Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT Lotus 19 (B)??, Hey Slits! And other old trivia buffs
Howard
post Jan 26 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #1

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Hey Ron, moving this to new thread. Bet you know more about this car than I do. Always wondered what happened to it.

My friend Steve Diullo, bought it from Gurney after Joe Leonard wrecked it at Riverside late 64. Bought as a roller for 3500, Gurney kept the 2.5 Climax I assume. I put in 3000 to finish the car and we ran it a bit in Cal Club.

This became too expensive for our limited budgets, and luckily we got Mel Burns Ford to sponsor. Neither he nor I was fast enough, he DNF'd at Riverside in his one CanAm. He tried again at Monterey, but hopeless. Bondurant's car broke and we offered him the ride. He finished 4th, the best the car ever did.

We got it to go and stop, but handled fugly. Guess the extra 2500cc's didn't help much (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Anybody know anything about this car? Sure was pretty.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  lotus ( 174.64k ) Number of downloads: 0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 26 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 26 2005, 03:38 PM)
Hey Ron, moving this to new thread. Bet you know more about this car than I do. Always wondered what happened to it.

My friend Steve Diullo, bought it from Gurney after Joe Leonard wrecked it at Riverside late 64. Bought as a roller for 3500, Gurney kept the 2.5 Climax I assume. I put in 3000 to finish the car and we ran it a bit in Cal Club.

Anybody know anything about this car? Sure was pretty.

Strangely enough, you might want to ask Otto. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 26 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

It was bought by a Lawyer in Whittier named Calumett or something like that. It was kept at Continental Motors (Austin Healy Dealer) at the corner of Colima Road & Whittier Blvd.

While I worked on the car, Pete Woods(?) drove it. The last time I saw the car was at Santa Barbara where the team flew Bobby Unser in to drive it. He blew the engine in practice.

As I remember, the Ford engine was taken out and replaced with a Chevy Smallblock.

This car should have been the Lotus 19B that Gurney ran at Daytona in 1963.

You're really taxing my memory!!!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 26 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #4

And exactly where is Otto when you need him? Is this to tame of a thread?
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 26 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #5

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

Wow, you guys must be nearly as old as me. I was there at Laguna when Moss (in the UDT Laystall car) raced against Gurney (in the Arciero brothers car) back in the USRRC days. Anyhow, I was visiting a garage in Portland for a story I was writing and snapped this photo. This car (Lotus 19 Monte Carlo) was owned by the Bonham's auction house at the time this was taken. It was originally sold to a guy in Oz but was crashed heavily. It came here about 10 years ago but the history is a little hazy. The story that goes with it is that it was restored by Jimmy Clark's original mechanic. It has the 2.5 liter Coventry Climax and a Colatti five speed. While the original Gurney car would probably be worth a quarter million, Tom (the guy who owns the garage and raced this car in the 2003 Portland Historics) said this is worth about $100K.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 26 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Incontin(g)ent Member

Thanks for that beautiful picture. Amazing how modern a 1961 car looks. The 23 was stunning, but the 19 a bit more muscular, especially when rear fenders were radiused for the bigger tires. Gotta love the internet. Only found 2 references to Gurney and 19's. I believe we had the Arciero Bros car shown here, but much modified.

More coming...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 26 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #7

Incontin(g)ent Member

The next one was the purpose built 289. Believe that car is still alive and well. Pic from 95 Monterey Historics. Good car, but didn't have a hope against the Chaparrals.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 26 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #8

Right you are. The B/W photo is the Gurney car. That is the pit lane at Laguna and the photo is from the 1963 race (Penske won in the Zerex special). The Moss-Gurney duel was in 1961. By the way, the Arciero Brothers car raced there again in 1964, this time driven by Jim Clark. The one-off Lotus 19B is still raced. It is owned by someone in Northern California, a woman I believe. Just for giggles and shits I have attached another photo from Laguna. This is Pedro Rodriguez in the Dino Ferrari in 1966. Enjoy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 27 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #9

Incontin(g)ent Member

Sure hope you're coming down for WCC. My scanner would really like to meet your photo album. We could talk about the old days and only slits would know it was BS (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Don't think sports racers ever got any prettier than these.
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 27 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #10

I got tons man. I enjoyed your photos too. Nice to see this kind of stuff once and awhile. For those Porsche purists here is one more...May 1967, Turn 9 at Laguna...when the track was 9 turns and 1.9 miles. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jandro62
post Jan 27 2005, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,156

guys, thanks so much for sharing those pictures. For us younger guys, we can only dream of having attended those races during the sixties.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 27 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #12

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Seagrave, there will be a small caravan from PNW going down to WCC '05 in April. You're invited.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 27 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #13

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

You can find photos of Gurney's Lotus 19 in the various books about Can-Am and Sportscar racing by Dave Friedman and Pete Lyons. One year at Sebring, it ran in the traditional Ford GT colors, Guardsman blue with two white strips. I think that may have been 1965, the year that the Chaparral 2 won the 12 Hrs., or 1966. I'd have to check the books to be sure.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jan 27 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

I think those where the best days for race fans. I remember taking photos at Riverside in the 60s and early 70s when the only thing between the fans and the track was a four foot high wire fence. When I go to the Long Beach GP you sometimes find your self shooting through two layers of 12 foot high chain link. I guess there are too many liability issues today.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 27 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #15

This was my favorite car in the glory days of CANAM.

(IMG:http://www.rccauto.com/ebay/mc8.jpg)

Imagine going from a 914/6 to this with the race team.....and I actually got to work on this one. McLaren MK 8 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) This is not the image of ours. I lost the picture many years ago....It was an Ex-Roy Woods car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 27 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #16

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Those 60's Can-Am and Prototype sports cars were wild. When I look at one today I wonder about the driver safety at 200 mph. Today's sportscars, like the Audi R8 or BMW LMP, with their molded carbon fiber tubs, look safe in comparison. Racing is dangerous today, but it was really dangerous back then.
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 27 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #17

One year only, 1965, there was a race a Candlestick Park. I cannot remember if it was two or three drivers killed that weekend. On Sunday, local hot shoe Bart Martin was killed in his Brabham BT-8. The bayside straightaway was very bumpy (bay fill) and the speculation was that the suspension broke. The car flipped and hit a large piece of concrete and subsequently burned. On Saturday there was at least one fatality in the sports car races. Jim Hall was there with a Chaparral (shown here). The Production feature on Sunday matched Don Wester, the Monterey Porsche dealer and West Coast 2L champion, driving his 904 against Phil Hill who was driving the S&C Ford 427 Cobra. It was a classic David and Goliath race with the Cobra stretching it out on the long straights and the 904 catching him again in the corners. The 904 won after the Cobra broke.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kenporacer
post Jan 27 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,432

You guys should have been in Daytona for Rennfest last year. Would have brought back a lot of memories for you. Did for me & I'M only 37.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 28 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #19

Incontin(g)ent Member

To hijack my own thread a bit for WCC 05, I agree those were the days. You could see the cars and identify them from a mile off. But now they all look like winged aero blobs and the tracks are so user friendly ya can't see the cars anyway.

So back to the hijack. One of the reasons we wanted to use Paramount Ranch for the event was that history. Visit this page

While we can't run there (I really tried) Willow presents the same kind of car viewing and photo ops. Hope to see all y'all there.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 28 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #20

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

I go back to the old Cal Club races. My brother published the programs for the races then. 25,000 spectators was not unusall then. races at Torry pines, pebble beach santa barbara, pomona. drivers like Ken Miles, Ernie Macfee. Von numan carol shelby, Sigh!!! those were the good old days. MGs Xk120s Glocker porsche 550's etc what a great show. two major classes , under 1500 and over 1500

Great times
Bernie (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:03 PM