Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Cam Gear number
Sea Dragon 914
post Sep 29 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 358
Region Association: Northern California

What is the number that is stamped on the Cam gear? I have one that is "0" and another that is "-2". Can I use the cams interchangeably when rebuilding my engine or do I have to go with the same gear number?

Thx,
SD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
larss
post Sep 30 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,787
Region Association: Scandinavia

The number indicates the gear "size" which differs due to manufacturing tolerances. Gear on crank and cam are ment to both have the same no for longest life and less noise.
I dont know how important that is...someone else might know...

Lars S
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 30 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I don't think the numbered cam gears have been available for quite a while. All of the aftermarket cam gears are "0" anyway, so it can't be that bad to just use a "0".

Don't reuse the cams. Chances are pretty good that they're at least halfway worn out by now; going with a new one from a quality manufacturer (and new matching lifters!) only makes sense.

--DD
+Quote Post
Sea Dragon 914
post Sep 30 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 358

Thanks for the info.

I have a spare -2 cam that I had checked and re-ground by Elgins and the case I split has a 0 cam in it so I was thinking of just using the -2 cam. Maybe I'll send the 0 cam up to Elgins to have checked and re-ground. I have time as I still haven't ordered a piston set yet.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 30 2014, 11:34 AM) *

I don't think the numbered cam gears have been available for quite a while. All of the aftermarket cam gears are "0" anyway, so it can't be that bad to just use a "0".

Don't reuse the cams. Chances are pretty good that they're at least halfway worn out by now; going with a new one from a quality manufacturer (and new matching lifters!) only makes sense.

--DD

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:40 AM