Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission woes, no fourth
Always Looking
post Jan 26 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,246

I'm afraid of my sideshift tranny. I don't like the idea of opening it up to see what's up - special tools and all. Here is my situation.

I have a sideshift tranny on a early 914. I replaced the bushings in firewall and at end of linkage. The linkage seems pretty rigid and first through third are pretty good (I think, no other 914 to compare, but with a little hesitation between 1 and 2, no gind). My problem is NO FOURTH. If I hold the shift lever in fourth it engages, otherwise it just pops out. I am not confident that I set the shifter up right based on the Haynes manual. If there are any suggestions, let them fly.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 26 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

ok, did it have fourth before you replaced the bushings???

I would say you might need to adjust the shifter again.

Take out the carpet on the shifter tunnel
Take out the center tray/basket or console

Take all tools with you

Drive and adjust...
Takes a few times to get it right, but you can adjust for length (this will either eliminate all gears on top or all on bottom)
then you can twist the shifter on the shaft....this prevents you from getting into the 4-5 gate or the r-1 gate...

You should be able to get it with a couple of tries.

Good luck
Rich
+Quote Post
Always Looking
post Jan 26 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,246

I did not drive it before replacing the bushings. The PO had mounted the engine mount bar backwards and the shift linkage over the engine mount. Having never seen the underside of a 914 - I did not know what was up. I finally found a few good pics and set things straight.

Thanks for the advice, It sounds like a twist ajustment since I've got 1,2,3,and 5.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 26 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

i doubt this is the problem but it can make the shifting funny... how are the motor mounts and tranny mounts

and what i think can also do this is if you shifter bar is bent or tweeked it can hit the engine bar when it tries to go to forth ( or any gear depending on bend ). look under the car and have some body go throught the gears and make sure its not hitting anything
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 04:38 PM