Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How flexy is your frame?, My frame is very flexy.
mbseto
post Sep 20 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Did a quick and dirty check to see how flexy my frame is. Just stuck a laser pointer on the rear fender with a magnet and aimed it at a notecard taped to the front fender. Marked the position of the dot, then jacked the wheels off the ground and marked the position of the dot again.

Have nothing to compare it to, but will check this in the future after some restoration work. If anyone is game to try this, it would be interesting to compare.Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 20 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

It's been awhile since I read it, but I think there is a quick and dirty method in the Buying A 914 post. It had to do with the passenger side, where the hell hole gets lots of attention. But IIRC, you take the roof off, but a FAT man in the car and see if the door will open or close.... maybe measure the door gaps, that kinda thing.

If the door won't operate then there are issues. I like your test, but I don't follow it. What do the dots mean? Try the dots with the FAT man in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Sep 20 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I like your system! Nice and simple and provides useful data.

What jack point did you use? To compare to other cars, everyone would need to use the same location.

If I had a laser pointer I'd try it just for fun. The cover fell of of my laser pointer last year so it doesn't work. I used to see the cheap ones for sale all the time, but now can't seem to find one.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 20 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #4

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I think that unless you have stripped your 914 down, got all the rust out, and added some chassis stiffening then it is going to be a bit flexy.

Probably some guys who track their cars can talk about how flexy the car can be unmodified. For street cars, probably doesn't matter as much...
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 20 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

An inner, outer or both long stiffening kit will bring all the dots closer together.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 20 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #6

So the first dot is where the laser hits the card with the car sitting on the ground. Then I jack the car up- the jack point is the built-in jack point. This causes the laser dot to move to a new location because of frame flex and then I mark the new location.

I will repair the rusted longs and repeat the test. I intend to install some frame stiffening kit (Engmann kit and maybe more). Then I will repeat the test again and see if stiffness is improved. As I said, it is quick and dirty.

I have no FAT man. :-(

I used to drive a Supra with a targa top and there was a huge difference with the top off. It would be awesome to have a targa with a nice stiff frame even with the top off.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 20 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 20 2014, 10:14 PM) *

So the first dot is where the laser hits the card with the car sitting on the ground. Then I jack the car up- the jack point is the built-in jack point. This causes the laser dot to move to a new location because of frame flex and then I mark the new location.

I will repair the rusted longs and repeat the test. I intend to install some frame stiffening kit (Engmann kit and maybe more). Then I will repeat the test again and see if stiffness is improved. As I said, it is quick and dirty.

I have no FAT man. :-(

I used to drive a Supra with a targa top and there was a huge difference with the top off. It would be awesome to have a targa with a nice stiff frame even with the top off.

Great idea.
Use a piece of graph paper at the indicator end.
The graph paper has 1/4" increments on both the vertical and horizontal planes.
You could have real numbers.
Did your drivers side move both up and over ?
I'd expect to see the passenger more flexible.
+Quote Post
Highland
post Sep 20 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

Could the suspension not being fully settled cause some change.

Maybe more accurate if the laser and paper were placed between the wheels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 21 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #9

"I'd expect to see the passenger more flexible."

I expected that too, but really the hell hole area is not bad, but the bottom of the car is uniformly bad on both sides. I think it was in pretty good shape and then stored in a barn and rusted from below.

I like the graph paper idea...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:22 AM