Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering Issues, Sorting out my new car.
earossi
post Aug 27 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Took delivery today on my refreshed 76 914. Changed my avatar to reflect what the car looks like now that it has been delivered.

I had expected to find things that will need to be changed and/or fixed. I was not disappointed. I have a list of several items.

The major items, to me, are two issues with the steering.

First, there is a loud squeak/squeal from somewhere along the steering column. Sounds like a dry bushing rubbing on the steering shaft of perhaps a seized bearing. Any ideas of the common failures that would create the load squeak/squeal that I hear every time I turn the wheel to the right or left?

The second steering issue is play in the steering wheel. I had expected none since I have replaced every suspension piece that would create any sloppiness. I want the steering to be very tight with very little if any play in the wheel.

In the suspension, I have replaced all front end suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and struts. I did NOT replace the rack since the seller indicated that it appeared fine. And, to my knowledge, nothing was replaced in the steering system between the rack and the steering wheel of the car.

The steering wheel play is quite a lot - 2 to 3 inches to the left and right of center before the steering feels that it hooks up with the suspension. I had a similar symptom on one of my BMW's and solved the issue by replacing the U-joint on the steering shaft where it connected to the rack. How many U-joints are there in a 914 steering system? And, how difficult are they to replace? How pricey are the joints and where is the best place to source them?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide from past history on your cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 27 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

there is a coupler at the rack to the steering shaft that could be bad
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 28 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

There are two U-joints and the coupler. The U-joints have bolts that can loosen, and the coupler can progressively fail.

--DD
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 28 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 28 2014, 01:40 AM) *

This is probably the issue...unfortunately it requires you to take out the gas tank to get to it!

I had this exact problem. Basically, at the end of the steering shaft after it goes through the fire wall, there is a rubber 'coupler' that requires bolts to go up from the bottom (to hold the coupler to the steering shaft) and down from the top (to hold the coupler to the steering rack) through this rubber coupler. (in the first picture, the little nubs you see on the right and left of the steering shaft 'flange are the bolt ends coming from the other side of the rubber coupler to hold it to the shaft...the bolt heads you see go through and bolt to the steering rack...)

Attached Image

Attached Image

there are 'tubes' for the bolts to go through to keep them from wearing down the rubber. If any of these bolts come loose, you will experience exactly what you are feeling. You will notice that there is a little band that is supposed to be bent around the bolt head to keep it from moving...PITA to pry open if you have to fix this.

the other thing we had happen was the bolts that hold the steering rack to the chassis came loose...That's an easy fix: take off the under pan that covers the steering rack and make sure the bolts that hold it to the chassis are tight.

last thing to check is the bushing and guide that goes through the firewall (again, the gas tank needs to come out to check this)

good luck!
+Quote Post
earossi
post Aug 28 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,878

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 28 2014, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 28 2014, 01:40 AM) *

This is probably the issue...unfortunately it requires you to take out the gas tank to get to it!

I had this exact problem. Basically, at the end of the steering shaft after it goes through the fire wall, there is a rubber 'coupler' that requires bolts to go up from the bottom (to hold the coupler to the steering shaft) and down from the top (to hold the coupler to the steering rack) through this rubber coupler. (in the first picture, the little nubs you see on the right and left of the steering shaft 'flange are the bolt ends coming from the other side of the rubber coupler to hold it to the shaft...the bolt heads you see go through and bolt to the steering rack...)

Attached Image

Attached Image

there are 'tubes' for the bolts to go through to keep them from wearing down the rubber. If any of these bolts come loose, you will experience exactly what you are feeling. You will notice that there is a little band that is supposed to be bent around the bolt head to keep it from moving...PITA to pry open if you have to fix this.

the other thing we had happen was the bolts that hold the steering rack to the chassis came loose...That's an easy fix: take off the under pan that covers the steering rack and make sure the bolts that hold it to the chassis are tight.

last thing to check is the bushing and guide that goes through the firewall (again, the gas tank needs to come out to check this)

good luck!

Thanks for the narrative and the pictures. I really appreciate that. So, once I have the fuel tank out of the car, how difficult is it to access the coupler, the bushing, and the U-joints? And, do the U-joints have a history of wearing out, or is it just their securing hardware that is an issue?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Aug 28 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

The u joints are under the dash inside the car. I have never seen a worn one.
You may also have bad inner tie rod ends. They are rubber bushings that get worn and sloppy. You can check them with the steering rack cover removed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 29 2014, 05:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

I had the same slop in steering. Coupler was worn out. (See picture)

Replacing the steering coupler is not that hard because even I did it.

Remove gas tank.
I cut the plastic steering cover off.
Remove the bracket at the top of the steering column.
Remove bolts in coupler and replace.

I got a new one from Chris at Tangerine Racing:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/otherproducts.htm

I got longer bolts with lock nuts. Maybe overkill but made me feel safer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 29 2014, 06:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 194

Let see some more pictures of your car. I really like the color and the red interior.
Here's a picture I have
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 29 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 73

I might be able to help you with that in a few days Ernie. Be careful taking the tank out. You'll want to take the hood off so you don't scratch that new paint. Sounds like the coupler might be it. Could just be loose or it's worn out. Now that you widened the track and added wider tires it has to work just a little harder. The steering rack mechanism itself is rarely a problem BTW.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:50 PM