Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Water Pump Conversion Option
bulitt
post Sep 20 2014, 05:55 AM
Post #1

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Allows the removal of the thermostat. Can be used with most electric pumps, removing the impeller mechanical pump. Controller operates electric water pump and fans based on coolant temperature. Cycles the pump during warm up to keep hot spots in the heads from forming. With no thermostat in place reduces the possibility of leaks due to pump pressure. Pretty awesome particularly for SBC Conversions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/...y-davies-craig/

http://daviescraig.com.au/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Sep 20 2014, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,787

I wonder if I could use the current fans I have, instead of changing that part?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 20 2014, 07:56 AM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Neat and I'm sure it has it's application but one point is obviously overlooked with their broad blanket statement:
Since it relies on engine RPM to circulate coolant the engine driven water pump operates counter to what demand typically dictates. At idle when there’s no air being forced across the radiator by the vehicle in motion the water pump is also circulating extremely slow leading to heat soak and higher engine temperatures. At speed when airflow helps tremendously with cooling, the pump is often moving more coolant than it needs to. “A mechanical pump can’t be designed to operate efficiently or ideally under all circumstances,” says 3P Connect’s Josh Backes.
This is also the time when internal combustion engines are producing the most BTU!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:59 AM