Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater Questions
solex
post Jan 27 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

Hello,

I am about embark on fixing my heating system. Currently the blower motors do no work and all of the fuses under the dash are ok. Is/are there other fuses in the car that I need to look at before inspecting the individual blowers?

Also I need a set of hose for the heating system. Were can I obtain these hoses?

Thanks,
Dan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 27 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

there should be a wire attached to the heater lever on the center console. which hoses? heat exhanger to body or aux fan to j-tubes?

k
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 27 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

SHHH don't tell anyone here but, the J tubes and the heat exchangers can use a plastic shop vac hose (the big kind) Lowes has them in various sizes. So far works for me have had the car for a year now.
Simple resistance reading through the motor can tel you if it is good or bad. Don't forget the 25A fuse in the engine compartment on the relat board for the Aux blower fan. (back one) of two fuses.
+Quote Post
solex
post Jan 27 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Bascially all of the hoses need to be replaced: Heat exchanger hoses, defroster hoses and the rear blower motor hoses.

Thanks,
Dan
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 27 2005, 08:56 AM)
Don't forget the 25A fuse in the engine compartment on the relat board for the Aux blower fan.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) altough that one also powers the fuel pump, so if the engine runs, that won't be it ...

hoses can also be obtained at any good VW/bug shop.
the blower is activated by the little red lever between the seats.
you should get 12V on the green wire to the blower when the lever is UP ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 27 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I just finished what you are embarking on; in addition to the above, if the warm air is weak on one side-or the other side, pull the corresponding flapper valve off ( that's located between the front end of the heat exchanger and body) and look inside. A rivit hols two pieces together. In mine, the rivit was broken and the flapper stayed closed permanently. A Small machine screw/lock washer/nut can be used to repair.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 27 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 27 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 27 2005, 08:56 AM)
Don't forget the 25A fuse in the engine compartment on the relat board for the Aux blower fan.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) altough that one also powers the fuel pump, so if the engine runs, that won't be it ...

hoses can also be obtained at any good VW/bug shop.
the blower is activated by the little red lever between the seats.
you should get 12V on the green wire to the blower when the lever is UP ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy

oh yea sorry I forgot some of these cars are still stock. My fuel pump is rewired through a separate fuse block and relay.
+Quote Post
solex
post Jan 27 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #8

Just so I'm clear both the lever on the dash and the lever between the seats control the individual blowers?

Thanks,
Dan
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 27 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #9

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Yes. The top lever on the dash controls how much air comes in through the fresh-air vent in front of the dash, and turns on the front blower when it's moved far enough to the right. The lever down by the shifter controls the heater flappers, and turns on the rear blower when it's pulled far enough up.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #10

Resident German

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 27 2005, 12:55 PM)
Yes. The top lever on the dash controls how much air comes in through the fresh-air vent in front of the dash, and turns on the front blower when it's moved far enough to the right. The lever down by the shifter controls the heater flappers, and turns on the rear blower when it's pulled far enough up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) what he said.

lever between the seats (on the floor) is to open up the warm air flapper boxes and turn on the fan in the engine comp.

levers on the dash regulate how the air (warm and/or fresh) is moved around in the car (down/up/sideways) plus, one of the 3 turns on the fresh air blower under the cowl ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
solex
post Jan 27 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #11

Well I got the blower working, took it apart and cleaned the motor, pickups and winding plates. Tomorrow I will work on the console switch, it appears that someone has made a mess back there.

Also I notice that the defroster lever has a lighted panel laying next to it that says "defroster" but I do not have a center console. Does the presence of this defroster panel mean that this car once had a center console, or is this panel supposed to attach directly to the floor?

Thanks you all for your help!
Dan
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 28 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #12

Resident German

QUOTE (solex @ Jan 27 2005, 08:41 PM)
Does the presence of this defroster panel mean that this car once had a center console, or is this panel supposed to attach directly to the floor?

the defroster light is mounted on the floor right next to the lever on cars without a center console, on cars with console, it's mounted on the console board.

btw. make sure the connections to that light don't short out (they easily do), it'll blow the fuse for your complete gauge cluster and that's usually the last place people look for a short ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
solex
post Feb 1 2005, 08:25 AM
Post #13

Some updates on my progress here and a few questions. I'm in the process of locating my electrical problems. (blower motors do not have any power getting to them and I do not have dash lights. I checked all of the fuses replaced the one that was blown and have looked at the relays in the engine compartment.

I found one relay that is bad and tried switching it with another good one but that did not solve my problem. Do I need to have all of the relays in place to get the blower motors to work? Also where can I source some new/good used relays?

Any other suggestions? I am working blind here and need to get a good schematic of the wiring system is the Haynes manual the best for these diagrams?

Thanks,
Dan
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post Feb 1 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,253

As I remember, the lever on the floor completes the ground circuit to the motor...With an OHM meter, make certain the plug at the motor pegs when you pull the lever up and releases when you move the lever down...You need a helper for this one...

The plug at the motor has two wires, one ground and one power...The power wire should be hot all the time when the car is running and the ground circuit complete when the lever is up all the way...The Fan is either on or off, there is only one speed...

If you don't get these type readings on the plug by the fan, trace your ground problem to the lever or power problems to the relay board mounted right above the fan on the engine compartment sidewall...

2-OH!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 1 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #15

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

You need one relay on the relay board to run the heater blower. I forget which one... Check the wiring diagrams in Haynes or on the Bird site; they are labeled.

Pulling the heater lever up all the way does ground the wire going to it, but that is not the ground to the heater blower. (At least, not on 73+ 914s.) That grounds the relay's coil, which closes the relay and sends power to the blower motor. There should always be a ground on the brown wire going to the blower motor; the green wire should get +12V when the ignition is on and the lever is pulled up all the way.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:07 PM