Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inherited a couple 914's looking for insight-Pictures posted, Valuation
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 27 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(swedishSTile @ Aug 27 2014, 04:26 PM) *

Cars are in Southern California. If anyone wants to look at them after this weekend you are more than welcome! HA! No reasonable offer refused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) and quick is good.

Points well taken. If they end up being worth next to nothing, be that as it may. Maybe it will make them easier to unload as parts bin cars. Hoping I dont have an extended headache on my hands.

Looking around it seems like everyone converts the fuel injected motors to carb. Is the fuel injection kit worthless and is it even worth my time going to the trouble to sell or should I bin it>?

"Everyone"? Hardly. While there are a number of list members who have done so, they're in the minority, and it's usually a last resort kinda thing, or an unwillingness to properly troubleshoot and repair the EFI. Most of those who do convert their cars bug us for months, or even years, with questions about how to get their cars to run right. The volume of their posts make it seem like they're in the majority. Others just put up with it. Some of those are defiant in the defense of their choice ....... Those who change the camshaft when they do the carb conversion seem happier, though, than those who don't.

Welcome to the zoo. You're the lucky winner of a response on the one day I'm in a good mood! Consider it an unearned free pass!

The Cap'n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 27 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Swedishstyle,

I just re-read your earlier posts... you have a tool kit? I've been looking everywhere for one.

Are you sure it's really a 914 tool kit? If so, wanna sell it?

Here's what it should look like:

EDIT: This is a picture another member posted. Guys, was there a difference in the kits among years? In any case, I'd like an OEM kit from any year, if I can't find a '74 kit.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Aug 28 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 17,352

QUOTE(swedishSTile @ Aug 27 2014, 04:58 PM) *

I am in orange county and the cars are at the moment in Simi Valley but will be down here shortly.

Thanks Cuda! Thats really what I was looking for. I think I probably have one in the parts bin category, one in the junky running category and one in the decent but flawed category. Those may all get downgraded a notch once I have time to sort them out.

Any input on the new-old-stock fuel injection system? Junk too?

I am in Mission Viejo (South OC) and may be able to offer some help with looking over the rust issues.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 28 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #24

Swedish, see my question above regarding the tool kit. Also, forgot to mention... that FI kit is definitely not junk. If you have any plans to toss it, I'll be glad to take it.

Lots of these cars have been converted over to carbs, and it's often tough to find the stuff to return to FI.

Many people, myself included, prefer the original FI to carbs.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #25

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Take some time, thumb thru the classifieds (both cars& parts) so you have some idea of the values of the items you have.

+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 28 2014, 08:40 AM
Post #26

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2014, 08:26 PM) *

Cars are in Southern California. If anyone wants to look at them after this weekend you are more than welcome! HA! No reasonable offer refused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) and quick is good.

Points well taken. If they end up being worth next to nothing, be that as it may. Maybe it will make them easier to unload as parts bin cars. Hoping I dont have an extended headache on my hands.

Looking around it seems like everyone converts the fuel injected motors to carb. Is the fuel injection kit worthless and is it even worth my time going to the trouble to sell or should I bin it>?

"Everyone"? Hardly. While there are a number of list members who have done so, they're in the minority, and it's usually a last resort kinda thing, or an unwillingness to properly troubleshoot and repair the EFI. Most of those who do convert their cars bug us for months, or even years, with questions about how to get their cars to run right. The volume of their posts make it seem like they're in the majority. Others just put up with it. Some of those are defiant in the defense of their choice ....... Those who change the camshaft when they do the carb conversion seem happier, though, than those who don't.

Welcome to the zoo. You're the lucky winner of a response on the one day I'm in a good mood! Consider it an unearned free pass!

The Cap'n

Dang, a Krusty Kredit on the Guy's 2nd Day!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2014, 08:44 AM
Post #27

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2014, 08:26 PM) *

The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
SOME will change to carbs, but many dont, and lots go back to FI after failed experimentation with carbs. - i am referring to stock motors. -
I bought a 75 2.0 5 years ago, and immediately dug in to get the FI working. I've driven both well sorted carbed cars and FI and the FI is better IMHO. - it took me 2 weeks ang some sorting but i had my car running quickly but with cars that have been sitting here are some things you need to do. -
-pull the tank-
-replace the lines, pump, filters etc.
-test the injectors and all FI componenents
-eliminate all vac leaks
- test the MPS - this will be the thing that wil lkeep it from running,
in my case the mps was mounted upside down, water had gotten into it thru the weep holes on the bottom side and ruined it. once replaced it fired right up. -
i since replaced all the wiring with a new harness and all sensors, but it runs like a new car now and has for several years.

good luck and also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) !

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
swedishSTile
post Aug 28 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 17,827
Region Association: None

Cuda- I do have a tool kit that looks like that. I think I may have two. The car I am sure has a tool kit is the single owner orange car with all its paper work and original equipment and the tool kit will probably stay with it. After this weekend I will know more of what I have and if I indeed have a second I will PM you.

PlantMan-I may take you up on that offer.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I am starting to get a better idea what I have and what I need to do. I have a small mountain of work in front of me I think.

On top of everything else I have six 18 x 18 x 24 plastic bins full of parts, a front rubber bumper strip an extra rear deck lid and a collection of bits and pieces I can only guess at. I am hoping to have two of the cars in OC by monday pending trailer and truck arrangements.

Sleeping on everything another night has definitely relaxed me a bit and the input of the 914 community has helped. It is refreshing to hop on an adult forum and get reasonable responses. So often its just flaming, pissing contests and internet know it all's with no real support. Much thanks everyone!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 28 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Without pics it is tough to give much of an evaluation. Yes a roller with rust can be worth $500 depending on what it has parts wise. Other than that the price range varies a lot. I would have one of the local guys come by. Projects always sell for pennies on the dollar. Typically any project is going to fall in the $500-2000 range for me. Although there are plenty of those I just walk away from. You are definitely in the right place & checking with the right people (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Get the local guys by & you'll get things figured pretty quick. Can't wait to see those pics
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #30

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a suggestion. if you should decide to sell parts, start laying in a supply of boxes. all sizes. for smaller items go to the post office, get assorted sizes of the FREE flat rate boxes and determine your pricing "shipping included". doing this will save you countess hours. you don't want to have items SOLD! then encounter shipping delays while you go on a box hunt. people hate it.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 28 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you were in the PHX valley it would fun to see what you have... you should have many in your area in So Cal.

Recently there was a craigs list in Des Moines for 2 914 parts car free to anyone who hauled the cars and parts away. Never got a response to my contact for more info. Your stuff sounds a lot better than that.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 28 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #32

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Looking around it seems like everyone converts the fuel injected motors to carb.

No. Carbs is a step *backwards* on any stock 914 motor.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Aug 28 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #33

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(swedishSTile @ Aug 28 2014, 11:53 AM) *

It is refreshing to hop on an adult forum and get reasonable responses. So often its just flaming, pissing contests and internet know it all's with no real support. Much thanks everyone!

This really is one of the friendliest forums on the net. I belong to a few dozen that I'm somewhat active on, (it takes a lot to keep up with all my hobbies) and 914World has more helpful people than anywhere.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 28 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #34

Thanks Swedish!!

Guys, you saw it right here.... I have first dibs on the tool kit if he has a spare one.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Aug 28 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(swedishSTile @ Aug 27 2014, 03:26 PM) *

Don't junk the extra 2.0 system, they are not gold like some people seem to think, but they are not worthless either. I dont know anyone who wouldn't prefer stock fuel injection on an otherwise stock motor.

Really need pictures of everything you have.

If you are planning on junking anything, talk to Bruce Stone first, he is local and might haul it off for you, depending on what it is.

I hate to see parts go in the trash that might be used to save someones car.

-James
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 28 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I'm in Orange County, feel free to contact me about looking at the cars. Also, Colin Greene is right here too.
+Quote Post
swedishSTile
post Sep 4 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 17,827
Region Association: None

Pictures are up. Sorry for the extreme delay. Work has me busy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:13 AM