Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggested wire routing., Speaker and temperature gauge routing.
agent9
post Sep 29 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,037
Region Association: None

Doing a lot of work to my 1970 914/4, and currently have a lot of the interior and the gas tank out of the car, and am thinking this is probably the best time to correctly run all the wiring for the extra bits I have put into the car.

A quick bit of history: the heater boxes on my car are shot, so I just pulled all the piping / pump / etc for the heater and defroster. Figured I would put it all back in when I tracked down some SS heater boxes. Then I put a stereo system into the car (head unit, two three way speakers, a sub, main amp, sub amp, and a capacitor) everything that is not in the cabin is located in the front trunk. All the wires I just ran through the old heating conduits. I also installed a later model guage with temp, and put a sensor on the engine. I also ran that cable though the heating conduit.

Well, I now have some SS heater boxes that I plan on installing in the near future, and I also have a bunch of the bits out of the car, including the gas tank. I am wondering what you all have found to be the best routing of the wires? I am thinking of running the main (heavy wire) power line on the far side of the passenger side between the seat and the heating conduit under the rug, then through then under the gas tank and into the front trunk space. Then running the passenger side speaker cables and sub cables back the same way. I may also run the drivers side speaker cables back that same way, or may make a couple additional holes on the drives side for those speaker wires.

For the temp sensor I am thinking of basically doing the same thing (but on a lower scale) on the drivers side (single hole through the rear firewall, and running it along the floor and up to the instrument cluster).

This all seems to make the most sense to me but wanted to know if anyones experience leads to a better option.

The only other option I can imagine would be running the cables through the center channel, but all those electrical cables next to the fuel lines seems like a bad idea to me.

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 30 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Front trunk area, follow the headlight wiring up and over the "firewall" in the front trunk, up into the cabin on the drivers side.

Rear temp gauge, follow the main harness into the tunnel.
I added a new hole in the rear so I don't need to put wires into the big rubber, but it feeds right into the tunnel with a grommet for protection.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:57 AM