Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to do with my 70 914, Was A V8 now what? Suby 6 or sell as roller?
Sell or Suby
Install a suby 6 & get it painted or sell it?
Install suby 6 & finish car [ 16 ] ** [72.73%]
Sell it as a roller ready for a water cooled drivetrain [ 6 ] ** [27.27%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
JRust
post Sep 27 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm a little unsure what direction to take with my old v8 car. Uncovered it & gave it a bath today. Used to have a Buick v8 but I was never happy with the setup. Sold it to put in an LS1. Bought my current suby conversion & kind of lost interest. Sold the LS1 setup knowing I wasn't going to be getting to it anytime soon.

Another year down the road & I'm not much closer to doing a motor. I'd like to do a suby 6. I've still got my renegade radiator in it so it is ready for water cooled. I've got a nice finished car. It would be a no brainer to just sell it. Problem is this has been my baby & even as a roller I've got to much invested in it. Knowing there is no way I'm going to give it away. What the hell do i do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

This is how it sits now. I have a nice late SC front suspension. Brakes upgraded to the 944 turbo calipers up front. Rear 5lug done with 911 axles/hubs calipers stock. Replaced passenger suspension ear & added suspension ear reinforcement. Plus welded a rod to firewall from front of ear. Added a Stinger in the rear trunk to haul my 914 trailer. Butt welded metal GT AA flares. Prepped & ready for paint. Needs the firewall section replaced. Was cut out by PO in the late 80's for the buick motor. No rust. Originally Adriatic Blue but painted Orange at least outside. Obviously it needs repainted but really don't want to go Adriatic. If I was going blue I'd do Alaska Blue Metallic as it's my favorite blue on a 914.

Okay let me know what you think. I am not desperate for money so I don't need to sell. Just seeing if there is much point in me doing another. I can only drive one. My current suby I should have back after my electrical fire episode in November. It is pretty much all I want in a 914 or close. May add a turbo or a suby 6 at some point. It is sweet as it is though

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 27 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

928 Conversion.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 27 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Give it to me so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I need a staring point for my next build... Boxster donor car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 27 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

You know Jamie, there's a soda blasted roller down at McMark's you haven't owned yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 27 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

I have had this car a good 8 years Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . One reason I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. It's been my baby & swore I'd never sell it. I've never considered this one of the many (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I'm probably kidding myself. Not sure I could bring myself to sell it
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 27 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That's a tough decision... how about something wild with too much power that you'd only want to drive once in awhile? Maybe a track car? Twin turbo V8? If it's your baby, maybe just let it sit awhile longer and see how you really feel about it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Sep 28 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #7

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Get to work...the car deserves it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 28 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You know what I'd recommend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . The reality is you will go a bit negative whether it's sold as a roller or completed. You'll just lose more $ one way than the other. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) That being said, I can guarantee you that if you put the more powerful EZ in the red one the Green one will become a stepchild. Horsepower is addictive as Hell!
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Sep 28 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #9

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

6.0L LS! It would be fun to build, faster than you would ever want and your baby would be finished. The Chev LS stuff is stupidly reliable and simple(You know this) In a perfect world I would own a 2.0 4, a big six, a subie, and an LS car. All different, all fun as hell. Variety! I gotta say though putting my foot into a 6L car(I never have)would be sh!thouse crazy! I think about it all the time...
Keep baby. Make her fast. Stinky fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 28 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #10

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 27 2014, 04:58 PM) *

928 Conversion.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 100%
see "Area 51" & be assimilated...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien_2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/very_first_smiley[1].gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 28 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

I don't have the skills Ricks does. He knows that motor inside & out & can rebuild it. I can't touch that & other than it keeping it all Porsche. I would be money ahead going suby or LS. Both of those I am capable of working on. More importantly I can get work on either at a local shop with pretty cheap replacement parts. I love the Alien but it is not in the cards for me
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 29 2014, 12:07 AM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 27 2014, 06:51 PM) *

I have had this car a good 8 years Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . One reason I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. It's been my baby & swore I'd never sell it. I've never considered this one of the many (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I'm probably kidding myself. Not sure I could bring myself to sell it

I hear ya.. I've been toying with selling mine for years...

It was my first car, my first build, built it with my dad, my first paint job, got married in it.. ect...

Hard decision..
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Sep 29 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #13

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

Stick in the corner until you decide. I can identify with you and Andyrew about the termoil you go through in getting rid of cars you are closely identified through the memories, etc.

Speaking with with a lot of age experience, you will always regret getting rid of that "special car" and kick yourself for years. Always a "what-if" situation
My first 914 (there were also many special cars before this) was a junkyard roller converted to a chev v-8 many years before the kits were developed (Rod Simpson and the first Renegade kits were being thought.). Got the car running, insured, and licensed in California; handled like an early Vette; put 300 miles on her and it sat for about 10-15 years; along came the 914club then 914 world; worked on it a little; in 2001 to 2004 considerd getting rid of it and getting out of 914 altogether; sold the car parts and dismanted it thus getting; moved to Flagstaff.

Within one year of moving to Flagstaff, AZ I was back into the 914 scene buying a roller out of Ventura thus leading to my present car.

Point of the "Long Wind", be sure before you ultimately decide before acting. You will always need and have to have to have an "on-going project". Why keep buying additional 914s?

You have an excellent base to build an excellent project AND I know you have all the parts available in your "stash".

Have fun in whatever you do.

I may have my 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider ready for an intermediate trip to your area from Grants Pass. May I will meet you someday since I have bought several parts from you over the past few years.

Hi, Andyrew.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 29 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Hey Steve definitely need to meet up sometime. I've got to keep it in mind as I get down to Medford occasionally for work.

On my car I can stand to sit on it. Hell it's been sitting pretty much the last 2+ years without any work done to it. I did sell my first 73 2.0 years ago which I had restored. I practically teared up when I left it with it's new owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . So I guess it's not like I haven't been down this road before. I think it is more being able to sell it without feeling like I gave it away. Even as a roller I have so much invested in it as it sits. I think I'll be getting it driveable to sell it. I need to drive it again before it goes away. I'll be working on getting that done. I've got a line on a good eg33 for $600 with the ECU. Know a guy who will make me a wiring harness pretty reasonably. So I'll be doing some research on doing that.

I think for this winter I will be learning how to weld. I've got the firewall that was cut out for the v8 to replace. Although I may do a dzu fastener setup. It is nice having that access. I also want to add some wire mesh for the radiator air outlet cutouts. Then I'm going to work on prepping it for paint.

Just posting this I know I am not in a rush. I could live with it being gone at the same time. Realistically if it was gone tomorrow would the world end. Hell no but I do need something to keep my winter busy. So it's time I get to working on my 914 again. It's been neglected far to long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 30 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #15

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 29 2014, 09:48 AM) *

I need to drive it again before it goes away. I'll be working on getting that done. I've got a line on a good eg33 for $600 with the ECU. Know a guy who will make me a wiring harness pretty reasonably. So I'll be doing some research on doing that.

I'd vote for the EZ30 personally. I'm biased, but I based my decision on better parts availability than the EG33 (newer and more import crossover), a more modern fuel injection setup, likely lower mileage and a bit less weight.

With respect to the v8, power to weight wise its better, and simnpler, and probably less expensive, but it has two big downsides:

higher center of gravity

but most of all limited transmission options. After driving the subie converted with a cable shifted modern Subaru 5MT I haven't even thought of looking back.

I should have let you drive mine at RRC! sorry that I missed that opportunity!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 30 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 30 2014, 07:14 PM) *

I'd vote for the EZ30 personally. I'm biased, but I based my decision on better parts availability than the EG33 (newer and more import crossover), a more modern fuel injection setup, likely lower mileage and a bit less weight.

With respect to the v8, power to weight wise its better, and simnpler, and probably less expensive, but it has two big downsides:

higher center of gravity

but most of all limited transmission options. After driving the subie converted with a cable shifted modern Subaru 5MT I haven't even thought of looking back.

I should have let you drive mine at RRC! sorry that I missed that opportunity!

I have a suby tranny in my 2.5. It definitely spoils you to the 901. So smooth & easy the drivability is just amazing. Just looking for a nice solid drivetrain for it. No big rush I'll be looking for a deal & have time. I may be making a trip to Durango in Novemeber. Planning to get together with Mike for some grub. Can't remember where your at Ross but if your close. Always good to have an excuse to get 914's together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Sep 30 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,534
Region Association: None

Have a heart to heart talk with Speed Metal Army

His car is truly bad/good/ If you want power, done relatively inexpensively (I know, these cars all cost a whack of money, but some methods are a little easier to take than others), he may have your solution.

Haven't ridden in the car, but it is a worthy car to use as a template.

Paul
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 1 2014, 06:45 AM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 28 2014, 08:15 PM) *

I don't have the skills Ricks does. He knows that motor inside & out & can rebuild it. I can't touch that & other than it keeping it all Porsche. I would be money ahead going suby or LS. Both of those I am capable of working on. More importantly I can get work on either at a local shop with pretty cheap replacement parts. I love the Alien but it is not in the cards for me

C'mon, how hard can it be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) According to Bowlsby the early 928s use a Bosch FI like the 914. Done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 1 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

C'mon, how hard can it be? According to Bowlsby the early 928s use a Bosch FI like the 914. Done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Another reason to do the Subaru conversion.

Bob
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:20 AM