Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stainless Steel 914-6 Heat Exchangers?, Anyone running these?
mepstein
post Sep 1 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 1 2014, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 1 2014, 04:26 PM) *

Don't hold your breath... Let's just say that certain people have a history of promising a lot with no intention of delivering.

--DD

John will talk to you... All day in fact, as long as you don't like the same people (person) he doesn't like. I assume DD and I are talking about the same bit of history...

Mark Whitesell was talking to him about the tooling, maybe just 4 cylinder but I hooked him up with contact information.

Former club owner?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 11 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Sorry, been gone...but I understand that the 914-6 tooling/SSIs were not part of the deal to Dansk. Whether John can be convinced to follow through—or sell the tooling to someone who would—is indeed the issue. And yes, he is a very talkative guy. But I'd still take his setup, which is apparently thiiiiiiiiis close to turn-key, over ANY of the other offerings, and that includes NOS factory heat exchangers. Last set I had a line on had the friend's discount...of $4000. Heated seats looked better to me. So did freezing.

I wonder how many sets sold it would take to move the needle on this. I'd put a $200 deposit down tomorrow if I had a sense the job would actually get done. Full $2000-2500 with nothing to show for it? No way...

pete
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 11 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 11 2014, 04:30 PM) *

Sorry, been gone...but I understand that the 914-6 tooling/SSIs were not part of the deal to Dansk. Whether John can be convinced to follow through—or sell the tooling to someone who would—is indeed the issue. And yes, he is a very talkative guy. But I'd still take his setup, which is apparently thiiiiiiiiis close to turn-key, over ANY of the other offerings, and that includes NOS factory heat exchangers. Last set I had a line on had the friend's discount...of $4000. Heated seats looked better to me. So did freezing.

I wonder how many sets sold it would take to move the needle on this. I'd put a $200 deposit down tomorrow if I had a sense the job would actually get done. Full $2000-2500 with nothing to show for it? No way...

pete

Pete,
I should call Mark Whitesell to see if he was able to get hold of John. He seems the obvious person to take something like this to production unless MSDS wants to do it.
My contact information might be stale. Do you have current numbers Pete?
I love my MSDS headers on my 3.2 6 but having heat again??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 12 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

You know...

I wonder if Marty at MSDS could find a way to pry that tooling loose from John? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Marty knows how to get stuff done, has standing in the community, and certainly knows a bit about the market for parts for these cars. I was told that the SSI 914-6 exchangers are production ready but one or both sides missed being true equal-length by some tiny—and essentially irrelevant—amount, and that annoyed John no end. I could care less...I'd rather have heat than that last bit of power. Right now, it looks like the British stuff is the best way to go—at least to me, anyway—but I don't like the welds, and I'd rather buy SSI quality, made in America.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 12 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #25

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I too would prefer to keep my $ here in the USA, I really want some excellent SS heat exchangers for my car.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 13 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #26

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2014, 11:52 AM) *

You know...

I wonder if Marty at MSDS could find a way to pry that tooling loose from John? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Marty knows how to get stuff done, has standing in the community, and certainly knows a bit about the market for parts for these cars. I was told that the SSI 914-6 exchangers are production ready but one or both sides missed being true equal-length by some tiny—and essentially irrelevant—amount, and that annoyed John no end. I could care less...I'd rather have heat than that last bit of power. Right now, it looks like the British stuff is the best way to go—at least to me, anyway—but I don't like the welds, and I'd rather buy SSI quality, made in America.

I'm pretty sure (but I could be wrong) that Marty has stated that he wasn't interested.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 13 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 13 2014, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2014, 11:52 AM) *

You know...

I'm pretty sure (but I could be wrong) that Marty has stated that he wasn't interested.

He told me (nicely) he would not make heat exchangers.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Sep 14 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Haywood and Scott have been building SS exhausts for as long as I can remember, know their stuff and build some nice systems

That said I have SSI fitted to my 911 that are still superb 15 years later & more than happy with the quality

As a Brit I know I should support home grown engineering firms, but if SSI's were available I would buy them any day over H&S

Plus you have exchange rate, shipping and import duty to consider with H&S. I come over fairly frequently to the US and have to admit to putting parts in my luggage including a set of GT callipers I bought off Mark to avoid such nonsense with customs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:13 AM