Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has anyone found a way to preserve POR-15, after opening it?
bondo
post Jan 27 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I buy my POR-15 in quarts, but still never use nearly that much at a time. I tried to seal it in a plastic soda bottle, but it kept pressurizing it and I had to vent it every once in a while (exploding soda bottles are messy, but exploding soda bottles full of POR-15 are messy beyond all comprehension). Eventually it solidified, and I had to toss it.

An unopened can will last for years.. has anyone found a way to preserve that life after opening?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Jan 27 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #2

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

great question. I think you are suppose to just reseal the can as quickly as possible, but I have never tried it.

I have been buying the very small (pints?) cans as I have been doing fairly small jobs. Thats the only solution I have so far, but not very economical.

good luck
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 27 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Use a piece of plastic bag when you put the lid on. Then stick it in the fridge. It will last longer, still not forever, but longer. Tip from a 914 buddy of mine. If you don't use the plastic on the lid when you put it on, it is hard if not impossible to open again.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 27 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I cover mine with kitchen plastic wrap and install the lid just enough to make a seal on the can.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #5

I tried the can reseal thing, (with saran wrap) as well. If I don't deform the lid into a non-sealing taco the first time I open it, it happens the second time.

Has anyone ever painted an entire 914 with POR-15? Any reason why I shouldn't? It seems to cover very large areas.. but I've never tried spraying it. Could make a real mess of the garage (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Does it run easily when sprayed? (seems like it might) I'd like to make sure this is the last time I'll have to soda blast this car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #6

Ooh, refrigeration.. good idea!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 27 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #7

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have read somewhere,,,,, can't recall where that POR-15 doesn't spray well at all. It likes to be poured onto things or brushed. I have thought of it. Make sure you clean out that spray gun really good afterwards! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jan 27 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

I poured the rest of mine into a large pickle jar. Put plastic wrap over the jar and tighten the lid over the plastic. If you want to use it later and can't get the lid off the jar, poke a hole in the lid and pour it out into something else, like another pickle jar. It doesn't matter if it is a can or a jar, you just have make certain that it is sealed well. I guess no one needs to be cautioned not to get any on ya huh?
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 27 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #9

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I bought a new can & lid at the harware store.
+Quote Post
type11969
post Jan 27 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

I have a can of por 15 that has been sitting in my garage for at least 4 years. Its been opened about 5 times over the years, always resealed with plastic wrap. No problems with it hardening. I remove the amount I need with a small measuring cup, then seal the can again quickly.

Don't put POR in a plastic solo cup though. I did that once, didn't use the amount I poured into the cup, and just set the cup down on my workbench to let it harden so I could throw it out. Next day, the POR in the cup was all over my bench. It melted right through the cup, maybe it was the heat from the reaction when the por hardens?

-Chris
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #11

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 27 2005, 09:57 AM)
Then stick it in the fridge.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) seal it, then refrigerate ...

air, moisture and warm are no gud for por-15 ...

hint:
if you leave it in the can and it's not sealed right, the top will harden, but underneath it'll stay liquid forever. all you need to do is poke a hole in the top layer ...

werked for me ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Resident German

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 27 2005, 10:03 AM)
can't recall where that POR-15 doesn't spray well at all.

we sprayed it on my car. the por-15 guys make a thinner that works very well with it, just for that purpose ...

sprayed interior ...
(IMG:http://www.sirandy.com/pix/914/work/046.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
JCG
post Jan 27 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,444

I bought a few new paint cans at Home D and just decant into a fresh can each time I use it. BTW, I can't get the stuff to mist spray out of a hand sprayer. I took a coat hanger wire and tied a piece of fabric to the end, soaked it in por15 and shoved it down the longs. Kinda like cleaning a gun.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #14

Resident German

QUOTE (JCG @ Jan 27 2005, 10:31 AM)
BTW, I can't get the stuff to mist spray out of a hand sprayer.

you'll need the thinner they sell ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Urban Redneck
post Jan 27 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 385

Andy's correct keep the paint from being exposed to the air as much as possible. I believe the POR is a "moisture cure urethane". Moisture in the air release the blockers of the isocyanate (catalyst) which gives the paint its very durable and chemical resistant properties.

Basically POR's making the paint more user friendly. I'm in the coating business and am impressed with this product.

Tom-
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 27 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #16

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

here is a trick

put the lid on what ever container you are using to store it in, lift the corner of the lid and stick in the tube on a can of super duster ( the computer stuff ) and give it a good squirt to displace the o2 and moisture in the can then seal. if you ever do plastic casting, the resins will not give good castings when it absorbs moisture.
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Jan 27 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,264

I've sealed it with plastic wrap before and it works great. Another suggestion is to take a sheet metal screw and screw it into the lid on both sides, one hole to pour, the other to vent. When your done, just put some sheet metal screws back in the holes, the por15 that dries around the screw seals it nicely. When it's time to use again, just pull the screws out.

charles
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 27 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (JCG @ Jan 27 2005, 10:31 AM)
I bought a few new paint cans at Home D and just decant into a fresh can each time I use it. BTW, I can't get the stuff to mist spray out of a hand sprayer. I took a coat hanger wire and tied a piece of fabric to the end, soaked it in por15 and shoved it down the longs. Kinda like cleaning a gun.

Genious I'd a never thought of that. Now I got a new item on the "to do" list
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 27 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I should note that it doesn't have an infinite shelf life, either. I bought a six-pack of the plastic pint containers in about 1998, and didn't try to use them until 2002. I hadn't even removed the shrink wrap from the package, let alone touched the tops on the containers. They were always stored on a high shelf in the garage. Every one of them was useless. I bought another package and used one of the pints right away, but still have the other five, unopened. I'm hoping they're still useful when I need them this summer.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jan 27 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #20

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

My wife paints scenery for TV shows and the likes, using small amount of various paints bought in bulk. She's got 2 tips:

Press plastic wrap down onto the surface of the paint in the can, it'll float. This separates the paint from the air in the can. The wrap can be sealed onto the wet paint on the sides of the can. Do not shake up the can until you've removed the plastic before the next use.

Like the suggestion above to use a shot of keyboard cleaner in the can, use the inert gas from your welder. Heavier than air, it will displace the air from the can if fed gently into an upright can. My buddy does this to preserve open bottles of $$ wine. It's alot cheaper than the little cartridges sold in wine snob stores.

Eric
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:33 PM