Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seat vinyl repair suggestions needed, Best way to repair this?
tumamilhem
post Aug 27 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #1

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

I have three rips on the side of my driver seat. Any suggestions how to repair this well? I have a 1' square of OEM vinyl for repairs. If can't be repaired but needs to be replaced, who has OEM replacement upholstery (or the closest thing to it so no difference is noticeable)? Thanks.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 27 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

It needs replacement. Go to an auto upholstery place near you. Good ones should be able to source a material that is very, very close.

Figure a few hundred dollars to have the work done.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 27 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Replacement! The rest of the Vinyl may be aged from Heat as well
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 27 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #4

LUFTBRIGADE

I know places make replacement upholstery that is OEM or close to OEM vinyl. I'd rather get something made specifically for the car rather than someone try to find something close to it (one place I went to had nothing close). AA makes replacement fitted upholstry, claiming it's OEM vinyl. Anybody have this or anything close to OEM (and where did you get it and how does it differ from OEM?).
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 27 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Aug 27 2014, 04:55 PM) *

I know places make replacement upholstery that is OEM or close to OEM vinyl. I'd rather get something made specifically for the car rather than someone try to find something close to it ...

I've been told that the domestic stuff is really good and a close match, but in my opinion you should bite the bullet and get the OEM stuff ... your car is worth it.

World Upholstery has some sample images of Porsche vinyl. You'll need the early vinyl for your 914.

http://www.worlduph.com/samples/porvin2.htm

Rather than a seat kit, I think buying raw vinyl and having a really good upholsterer do the install gives the best results. Seat kits never seem to fit quite right and have wrinkles that spoil the look ... maybe it's because it's the DIY guys that buy the kits.

There's one thing on your picture that puzzles me ... is that a heat sealed seam on the side of your bolster (by the seatbelt)?
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Aug 27 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 27 2014, 04:17 PM) *

I know places make replacement upholstery that is OEM or close to OEM vinyl. I'd rather get something made specifically for the car rather than someone try to find something close to it ...

I've been told that the domestic stuff is really good and a close match, but in my opinion you should bite the bullet and get the OEM stuff ... your car is worth it.

World Upholstery has some sample images of Porsche vinyl. You'll need the early vinyl for your 914.

Rather than a seat kit, I think buying raw vinyl and having a really good upholsterer do the install gives the best results. Seat kits never seem to fit quite right and have wrinkles that spoil the look ... maybe it's because it's the DIY guys that buy the kits.

There's one thing on your picture that puzzles me ... is that a heat sealed seam on the side of your bolster (by the seatbelt)?

I just picked up two seats with new bolster vinyl replacing the classic electrical tape application by PO. Don't screw around if you are not a pro in this arena.

Shop around too, my price spread for two seats was $1,000!!!!

I have two more to do in September for my second 914.

Hey, my friend is parting out a 914. If he redoes the seats, what can he sell them for?
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Aug 27 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #7

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i have an upholstery guy that just did this on a customer seat. $125. You have to do the top and bottom bolsters, because the material shrinks, from age and heat.
Craig AT CAMP
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 28 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #8

LUFTBRIGADE

I'm not sure if they are heat sealed. Will have to check.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 28 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #9

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 27 2014, 08:17 PM) *

Yeah I'd rather have OEM to keep my LE as OG as possible. But not sure where to find it. Thanks for the link. Will check it out. AA says they have OEM replacement vinyl kits and not expensive. My concern with having someone stitch it together (instead of a kit) is that the stitching won't be exact from original vinyl.

Anybody have pictures of their replacement vinyl kits?
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Aug 29 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just like the dent pulling guys, there are people who specialize in vinyl repair. From close up in your pics, the damage looks awful, but some of the guys are true artists and maybe the final result will be acceptable. Might want to call around local car dealers, they often have a relationship with repair people when those new car mishaps need fixing.

Paul
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 29 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Here's a gigantor image of my driver's seat that looked very similar to yours. German OEM vinyl (or so I was told) was used to fix the bolster. Click the image so you can see it humongous size. Notice the stitching on the edge of the bolster. I wasn't happy with the way it was done the first time, so I had the upholsterer redo it. Truth be told, I'm still not 100% satisfied because I think the stitching is slightly wider than the way it was originally done. But overall, I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 29 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #12

LUFTBRIGADE

Yes, I see what you're saying. I want the stitching to match to OEM plus it will need to match the other seat too. Did you use a seat replacement kit or just had some vinyl and had it stitched to fit? If so, where did you get it? Thanks for your input and pic! VERY nice looking Signal Orange 73, btw! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Aug 29 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,407
Region Association: None

Go to AA web site you can get just back piece's for $82.50. John
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 29 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Aug 29 2014, 12:52 PM) *

Yes, I see what you're saying. I want the stitching to match to OEM plus it will need to match the other seat too. Did you use a seat replacement kit or just had some vinyl and had it stitched to fit? If so, where did you get it? Thanks for your input and pic! VERY nice looking Signal Orange 73, btw! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No, not a seat kit, just straight vinyl that the upholstery shop, Aby's Custom Upholstery in San Jose, Calif. did up for me.

As I mentioned previously, I don't think a seat kit will get you the tight, wrinkle free fit that you want.
Look at the seat below. See the wrinkles on the bolster? See how the seams looks wrong around the headrest?
Attached Image

Remember the Wheeler Dealers episode about the 914? Edd China reupholstered the seats using a seat kit. Same problem as the one above ...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 29 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #15

LUFTBRIGADE

Yeah, that would drive me absolutely nuts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:06 AM