Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1st PCA concours event Saturday, Some final thoughts
Big Len
post Sep 1 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Having second thoughts now, but I've entered into a concours this coming weekend. I've never been to one so I'm thinking I might be over my head, especially in regards to originality.

I was told they're judging exterior, interior, storage spaces, and exterior wheels, no engine or chassis.

What kind of experience have you had and what should I concentrate on?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 1 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

You will need a team of people to help you clean, clean, clean. Under the dash, white glove stuff. That's where many points are lost.

Otherwise, who cares. just go have fun.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 1 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Thanks Mike.

I just don't wanna make an ass out of myself (I have other ways of doing that).
+Quote Post
MMW
post Sep 1 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,477
Region Association: North East States

Is this the NNJR PCA "Concours on the green" at Rob's house? If so I was there last year. The judging was timed so they had 4 minutes per car. Usually two or three judges in a group. One did interior, one exterior & one overall appearance. No talking to the judges, just sit & watch. They looked for cleanliness, originality & condition overall. They checked underhood/trunk & tool kit also.

They did mine but I never got the results. It was fun to watch but knew I didn't have a chance when the guy next to me had a cordless vacuum, a store full of cleaning/polishing stuff & spent a long time detailing his car. The winners cars looked like they were never driven which is a shame but maybe they don't enjoy driving them & like to sit in a chair in the garage & stare at it. To each his own.

If I was you I would give it a quick cleaning job & just enjoy the day. Don't stress about it so if ya don't win it won't matter but if ya do you will be pleasantly surprised. There was no 914s last year at this event.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 1 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Yeah Mic, that's the one.

You're like me in that we go to a show , really any show, we don't break out the folding chairs and sit next to the car all day, we're out looking at others. And I heard there were no 914's at the event last year, which is a shame because there are a lot of nice cars in the area and the model should be represented because it's a damn fine car.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 1 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Keep this little phrase in mind as you register: "Wash n' shine. That'll make your effort more enjoyable.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 8 2014, 05:51 AM
Post #7

Cap'n - You were right, wash and shine was the focus. Judges were tough looking at every detail in the trunks, interior, and body. But they missed some things too. I was worried about originality, but at this level, it wasn't counted.

I made several novice mistakes such as leaving the keys in the ignition....points off. It was 90 degrees and the cars were in the sun, targa on, so I cracked the windows an inch so it wouldn't melt lead in there....nope, points off, windows up. One judge stuck his finger down the rear trunk latch and found some grease. Shouldn't there be grease? Nope, points off. Crazy.

Although my GF wants to go to another one, I don't think I'll ever do it again, but I learned a lot and met several owners who were really helpful. Overall, a pretty good time.
+Quote Post
rmital
post Sep 8 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #8

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 8 2014, 07:51 AM) *

.... One judge stuck his finger down the rear trunk latch and found some grease. Shouldn't there be grease? Nope, points off. Crazy.

that was the exact point about 8 years ago that I knew I didn't belong.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
Manny Alban
post Sep 8 2014, 07:02 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,798

Prepping your car for a concours, if you have the time, is a great experience. It takes a lot of work, but once it's done, maintaining at that level isn't too hard. I concours mine but I also autocross and drive it long distances that include, heaven forbid, driving in the rain. When I wash it, I'll focus on a small area to concours. Might be the dash, could be the rear trunk. 15 minutes on a section does wonders.

btw, grease is okay, dirty grease is not...at least in concours competition. Also, I've entered concours just to get a parking spot on the lawn. Told the judges that I was withdrawing from being judged. Haven't found one that wasn't relieved to have one less car to judge.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 8 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #10

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

From what I've seen as of late, most concours are no longer an "OEM-fest", much more of a clean-fest. Getting knocked for the windows bugs me though- they roll up, they roll down, so they work don't they? So it's not fair to the guys w/ electric windows... tough sh*t; we're talking a 40+ year old interior- it needs air outside in the sun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 8 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Years ago I was told that every car that enters a concours is a winner as it has been attended to and will be better than it was before. Though I'm not a concours enthusiast myself, I entered the Parade Concours this last year, and my car is better for the efforts my friends and I did in prepping for the event. As was pointed out, at least you can be assured of a great parking spot! Don't have to take it too seriously and enjoy yourself!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:19 PM