Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help: Car won't turn off, ...unless I pull the coil wire
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Getting my car back together after replacing the fuel pump with a 2-port Bosch 69133 unit from Napa.

Car starts as normal, but when I turn her off she just keeps running. I can remove the key from ignition and she keeps running. And of course, this isn't some sort of overrun condition....actual running. Pull the coil wire and she dies as expected.

Other notes, fuel pump is wired to switch power up front (previous owner did this).

:dunno:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 28 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

did you reverse the wires on the new pump? it might now be grounding what should be the hot side.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #3

914's are kewl

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 28 2014, 03:21 PM) *

did you reverse the wires on the new pump? it might now be grounding what should be the hot side.

Well, stupid question, should the hot wire be connected to "+" or "-"? Right now it is connected to "+" on the Bosch 69133 pump.

Haynes manual says possibly bad ground to 31b (car keeps running after ignition switched off). No idea where 31b is. Possibly my ground is no good? If so, that makes me so happy because now I have to drain the tank again and disconnect to get at that ground wire. I don't see another location to ground another wire that is handy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hanged.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 28 2014, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 28 2014, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 28 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Well, stupid question, should the hot wire be connected to "+" or "-"? Right now it is connected to "+" on the Bosch 69133 pump.

Haynes manual says possibly bad ground to 31b (car keeps running after ignition switched off). No idea where 31b is. Possibly my ground is no good? If so, that makes me so happy because now I have to drain the tank again and disconnect to get at that ground wire. I don't see another location to ground another wire that is handy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hanged.gif)

Pull that tank 10 or 12 more times and it gets easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) How do I know? I can pull/install my tank in less than 10 min's now. My only claim to fame. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Sep 28 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,977

Did your car turn off before you swapped the fuel pumps?
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #6

914's are kewl

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Sep 28 2014, 04:14 PM) *

Did your car turn off before you swapped the fuel pumps?

Yes.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 28 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

31 on this schematic is the negative battery terminal. 31B might be the tranny strap? Check all your ground points first. 31B could also refer to a relay terminal or switch terminal.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 28 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #8

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 28 2014, 04:31 PM) *

31 on this schematic is the negative battery terminal. 31B might be the tranny strap? Check all your ground points first. 31B could also refer to a relay terminal or switch terminal.

Attached Image

the diagram for a '74 car might be better to work off of. this one is an early '73
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 28 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 28 2014, 04:50 PM) *

the diagram for a '74 car might be better to work off of. this one is an early '73

OK, but this one confuses some people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #10

914's are kewl

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 28 2014, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 28 2014, 04:50 PM) *

OK, but this one confuses some people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

I don't see any choice but to take the tank out again next weekend and start over. Of all things, I did take the battery to chassis ground cable off last weekend and cleaned it up. I just took that off again, had a look and put it back on. It's actually cleaner and nicer than it was before.

But the problem still persists... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Who knows? Maybe it is the tranny ground strap. The car has been jacked up on its front wheels for a couple weeks now. Maybe that wiggled the trans ground strap loose (or it even broke). Of course, that's really just wishful thinking on my part hoping not to have to take the tank apart and out again.

So before I take the tank out next weekend, how can I check the ground at the pump with a voltmeter?
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Sep 28 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #11

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If your running an electronic ignition you may be getting current bleeding back in through the alternator gauge bulb blue wire. May need to place a diode in that wire. It happens....
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #12

914's are kewl

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 28 2014, 05:11 PM) *

If your running an electronic ignition you may be getting current bleeding back in through the alternator gauge bulb blue wire. May need to place a diode in that wire. It happens....

Agree that this stuff happens, but not sure why? Replacing the fuel pump did that? Cleaning up the battery to chassis ground did that? I actually cleaned up the chassis ground next to the fuse box area a few weeks before the pump went out.

+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #13

914's are kewl

Well, from bad to worse. Won't even start now. Either one of the fuel lines is crimped or I may not even have enough gas in it. I put in about 1.5 gallons. Pump is very loud and sounds as if it is working extra hard.

I'm running 30R9 nearly everywhere (except the 12mm filter to pump section) That 30R9 hose is not very forgiving when coiling/turning it. I guess I'll just pick up some of the BMW 9.5mm fuel line from PP that is much more flexible for the tank supply line where it needs coiled. The 8mm 30R9 return to tank seems to be OK (has enough space to coil up properly).

Where can I find a list of all the chassis grounds to check out? One by the battery. One by the fuse box. Transmission ground strap. Others?
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Sep 28 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #14

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

The first things to check are the things that you touched during your last repair.
+Quote Post
57lincolnman
post Sep 28 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

I had this problem and it was the ignition switch itself. The plastic ring cracks inside these and can cause this problem. Do you notice that there isn't the usual type of resistance in the switch? Hint: you can just stall the engine by letting out the clutch. It's easy to access (if you don't have a/c) with the access panel under the steering wheel.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Sep 28 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 28 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Well, from bad to worse. Won't even start now. Either one of the fuel lines is crimped or I may not even have enough gas in it. I put in about 1.5 gallons. Pump is very loud and sounds as if it is working extra hard.

I'm running 30R9 nearly everywhere (except the 12mm filter to pump section) That 30R9 hose is not very forgiving when coiling/turning it. I guess I'll just pick up some of the BMW 9.5mm fuel line from PP that is much more flexible for the tank supply line where it needs coiled. The 8mm 30R9 return to tank seems to be OK (has enough space to coil up properly).

Where can I find a list of all the chassis grounds to check out? One by the battery. One by the fuse box. Transmission ground strap. Others?

For what it's worth that's exactly the sound my electric pump (on a sbc convert) makes when it's got no fuel to pump. Get's very loud and then....well you know the rest.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #17

914's are kewl

Lots of good suggestions here:

1. Trans ground strap - was going to do this anyway
2. Ignition switch - This could be related to the inability of the car to turn off after turning on.
3. Loud new fuel pump (this is either not enough gas in the tank or crimped lines after the reinstall of the tank).

Well, I need to get the fuel sorted out first in #3. I guess I am hoping that #2 or #1 above are why it won't shut off when the key is turned off. Where can I get a good ignition switch these days? I think have read before on these boards that quality can be an issue with these switches these days...
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #18

914's are kewl

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Sep 28 2014, 07:00 PM) *

The first things to check are the things that you touched during your last repair.

Well, my repair has been replacing a bad fuel pump. It ballooned into stripping/repainting the tank, replacing all the fuel hose with 30R9, replacing the fuel injector o-rings, replacing the intake runner boots and replacing the intake runner gaskets.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 28 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #19

914's are kewl

QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Sep 28 2014, 07:56 PM) *

I had this problem and it was the ignition switch itself. The plastic ring cracks inside these and can cause this problem. Do you notice that there isn't the usual type of resistance in the switch? Hint: you can just stall the engine by letting out the clutch. It's easy to access (if you don't have a/c) with the access panel under the steering wheel.

I'm starting the car (when it was starting earlier today) with gear in neutral and no clutch depressed. Ignition switch does turn freely, but I don't have anything to compare it too (ie. a brand new one turning "not so freely").
+Quote Post
etcmss
post Sep 29 2014, 03:44 AM
Post #20

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had this happen when putting gages back in to the dash. car would not turn off...
Swapped the ignition switch--not it, swapped the fuel pump relay--not it. checked all grounds clean to the chassis.
Got out the 74 electrical schematic.
I thought to pull each fuse one at a time until car died and then trace all fused loads.
intent was to remove all fuse * wires with car running and see which one allowed the car to die.
Drop the fuse panel and start the car.
Went to fuse 8 (?) (supplies the fuel pump red-black wired that is switched thru relay panel) and pulled all output side wires one at a time. Then traced out what that supplied.
another would be the Pelican electrical link to regulator circuit--- this link does a 73

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73E.jpg

regulator plate link http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_R...e_Circuitry.jpg
ground points http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_GroundPoints.jpg

Mine was the generator light bulb and socket.

Another time a fuse kept blowing and it was the license plate lights being installed incorrect.
so be skeptical of what you recently worked on and thought all was well.
hope some of this helps.
Gary

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:05 AM