Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help: Car won't turn off, ...unless I pull the coil wire
etcmss
post Sep 29 2014, 03:55 AM
Post #21

etcmss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

added the 74 diagram--print in color then tape together to get it oriented right.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  1974_914_wiring.pdf ( 1.1mb ) Number of downloads: 17
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 29 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #22

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I was thinking about my fuel pump installation....

The old 3-port fuel pump mounted up front was large enough in diameter that it fit perfectly in the bracket being used. The new 2-port fuel pump is a smaller diameter. I couldn't get the bracket tightened down enough to secure it. So....... I took an old bicycle inner tube and cut it up. I wrapped the tube around the new Bosch 2-port pump to give it some more girth (diameter) such that it now secures tightly in the bracket.

Question though....does the pump get any grounding from the bracket itself? As of now, with the rubber inner tube wrapped around it, it is totally isolated from ground except for the "suspect" ground wire I am working on.
+Quote Post
etcmss
post Sep 29 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #23

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899

your wrap won't cause an operational problem---no its not grounded--has 2 wires to run + and -.
did you also try changing the fuel pump relay? Mine did have this problem also and when changed out the car did run again.
Gary

so take a voltmeter and pull the 2 wires to the fuel pump and measure the volts when turning on the key---volts??? yes or no....
do you hear the hum when turning on the key? all mine used to do this (FI ones)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 29 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #24

914's are kewl

QUOTE(etcmss @ Sep 29 2014, 09:07 AM) *

your wrap won't cause an operational problem---no its not grounded--has 2 wires to run + and -.
did you also try changing the fuel pump relay? Mine did have this problem also and when changed out the car did run again.
Gary

so take a voltmeter and pull the 2 wires to the fuel pump and measure the volts when turning on the key---volts??? yes or no....
do you hear the hum when turning on the key? all mine used to do this (FI ones)

Thanks. Yes, my pump is running. The pump was wired up front off of switched power by the PO vs. the original fuel pump relay off the relay board in the back. My issue (from the first post) started with car would start but not turn off when putting the key in off position unless I pulled the coil wire. It further degraded to a no-start and noisy pump sound.

1. The noisy pump is likely a crimped fuel line. Also possible that I am very low on gas as I only put in 1.5 gallons and the car is on jack stands in the front. My first step might be to simply put some more gas in or lower it back off the jack stands and try starting again. I suspect it will start again and then I'll be back to the original problem (see #2 below).

2. Assuming I get her to start again, I'm trying to figure out why she won't turn off when I turn off the key.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Sep 29 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,035

The noisy pump sounds like a kinked fuel hose under the tank.....I just went through that scenario myself. I was able to reach up through the access hole, under the belly pan and reroute the hoses enough to rid the lines of kinking. My noise went away and the bad hesitation/drive-ability problems ceased. And I didn't have to pull the fuel tank again! 30R9 hose kinks easily......
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 29 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #26

914's are kewl

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Sep 29 2014, 11:37 AM) *

The noisy pump sounds like a kinked fuel hose under the tank.....I just went through that scenario myself. I was able to reach up through the access hole, under the belly pan and reroute the hoses enough to rid the lines of kinking. My noise went away and the bad hesitation/drive-ability problems ceased. And I didn't have to pull the fuel tank again! 30R9 hose kinks easily......

Yes, agree that the 30R9 does kink easily. I'll probably just replace it with some more flexible hose from Pelican. Kind of shame because I did 30R9 everywhere else on the car (exlcuding the 12mm or 1/2" line from filter to 2-port Bosch pump).

Maybe I need to locate the hard lines coming out of the bottom of the tank to a better orientation? If I am laying under car and looking at the tank supply and return lines coming out, they both are pointing at 4 o'clock-ish. Essentially, from under the car, they point to the passenger side where I am routing the fuel line hose and looping back. This is for both the return and supply lines.

Maybe pointing one in a little different orientation can help alleviate the kinking? Such as pointing the supply line more at 2 o'clock?
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Sep 29 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #27

I think both of my tank fittings are pointing toward pass. side and slightly toward back of the car. In my case, I just used a little too much hose length and there is a limited amount of routing once the tank gets back in. I was surprised how much luck I had checking the hoses for kinks by feel. I'd say be careful to keep your eye on those fuel hoses if you end up going with something not rated for ethanol.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 29 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #28

914's are kewl

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Sep 29 2014, 12:03 PM) *

I think both of my tank fittings are pointing toward pass. side and slightly toward back of the car. In my case, I just used a little too much hose length and there is a limited amount of routing once the tank gets back in. I was surprised how much luck I had checking the hoses for kinks by feel. I'd say be careful to keep your eye on those fuel hoses if you end up going with something not rated for ethanol.

I'd love to find some 30R9 12mm, but the way the hose routes (pump is mounted underneath by steering rack), I don't possibly see how 12mm 30R9 could be routed without it kinking there. Getting the 8mm (7.9mm actually) and 9.5mm 30R9 routed withotu kinks under the tank is probably a possibility still. I'll have to dig in again this weekend.

With so many hoses coming in and out of that access hole, I can't get my big fat hands in there. Perhaps I can get my 4 year old to do the job? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Sep 29 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #29

Yes, 4 years old....that's about the right age to teach them the Porsche maintenance!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 30 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #30

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Electrical problems can be really strange. I once had a problem where the car would keep running as long as the left turn signal was on. I could remove the key, lock the door, and walk away from the car and the motor would keep running.

I eventually figured out that the "parking light" feature was feeding power back into the ignition switch, sending it to the fuel pump and oil and such.

The feedback was because I had swapped in a single-filament bulb for a dual-filament one in the taillight. I had done that a couple of months before noticing the problem, because I don't usually park the car with a turn signal on...

So, does the turn signal switch have anything to do with your symptoms?

--DD
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 30 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #31

914's are kewl

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 30 2014, 11:58 AM) *

Electrical problems can be really strange. I once had a problem where the car would keep running as long as the left turn signal was on. I could remove the key, lock the door, and walk away from the car and the motor would keep running.

I eventually figured out that the "parking light" feature was feeding power back into the ignition switch, sending it to the fuel pump and oil and such.

The feedback was because I had swapped in a single-filament bulb for a dual-filament one in the taillight. I had done that a couple of months before noticing the problem, because I don't usually park the car with a turn signal on...

So, does the turn signal switch have anything to do with your symptoms?

--DD

Good question Dave. I'll find out more this weekend. I don't believe my turn signal was on and I haven't changed a bulb or done anything with the car in that area.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:42 PM