Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> help w/ momo hub
Clemson
post Sep 12 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8 1987 911 cab 2002 Audi S6 avant

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,288
Region Association: South East States

I just bought a Momo wheel and hub 8002 for my 74. The horn blows 100%! It appears that the offset inside the hub from the circlip to the outer edge is deeper than the hub on the Dino wheel I took off. I believe the 'plastic horn ring' is being compressed too far and grounding out, thus 100% horn.

Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
GregAmy
post Sep 13 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I installed a Momo hub on my '74 a couple months ago. I don't have the car here to go look, but as I recall I had to do some minor mods to it to make it work.

From memory, my biggest issue was that the "tab" on the stock horn ring to which the positive wire attaches was being pinched and compressed between the hub and the horn ring. Had I left it as-is it would have grounded out on the hub - and the horn would be on all the time. I had to modify the tab, trimming it a bit to fit better within that space. Second issue I recall was that the hole through which the wire threads was not in the correct location, forcing the wire to be pinched; I had to modify the hub slightly to ensure it would not ground out.

I'm guessing you're running into those same packaging issues. Pull out the horn ring and ensure that nothing behind it is pinched or leaning against the hub.

Finally - and somewhat unrelated - once installed I found the steering wheel to be too far away from me and too close to the turn signal lever. That is because despite the addition of the Momo hub, the total offset with a flat Momo wheel is still less than the offset of the stock wheel. To resolve that I bought a 1" spacer from LTB Motorsport:

http://ltbautosports.com/ltbstwhbl25.html

GA
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Clemson
post Sep 14 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #3

1974 914 1.8 1987 911 cab 2002 Audi S6 avant

Member No.: 17,288
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:15 AM