Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiper Switch Conversion, Different for Early Cars? What am I missing?
HalfMoon
post Sep 29 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 29 2014, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Sep 29 2014, 06:46 PM) *

It was 91 on the schematic for a 1973. Might be different on other year models (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
The fact that you've gotten yours installed without blowing fuse 8 is miles ahead of my nightmare.
Be grateful grasshoppa

Yeah, I don't see the equivalent on the pre-'73 diagram. It is clear as an extra wire on the '73 diagram. So I just need to hunt in the trunk and try to find it. I may need to remove the fuel tank to find it, which I guess would be a good time to investigate why the fresh air blower is not working ("while I'm in there"). That's why she's called the "red onion" - layers.

I'll give you an update when I find it. Thanks again, Dave!

Hmmm. Interesting. Your fresh air blower isn't working? Y'know the fresh air, horn and wiper all share a relay, right? And all are powered from fuse 8....
Pulling a fuel tank can be a pia. Mebbe think about power and continuity checks on the wire leading from that relay to your blower motor.
It prompts the question, were you having any issues with the horn and or wipers?
And I know this will sound silly....but often the fuses and holders (40 years old) get cruded up and can and DO effect components from working (don't ask how I know). Make sure those areas are sparkly clean (emory cloth).
My .2 cents
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Sep 29 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #22

Oh and as I recall I think I remember finding my wire. It was buried in the wrap of the harness in the trunk. You may find it if you do some unwrapping :-)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 29 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

I'm pretty sure my fresh air blower is getting juice - it's just blocked by leaves, dead mice or other junk. In fact last week I think I finally got enough crud off the contacts in the climate control switch that power started going to it - and then I saw smoke coming out of the vent which meant I was burning up the motor. All the fuses are old, but good. I was just hoping to not pull the tank until I had less fuel in it.

Yeah, I started digging around tonight in the trunk looking for that wire. I think I may have found it coming up into the trunk in a big loom on the driver's side and then going in the back of the fresh air blower housing. But I can't see where it ends up, so I guess it's still back there behind that housing. I'll keep looking!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 30 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #24

So I took out the fuel tank today and removed the fresh air blower housing (fixing that is a whole 'nother tale).

Anyway, I am looking for that extra, do-nothing wire that is "conveniently" located somewhere in the front trunk. Given that few things, if anything, are "convenient" on a 914, I am skeptical. Is this thing real or myth? Has anyone actually seen this wire or taken a picture of it?

Well, I did find this wire that matches the brown with black stripe as the unused "fifth" female connection on the steering column. In the picture below, the wire comes out of the harness and doubles back on itself into the harness. I can't find an extra wire on the pre '73 wiring diagrams although there is one marked on the later diagrams that matches this color.

So why would a wire double back on itself in the wiring harness? Did the engineers put that there with the intention of using an electric pump for the washer?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Sep 30 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 30 2014, 04:29 PM) *

So I took out the fuel tank today and removed the fresh air blower housing (fixing that is a whole 'nother tale).

Anyway, I am looking for that extra, do-nothing wire that is "conveniently" located somewhere in the front trunk. Given that few things, if anything, are "convenient" on a 914, I am skeptical. Is this thing real or myth? Has anyone actually seen this wire or taken a picture of it?

Well, I did find this wire that matches the brown with black stripe as the unused "fifth" female connection on the steering column. In the picture below, the wire comes out of the harness and doubles back on itself into the harness. I can't find an extra wire on the pre '73 wiring diagrams although there is one marked on the later diagrams that matches this color.

So why would a wire double back on itself in the wiring harness? Did the engineers put that there with the intention of using an electric pump for the washer?

Attached Image

I believe that's it. Pin 5 was for the dealer intermittent wiper option.
Try unplugging your j connector from the base of the column and use a continuity tester (very different from a test light I might add). If you don't have one ya can borrow mine. Or I guess you could use a test light on it and see if activating your washer lights up the light....
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 30 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Sep 30 2014, 06:50 PM) *

Try unplugging your j connector from the base of the column and use a continuity tester (very different from a test light I might add). If you don't have one ya can borrow mine. Or I guess you could use a test light on it and see if activating your washer lights up the light....

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner, Dave. I went ahead and cut that wire and I get 12V when pulling back on the wiper switch. Ok, this is good progress. Now I just need to wire up, secure the pump, and I'm on my way. As a bonus, I took out the fresh air blower and got that working again after cleaning the crap out of it.

Thanks for your help, Dave! I need to schedule a time to come help you with yours once I get my brakes working again.

rob c.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Sep 30 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 30 2014, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Sep 30 2014, 06:50 PM) *

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner, Dave. I went ahead and cut that wire and I get 12V when pulling back on the wiper switch. Ok, this is good progress. Now I just need to wire up, secure the pump, and I'm on my way. As a bonus, I took out the fresh air blower and got that working again after cleaning the crap out of it.

Thanks for your help, Dave! I need to schedule a time to come help you with yours once I get my brakes working again.

rob c.

Well I'm pretty astounded! I couldn't get that switch to work to save MY LIFE! Teach me what you did dood!
D
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 30 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Another slightly off/on topic response. Brad Mayeur hooked me up electrically on the dash, not the stalk. It looks like he put an early washer button onto a hollowed out cigarette lighter and installed a microswitch at the end of the lighter receptacle. Pushbutton washer!

Paul
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Oct 1 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 30 2014, 09:24 PM) *

Another slightly off/on topic response. Brad Mayeur hooked me up electrically on the dash, not the stalk. It looks like he put an early washer button onto a hollowed out cigarette lighter and installed a microswitch at the end of the lighter receptacle. Pushbutton washer!

Paul

Paul,
Is that the same user and part previously mentioned in this thread or a different vendor?
If it's a different vendor, how much did that cost ya?
TY
D
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:58 PM