Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Engine Wiring Harnesses, Conversion or Stock, Plug & Play
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 25 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've just taken recipet of color coded wiring, PVC insulating, and heat shrink tubing for 914-6 engine wiring harnesses. I can make a stock or custom harness for your application, or sell you a kit to make your own. Some core connectors are required. If you have a internally regulated alternator you may be able to eliminate the relay board and brackets, for a cleaner less cluttered engine bay. The black PVC insulating jacket and heat shrink tubing makes for a very OEM appearance.

If you are going through all the trouble of putting a flat six in your car, give it a professional looking wiring harness, not one covered with electrical tape!

All connections are crimped AND soldered!

>>>>Price Edit as of Sept 14, 2017

Custom made harnesses start at $325 plus your core CDI box plug and boot. Custom harnesses available and depending on the relay board and circuits required. The price of Porsche factory connectors and boots has really gone up.

A factory 14 pin male connector to plug directly into the 14 pin female connector in your 914-4 harness (if you have removed the relay board) is $48

A new rubber grommet where harness goes through the rear of the 914-6 engine tin is $8.50

E-mail me at: perry.kiehl@hotmail.com

Or call 731 733-8482

Perry Kiehl
914 Network
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Jun 3 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 204

This deserves a bump....Perry not only made an awesome wiring harness for my -6 conversion, he also provided a TON of the conversion parts I needed at great prices, PLUS his expert advice goes above and beyond.....this guy even called me out of the blue to see how things were going and if there was anything he could do to help!!!! Thanks, Perry!

The preceding was NOT a paid announcement!!
+Quote Post
bag5rcg
post Dec 26 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,607

Hi Perry....Are you still making harnesses for 6 conversions?
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 27 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Yes, I still do this. PM me for details.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 3 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Here's a pic of a very correct 914-6 reproduction harness for a real 914-6 using a 2.2 with SEV/Marchal alternatory (mostly ring terminals), and a factory 914-6 relay board. This is going in the 914-6 project that Z and Cap'n Crusty are doing.

This harness also has the correct shielding for the ignition circuits, just like the factory did it. I can make your custom harness as nice as this!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 4 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Here's a detail shot of the repro 6 harness at the relay board connector.

The 6 has a 14 pin connector at the relay board instead of the 12 pin the 4's have. The 6 relay board is different. The alternator harness is combined with the engine harness, and terminates in a pigtail with the same end as a 4.

The extra gray/white wire is a spare for a possible oil pressure gauge. Stock 6's don't have an oil pressure gauge, and it doesn't hurt to add the wire JIC.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 4 2009, 08:50 AM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Here's a detail shot of the CD box connector. Just like the factory harness there's a grounding terminal above the 3 pin connector. The ground terminal connects to the shielding (for the igntion circuit) which shields RF.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 5 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Looks excellent. The engine and trans is now complete and I can get on with my project.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 5 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

very nice, what does that harness cost approx ?
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 9 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

DIY kits are NLA
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 9 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2009, 03:03 PM) *

very nice, what does that harness cost approx ?

Jeff,

A 914-6 Harness with battery cable, ignition shielding, and all stock circuitry is $390 plus $11 for flat rate USPS box. If you don't need the cold start and throttle pull down circuits you can deduct $30, if you don't need the integral battery cable you can deduct another $35.

Does not include any boots. The factory boot and connector body for the 3 pin CD box is NLA. Porsche has replaced the 3 pin boot with a later part and it is over $80!!! So you need to send me one from your 911 harness, or contact me about a used one.

PK
+Quote Post
salomon99
post Apr 23 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,486

PERRY. PM SEND.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 20 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Here's a "Plug and Play" unit that's a special custom harness. This is for a custom twin plug engine that's using the 6 pin CD boxes, and the "coils" are mounted on the firewall near the battery tray.

Here's the ignition branch of the harness for the dual CD boxes, and the dual ignition transformers (coils).
Attached Image

This engine is using a custom SC style distributor with the "green wire" connector, the plug body was left off so the customer can confirm polarity.
Attached Image

Here's the branch that goes to the internally regulated alternator, and then the single un-sheathed green and black wire that goes to the temp sender, exactly like the factory 6 harness.
Attached Image

This is the major junction where the main harness splits, and it's wrapped with electrical tape, exactly like the factory 6 harness.
Attached Image

One side of the branch goes to the starter, the solenoid, and the back up light switch.
Attached Image

This conversion has the engine compartment relay panel removed, so this 14 pin male plug connects right into the 14 pin female chassis harness.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
NS914
post Jun 14 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Hi Perry,
I am restoring / rebuilding my ’74 and need help with wiring! The latest project for the 914 is restoring / rebuilding my Wiring Harness....do you see a common thread here....ugh! Its a real mess!

I need to replace most of the front harness as it has been beaten up with what I think was the spare tire being slammed on it before I owned the car and likely just years of abuse. I would really like to stay period correct re wire / insulation colors etc. Can you direct me to your website or otherwise let me know what you carry / make to replace the harness up front.

I am going to replace the Fuse Panel as well with a panel from JWest Engineering. So in a nutshell, I need to replace the front harness so far….can you help me out? A side note, I have removed the side signals that were in the front fenders.
Grant
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 14 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #15

I. I. R. C.

Sorry but for now, all I'm doing is engine harnesses. I can do a 4 cyl engine harness too, but Jeff Bowlsby is the man on that, and I'm not going to step on his corner.

QUOTE(NS914 @ Jun 14 2013, 05:56 AM) *

Hi Perry,
I am restoring / rebuilding my ’74 and need help with wiring! The latest project for the 914 is restoring / rebuilding my Wiring Harness....do you see a common thread here....ugh! Its a real mess!

I need to replace most of the front harness as it has been beaten up with what I think was the spare tire being slammed on it before I owned the car and likely just years of abuse. I would really like to stay period correct re wire / insulation colors etc. Can you direct me to your website or otherwise let me know what you carry / make to replace the harness up front.

I am going to replace the Fuse Panel as well with a panel from JWest Engineering. So in a nutshell, I need to replace the front harness so far….can you help me out? A side note, I have removed the side signals that were in the front fenders.
Grant

+Quote Post
NS914
post Jun 17 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Thanks Perry, I will follow up with Jeff or alternatively just reassemble with wire available locally. I am assuming Jeff is on the site but do you have contact info for him? Regards, Grant
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 4 2016, 12:51 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

[quote name='9146986' date='Jun 15 2013, 04:15 AM' post='1879965']
Sorry but for now, all I'm doing is engine harnesses. I can do a 4 cyl engine harness too, but Jeff Bowlsby is the man on that, and I'm not going to step on his corner.

[quote name='NS914' post='1879920' date='Jun 14 2013, 05:56 AM']
Hi Perry,
I am interested in a custom loom or kit for my six conversion,hope you are still doing them ?email sent,cheers.

+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Jun 5 2016, 06:29 AM
Post #18

Unregistered

[quote name='porschetub' date='Jun 3 2016, 10:51 PM' post='2354524']

Hi Perry,
I am interested in a custom loom or kit for my six conversion,hope you are still doing them ?email sent,cheers.
[/quote]

My new email is: perry.kiehl@hotmail.com I've only done a handful of DIY kit's so I've stopped doing that, but I can make you a custom harness for your conversion.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 15 2016, 02:41 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

[quote name='Perry Kiehl Clone' date='Jun 6 2016, 12:29 AM' post='2354958']
[quote name='porschetub' date='Jun 3 2016, 10:51 PM' post='2354524']

Hi Perry,
[/quote]

My new email is: perry.kiehl@hotmail.com I've only done a handful of DIY kit's so I've stopped doing that, but I can make you a custom harness for your conversion.
[/quote]

Many thanks Perry,we are now hooked up email wise so we can work from there,appreciate the help....happy to admit as an marine engineer that automotive wiring isn't my strong point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 6 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Perry will be in touch soon for my 6 conversion.. I too would have liked a kit..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:51 AM