.

Check your MPS....hopefully it is bolted down in the bracket with spark plug wires not near it and not just hanging somewhere. That might explain the cornering issue.

My .02.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 3 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #30

J is for Genius

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 2 2014, 11:47 PM) *

Full tune up
Set valves
Set dwell
Set timing
Check fuel pressure.

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor are all only a few months old. I've put in a new pertronix elec ignition and flame thrower coil also.
FI wiring has been gone through and all contact points cleaned.
Valve adjustment, timing, and dwell has been done in the last couple months.
All FI hoses are only a few months old, and routed correctly.
Injectors are all recently rebuilt - all bought here from a couple different forum members.
All 4 elbow hoses are new. The rest of the fuel hoses are relatively new (I didn't install them, but they're definitely not OE.)

I plan on having the fuel tank cleaned and a new sock installed by a local air-cooled shop here in town.

Is there a good guide somewhere to pulling and cleaning the dizzy? This is really the only other thing I haven't done.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 3 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #31

J is for Genius

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 3 2014, 12:22 AM) *

Couple of extra things I thought of:

Check your injectors for flow since your filter was plugged.

Check your MPS....hopefully it is bolted down in the bracket with spark plug wires not near it and not just hanging somewhere. That might explain the cornering issue.

My .02.

I'll check my injectors again. I did this crap in the wrong order! I went injectors->filter->tank. Doh! At least I know better now, ha!

MPS is bolted down snug. I had to pull it out of the way when I replaced my injectors, and I made sure it was nice and secure when I replaced it.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 3 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #32

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 3 2014, 11:05 AM) *

Is there a good guide somewhere to pulling and cleaning the dizzy? This is really the only other thing I haven't done.

I say again (from page 1 of this thread), you may want to read this thread in its entirety, including the part about servicing the dizzy. It may help, it may not, but I found it useful for cleaning the dizzy.

In terms of pulling it: most people have to loosen up the timing barrel nut (or whatever you call that 10 mm thing that secures the dizzy in position for timing) and rotate the dizzy counterclockwise. Then you can get a 13 mm socket down there to remove the nut securing the dizzy in place. Once you get that nut out you can pull the dizzy straight out (after disconnecting wires, vacuum lines, etc). Depending on the type/shape of the O-ring seal, it may require some modest amount of force to pull out. Place something like a rag inside the hole so dirt that's hanging out there doesn't fall into the well. I have seen some people say they can get that 13 mm nut off without rotating the dizzy (and messing up the timing), but I was not able to.

When you put it back in after cleaning, notice that the gear is offset so the dizzy will only go back in one way. If you replace the O-ring, keep in mind it might be tighter to get it back in and may require some force.

Also, getting that 13 mm nut back on during reinstall requires dexterous fingers. May want to have your magnet ready to retrieve the nut a couple of times.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 3 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I assumed you had already done this.

Get intimate with your distributor or you will be chasing your own tail.

Puns intended.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 3 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #34

J is for Genius

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 3 2014, 11:22 AM) *

I say again (from page 1 of this thread), you may want to read this thread in its entirety, including the part about servicing the dizzy. It may help, it may not, but I found it useful for cleaning the dizzy.

Oh damn! Sorry about that. I got so wrapped up in the fuel system I forgot you'd linked to that thread.

Looks like that's just the info I need.

Is it necessary to replace the o-ring?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 3 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 3 2014, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 3 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Oh damn! Sorry about that. I got so wrapped up in the fuel system I forgot you'd linked to that thread.

Looks like that's just the info I need.

Is it necessary to replace the o-ring?

No worries. No, if the O-ring is in good shape, it's not really necessary. It's just that it's cheap and easy to replace. One of those "feel good" maintenance items. I actually put my old one back on because the new one I purchased didn't seem to fit right and was making it very difficult to get the dizzy back in place.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 3 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #36

Sorry, a couple more things to note: you probably need to get some distributor grease. That's really the best thing to reapply after you clean out all the existing gunk. Also, make sure to grease up the distributor shaft where the points make contact on the cam. After I cleaned mine I don't think I lubed that sufficiently (or at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) and I noticed my dwell wouldn't stay in the same place. Cap'n Krusty suggested that the pad on the points was wearing down quickly without the grease, and he's probably right. I think that solved that problem.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 3 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #37

J is for Genius

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 3 2014, 04:08 PM) *

Sorry, a couple more things to note: you probably need to get some distributor grease. That's really the best thing to reapply after you clean out all the existing gunk. Also, make sure to grease up the distributor shaft where the points make contact on the cam. After I cleaned mine I don't think I lubed that sufficiently (or at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) and I noticed my dwell wouldn't stay in the same place. Cap'n Krusty suggested that the pad on the points was wearing down quickly without the grease, and he's probably right. I think that solved that problem.

Thanks for the tip! I've got elec ignition though, so no points to worry about.

Other than that did you just grease between the two advance plates - like a grease sandwich? And then some on the ball bearing? Anywhere else I should hit while I'm in there?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 3 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 3 2014, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 3 2014, 04:08 PM) *

Thanks for the tip! I've got elec ignition though, so no points to worry about.

Other than that did you just grease between the two advance plates - like a grease sandwich? And then some on the ball bearing? Anywhere else I should hit while I'm in there?

I think that's pretty much it. A modest amount of dizzy grease between the plates and on the ball. Maybe put a drop or two of oil on the felt that comes out of the shaft. Check the quality of the ground strap between the two plates, too. That can cause issues if that's not making a good connection.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
jacksun
post Sep 3 2014, 07:52 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 16,224
Region Association: Upper MidWest

hi, maybe the below will help?

"Throttle Switch

by

Kjell Nelin

The throttle switch can be found mounted underneath the throttle body. To test, turn on the ignition and open the throttle with your hand. You should be able to hear the injectors firing, a sort of "brrrrrrp" noise. If working correctly, the injectors will fire 20 times for the full range of movement. One very mysterious intermittent
fault caused by the throttle switch is an occasional "bucking" while driving at constant speed. This is caused by the switch cutting of the fuel and then turning it back
on. Test by disconnecting the switch (it is amazing how well the car will run without it, actually), you will notice that acceleration will be a little sluggish as the
"accelerator pump" action will be missing. "

+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 15 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #40

J is for Genius

Aha! i finally got it. After a couple weeks or whatever of dealing with this, and after cleaning the dizzy, cleaning every electrical contact I could find, after replacing the fuel filter, and after thinking I had a bad intake air temp sensor, and having nothing permanently fix the problem...I finally figured the issue out!

I decided to clean all the multi pin connectors on the relay board today, and when I went to unhook the negative battery terminal, the clamp broke off of the main ground wire that connects to the chassis. There were probably only a couple wires of the multi core cable still attached to the clamp, which would've not been enough to handle the full current all the electronics needed. Probably on occasion the wire would move close enough to the connector to make decent contact for full power, and then move away again when I'd lose power.

Got a new connector on there and the car is GOLDEN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Full power under all driving conditions, and everything on the car seems to be working better.
Moral of the story: check the obvious shit first before diving into the complex stuff!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:06 AM