Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clean '70 w/ WRX swap - daily driver OFF THE MARKET FOR NOW, This car has ALL the right parts. Built after my dad's (DBCooper).
roachghia70
post Aug 31 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,153
Region Association: Northern California

EDIT: the car is off the market for now, while I do a Subaru transmission swap. I'll update this thread when it comes up for sale again, most likely this spring.

This car was built using my father's car (DBCooper on 914world) as a guide. I drive it daily and it's a great car. But we've recently moved to a new place where I am not permitted to work on cars, so it's not the ideal solution for me right now. If it weren't for this move, I would keep it without a doubt.

I am willing to trade for a cool daily driver, or a decent daily driver plus cash. I am kind of picky about cars, and I like weird stuff. Please feel free to shoot me any offers and we can talk about it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525343.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525343.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525343.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525343.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.7.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.8.jpg)

Last week, something went haywire with the clutch. It's not the cable, tube, or the pin in the pedal. My guess is that it's a bad throwout bearing. Since I can't work on it, I have made an appointment to have it repaired at a local VW shop that does Subaru swaps into Vanagons. I expect it to be repaired and running again sometime next week.

I am writing this off memory, and will edit this post when I get home and go through the paperwork.

Parts include:
911 front struts and brakes
Ground Control coilovers in the rear, with Bilsteins.
Adjustable front sway bar
2003 JDM WRX engine
Coldwater914 engine cradle
KEP adapter, flywheel, and clutch
901 Transaxle, with shift rod. (comes with a cable shifter to use in making that swap if you want to.)
Momo Prototipo steering wheel
Magnaflow muffler (1 in, 2 out for dual exhaust)
Outfront Stinger ECU and engine wiring harness
Porsche Cookie Cutters with brand new 225/50/15 tires
(we can work a deal on a set of 16 inch Fuchs if interested)
4 speaker stereo sounds great
Factory 914 under dash air conditioner, Subaru condenser and dryer. NOT installed.
Late model (1974?) dashboard.
Late model retracting seat belts
LE style front air dam, cut out for easy tow bar access
Factory style fiberglass rear apron
Rennmetal tow bar brackets, and tow bar
Redline gear oil
New CV joints and boots
Lots of new weatherstripping
A few boxes of extra parts.

What it needs:
Trunk sheetmetal needs to be welded up (comes with a donor section)
It should have a water to air intercooler added
An alignment
A better coolant overflow bottle installed (comes with one)
A windshield (this one is cracked. I am going to try and have one installed while it's at the shop this coming week.)
Install a backpad, or upholster the current painted firewall.
Maybe a new speedometer (gets noisy sometimes.)
gas gauge sender (stops working sometimes)
install the fresh air box, controls, and flaps (included)
install a heater core (if desired)

The to-do list is pretty minor, compared to all the work that has been done to it in the past few years. I have a folder with over $12K in receipts, and that doesn't' include all the parts or most of the labor. This is frankly a great car, it just doesn't fit my life right now. It's so nice that even 911 guys will usually give me a thumbs up when they drive by, and you know how those guys can be! haha

PLEASE NOTE: the car does have a salvage title, and I don't know exactly why. I haven't found any significant rust after searching for it. But I will post more detailed pictures searching into all the typical problem areas as soon as I get a chance. I did find that the windshield frame might have been replaced at some time, or the cowl had some repairs done to it right by the front edge of the driver's door. I'll also get detailed pictures of the engine, radiator, and interior. I don't ever try and hide anything, so please ask me any questions you want and I will be more than happy to answer.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.9.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1409525344.10.jpg)

If you're interested in buying the car as-is and not running, please email or PM and we can discuss it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 31 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Cool car. Got some pictures of the motor swap on top and underneath ?

+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 31 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Very nice and excellent price. Evidently you included a labor charge of about 12 cents because you have 12K in car/drive train and parts. Good deal for someone. GLWS
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 1 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

I'm so sad. A month or so ago I took my car up to Santa Cruz and chased Thomas up Highway 9 to Alice's Restaurant, down to the ocean, then down the coast and up over Bonney Doon to home. Two 914/WRX's and the best time I've had in a car in decades, no exaggeration. His situation has changed and I understand that he needs to sell it, but sad that he'll have to borrow my car again when he needs a fix.

By the way his car is really nice even apart from the conversion, much nicer than mine. And horsepower makes all things better, for example this is rumored to be him having some fun in my car (which is the same as his except for the wheels and transmission): 914 vs Saleen
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Sep 3 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #5

I'm pretty eager to get this car sold, so I can pay off some debt and focus on work/home/family/VW bus project. I'll even make you an even more screaming deal if you take it as-is and repair the clutch yourself.

I've had a few trade offers but nothing has stuck yet. If you are interested at all, please drop me a note!
T(dot)illick(at)gmail(dot)com

New pics, better description, and paperwork(receipts) update coming this weekend.
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Sep 4 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

I really like those wheels an tires!
+Quote Post
Keyser Sose
post Sep 11 2014, 04:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,576
Region Association: None

Looks and sounds very nice, when will you have the detail photos up?
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Sep 13 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #8

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh man, I would love to have this car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Good luck!
+Quote Post
ned911
post Sep 15 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,912
Region Association: Southwest Region

If I didn't have 2 '72 911's in the shop and a '74 914 waiting for shop time I'd be all over this.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 15 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 16 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,594

If this car is anything like DB's whoever buys it will not be disappointed, I've driven DB's car......it's the fastest 914 I've ever driven...the power to weight is amazing, haven't had a car put a grin on my face like that in a while, thanks again DBcooper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Having the suby tranny is nice, after driving his car I sold my 6cyl suby motor....if I do a suby it will be a wrx.

Sorry to see you selling the car, can't believe it's still for sale.

Jeff
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Sep 16 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(JStroud @ Sep 16 2014, 08:25 AM) *

If this car is anything like DB's whoever buys it will not be disappointed, I've driven DB's car......it's the fastest 914 I've ever driven...the power to weight is amazing, haven't had a car put a grin on my face like that in a while, thanks again DBcooper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Having the suby tranny is nice, after driving his car I sold my 6cyl suby motor....if I do a suby it will be a wrx.

Jeff

It really is that much fun. Almost like being on a motorcycle, only with a seat next to you and a roof over your head (or not!).

Having a JDM engine, even at stock boost, I think mine is just a little bit faster than DB's.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Hi dad.

I've got the transmission out of the car now and am gathering the parts I will need to do a Subaru transmission swap. There's a thread in Garage about my KEP pressure plate if you want to see details. I'm also going to try and get the intercooler, heater, and air conditioning installed.

So unless someone wants a project with a pile of Subaru transmission parts for significantly cheaper than the price will be when it is running again, the car is off the market.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 16 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #13

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

QUOTE(roachghia70 @ Sep 16 2014, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(JStroud @ Sep 16 2014, 08:25 AM) *

Jeff

It really is that much fun. Almost like being on a motorcycle, only with a seat next to you and a roof over your head (or not!).

Having a JDM engine, even at stock boost, I think mine is just a little bit faster than DB's.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Hi dad.

I've got the transmission out of the car now and am gathering the parts I will need to do a Subaru transmission swap. There's a thread in Garage about my KEP pressure plate if you want to see details. I'm also going to try and get the intercooler, heater, and air conditioning installed.

So unless someone wants a project with a pile of Subaru transmission parts for significantly cheaper than the price will be when it is running again, the car is off the market.

Cool! I hope you get it together and keep it!

The JDM motor utilizes a twin scroll turbo set up, which means quicker spool than a USDM engine.....so you could be correct that it is faster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 16 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #14

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

This one's single turbo but I think the JDM motors also had a bit higher compression (higher octane Japanese gasoline) with a different cam profile. But Thomas, your car is faster than mine? Wut? Seriously? Don't you have a 901? The one that's on the shop floor right now? From the car that's on jack stands? Faster? Than what? Next month we can find out, but right now? I AM FASTER. Ha!

It really is fun, isn't it Jeff? I try to not say that too loudly around here lest people think i'm proselytizing for Subaru engine swaps, but that's not it at all. It doesn't matter how you get there, less weight and more horsepower mean more fun. And since that's why I own the car, for fun, it's good. Very good. And Thomas, say thanks to Jeff, he's the guy who gave you that spare trunk section. Thanks again, Jeff.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:57 AM