Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have you looked at this??, found a new parts search site
spare time toys
post Jan 27 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #1

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was surfing the other day and came upon porsche-driver.com it is linked to ebay auctions and is a bunch easier to search with than the bay is. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jan 27 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

cool man! thanks for posting!
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 27 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #3

hooked on grilling food.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif) For the guys who did not see it this AM
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 27 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Hmph.

I have to admire the chutzpah in throwing together such a site. For me, it would be a day or so of work to do. They're basically just doing Ebay searches on "Porsche", and categorizing the results using Ebay's own categories. With sufficient traffic, those little Google ads on the side can easily generate enough revenue to keep 1-2 people employed decently, and it would be nearly zero maintenance.

However, they're basically just sitting there waiting for a cease-and-desist letter from Ebay's lawyers. They may wiggle out of it, since the domain is registered in Belize. Their ISP may even be located there, even though "Paul Gordon", the owner of the domain, may very well be elsewhere, like here in the US. Such automated searches have put other companies out of business for (get this) "trespassing" in the past. I worked for a company that came close to getting sued for that, and had a competitor tank after such a suit.

A better site would be to provide a "saved searches" feature, which some places offer, and Ebay lacks. Basically, it would display a personalized page that displays the results of a search (or searches) you set up. An email could be generated on new results, and/or an RSS feed. Not difficult to do at all. One can even make a deal with Ebay to use their backdoor API, though that would cut into the margins some.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jan 27 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 27 2005, 05:26 PM)

A better site would be to provide a "saved searches" feature, which some places offer, and Ebay lacks. Basically, it would display a personalized page that displays the results of a search (or searches) you set up. An email could be generated on new results, and/or an RSS feed. Not difficult to do at all. One can even make a deal with Ebay to use their backdoor API, though that would cut into the margins some.

umm... ebay does do that... I get emails daily... it's all under the "my ebay" stuff
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 27 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jan 27 2005, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 27 2005, 05:26 PM)

A better site would be to provide a "saved searches" feature, which some places offer, and Ebay lacks.  Basically, it would display a personalized page that displays the results of a search (or searches) you set up.  An email could be generated on new results, and/or an RSS feed.  Not difficult to do at all.  One can even make a deal with Ebay to use their backdoor API, though that would cut into the margins some.

umm... ebay does do that... I get emails daily... it's all under the "my ebay" stuff

My mistake, then. Back in '01, the company I worked for at the time had most of My Ebay outside of Ebay (My Ebay at the time was really lame). We were just starting to work on the saved searches feature when we ran out of money and all got laid off. It's taken Ebay all this time to finally add all of those features... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

So, if there are saved searches, what's so good about this site? Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference, but I don't find it any easier to use than Ebay's current search system.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 27 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #7

hooked on grilling food.

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 27 2005, 06:11 PM)
So, if there are saved searches, what's so good about this site? Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference, but I don't find it any easier to use than Ebay's current search system.

Its just another option to use. I like the fact I dont have to go through about four or five pages to get to the parts Im looking for. I think its faster and easier to use. JMHO (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jan 27 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #8

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

I have to admire the chutzpah in throwing together such a site. For me, it would be a day or so of work to do.

If it took you that long, I'd be disappointed.

He is using a readily available script (free) that fetches the listings from ebay. The interesting thing is that he has both the ads on the site and the ebay listings linked through his affilliate accounts. He may be making a few cents off of each transacton that completes. If you go through this site, check your cookies afterwards. Most affiliate programs offer persistence to their members.

When I saw this, I also checked to see where the domain was registered. If this were registered in the US, he'd have to worry more about Porsche than ebay.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:45 AM