Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> hydraulic cams specific for fi or carb set up?, what cam to use when going hydraulic??
funk
post Sep 19 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,531
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I went on the web cam internet site and looked and buying their hydraulic cam set up but it says the cam is build specifically for factory fi systems? is their a cam set up that is for hydraulic lifters and carb set up??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom
post Sep 27 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Lots of negative comments on hydraulic cammed 914's but no one has any thing good to say, so I will.
My 76 had hydraulic lifters and a hydraulic cam ( I didn't have it built, so don't know which cam). My 76 would rev cleanly and smartly to over 5k in every gear. Had plenty of power and others that drove it said it felt just like a normal 2.0 liter. Gas mileage was over 30 and the plugs looked normal.
The downside I noticed was the loud valve train noises when left sitting for over a week or two. Quieted down after it warmed up and the lifters pumped up. Would I put in a hydraulic cam if I was building an engine? As one gets older it would certainly be better to not have to adjust valves every 3k miles. One of the reasons I sold my 76, just could no longer do the maintenance myself anymore. If I were using the car for long trips, that would maybe lean me toward the hydraulic cam also.
If I were younger and building a pure performance engine, no hydraulics. I would build a 2056 with FI.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:48 AM