Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Steering Issues, Sorting out my new car.
earossi
post Aug 27 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Took delivery today on my refreshed 76 914. Changed my avatar to reflect what the car looks like now that it has been delivered.

I had expected to find things that will need to be changed and/or fixed. I was not disappointed. I have a list of several items.

The major items, to me, are two issues with the steering.

First, there is a loud squeak/squeal from somewhere along the steering column. Sounds like a dry bushing rubbing on the steering shaft of perhaps a seized bearing. Any ideas of the common failures that would create the load squeak/squeal that I hear every time I turn the wheel to the right or left?

The second steering issue is play in the steering wheel. I had expected none since I have replaced every suspension piece that would create any sloppiness. I want the steering to be very tight with very little if any play in the wheel.

In the suspension, I have replaced all front end suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and struts. I did NOT replace the rack since the seller indicated that it appeared fine. And, to my knowledge, nothing was replaced in the steering system between the rack and the steering wheel of the car.

The steering wheel play is quite a lot - 2 to 3 inches to the left and right of center before the steering feels that it hooks up with the suspension. I had a similar symptom on one of my BMW's and solved the issue by replacing the U-joint on the steering shaft where it connected to the rack. How many U-joints are there in a 914 steering system? And, how difficult are they to replace? How pricey are the joints and where is the best place to source them?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide from past history on your cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 11:45 PM