Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 73 SoCal Rebuild
914_teener
post Oct 19 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Just my two bits......

You may want to "ring" out that harness just to make sure the wiring is sound while it's out. Visually inspect the ground point ends and the areas around that looks hardened...so to make sure the wires aren't making intermittent contact. Sounds like you know what you are doing and realize how important electrical contacts are to D-jet running well.

Make sure the vaccum hoses are refreshed and especially the fuel lines as they will be under more that 30psi. I'm using the new CARB rated hoses now for the fuel line....for the last 4 years with no cracking.

Good luck....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 20 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,807

I have this red wire coming off of the auxiliary air regulator. I'm not sure where it goes as I have no connections near hear. The only other red wire I have is coming off the bottom of the motor from what I believe is the oil temp gauge...? I'm not sure where that one goes either but logic would tell me they connect together...?

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

Wire off of air pressure reg.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1413843115.1.jpg)

Wire from oil temp sensor?
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1413843115.2.jpg)

Any helpful info?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 20 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #23

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

AAR wire plugs into a white wire from the ignition wiring harness. It taps into the fuel pump circuit, and provides the heat that closes the AAR.

The red wire from the oil temp sender (under the engine) is not stock; stock would be green with a black stripe. It goes across the front of the engine, up through the engine tin, and plugs into the main wiring harness under the battery.

--DD
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 20 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Thanks for the heads up teener. I did go through the harness with a multimeter and it all seemed alright. Unfortunately I don't think I'm as knowledgable as I need to be for this project but you guys have helped me out quite a bit. Unfortunately electronics are my downfall.

Turned the motor over tonight. It turned well and didn't make any noises that were out of the ordinary, in my opinion. Unfortunately the motor did not start so I am going to begin a long checklist of possible problems. First on the list is distributed calibration. All of the distributor set up instructions I've read are too vague to really be of good help to me. This is my first motor rebuild ever and I have almost no experience setting up distributors.

One positive thing is that after a bit of cranking the oil pressure dummy light turned off. Indicating to me that the oil pressure built up and was good. Gonna tinker and read some more and then see where I end up.

Anyone have any good 'how to' articles on setting dwell angle and setting up the distributor in general?
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 20 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #25

Dave,

In regards to your comment about the aftermarket oil temp sender, I'm beginning to wonder what work my dad had done to this thing. It seems that the harness doesn't have enough inputs for all the temp/sending units.
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Oct 20 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

Here is a tech article on Pelican about setting dwell and timing:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

This is something I also need to do. There are a lot of articles there, so maybe you can find what you need.

+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 20 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #27

Thanks Phoenix. I was just reading that article. Good find!
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 22 2014, 12:42 PM
Post #28

Finally got the beast started up today. Ran into a couple issues. I am having a problem with the motor surging and then wanting to shut off. I think vacuum leaks are to blame. I'll try to get a little video later. But basically, motor will start and sound good for a moment and then it will want to die so I'll open the throttle a bit and it will surge and the the rpm's will drop even though the throttle is still open. When it revs it sounds good (like its firing on all cylinders). Timing seems good. Just having this surging problem.
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 23 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #29

Making progress but have run into another set back. Got the motor running. Sounds pretty strong and broke in the cam this morning. I have a high idle that I believe is due to the timing being set static and no timing light or dwell meter setting yet.

The problem I ran into first started when I shut the motor off after cam break in. It made a sound like a squealing belt for a few seconds and quieted as the motor came to a stop. I waited a bit and drained the oil and changed the filter. I looked at the oil for signs of metal fragments and filtered it through a paper towel to catch any metal shards. No shards. I'll attach a pic so you guys can tell me what you think of the oil.

Put new oil in and started the motor back up and now the squeal is constant. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a squealing belt. However it doesn't seem to be coming from the belt area. Obviously the engine bay isn't that large an area and it's pretty loud all over the place but the squeal seems to be coming from the front/passenger side of the motor. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

I'm thinking the belt has loosened since it was a brand new belt and is now slipping a bit on the fan. Gonna try tightening the belt and fingered crossed it'll solve the squeal.

Oil
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1414108443.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1414108443.2.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:31 PM