Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sae 40w motor oil?
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 30 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Ben

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,917
Region Association: Southern California

So the VW shop that rebuilt my engine had always recommended I use straight 40 weight motor oil. I took their word for it and have used it ever since my car has been running. Now I see that no one here on the world uses it! Have I been using the wrong motor oil? Should I switch? I live in Southern California so temps hit 100+ sometimes, and this is my daily driver.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Sep 30 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

I run straight 50w (valvine vr 50) in the summer and vr 30 in fall and spring.
+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 30 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #3

Ben

QUOTE(injunmort @ Sep 30 2014, 10:36 AM) *

I run straight 50w (valvine vr 50) in the summer and vr 30 in fall and spring.

Ok cool, so I'm not the only one running a single weight oil, I'll probably switch to 30 w in the next month or so for fall/winter
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 30 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Back in the 60s, Porsche used to caution against multi-grade motor oils. By the mid 1970s the technology had changed and 20w50 became the oil of choice for 914s, at least in places like So Cal and other areas with a moderate to hot climate. That would include most of the US during the summer months. I would NEVER use a 50 wt. motor oil in a 914 unless it had a terrible low oil pressure problem, and then only until I could get it to a shop for repairs to correct the problem. Pretty much the same for 40 wt. The engine is still cold on startup, and that's where the "20" is important. The thin oil moves well through the engine when its cold, than the multi-viscosity additives kick in and increase the effective viscosity, providing the lubrication the engine needs when its hot. Really modern engines are designed to use even thinner oils, and current 911s call for 0w20 motor oil (many knowledgeable techs prefer 5w20). The tolerances and clearances are MUCH tighter and a thinner oil is required to flow properly.

Whatever brand you choose, be sure to get one with enough zinc to protect the flat tappet lifters and the camshaft.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 30 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #5

Ben

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 30 2014, 11:01 AM) *

Back in the 60s, Porsche used to caution against multi-grade motor oils. By the mid 1970s the technology had changed and 20w50 became the oil of choice for 914s, at least in places like So Cal and other areas with a moderate to hot climate. That would include most of the US during the summer months. I would NEVER use a 50 wt. motor oil in a 914 unless it had a terrible low oil pressure problem, and then only until I could get it to a shop for repairs to correct the problem. Pretty much the same for 40 wt. The engine is still cold on startup, and that's where the "20" is important. The thin oil moves well through the engine when its cold, than the multi-viscosity additives kick in and increase the effective viscosity, providing the lubrication the engine needs when its hot. Really modern engines are designed to use even thinner oils, and current 911s call for 0w20 motor oil (many knowledgeable techs prefer 5w20). The tolerances and clearances are MUCH tighter and a thinner oil is required to flow properly.

Whatever brand you choose, be sure to get one with enough zinc to protect the flat tappet lifters and the camshaft.

The Cap'n

Thanks cap'n, so you'd recommend 20w50?
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 30 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #6

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (some topics are beat to death)do some searches?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 30 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 30 2014, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 30 2014, 11:01 AM) *

The Cap'n

Thanks cap'n, so you'd recommend 20w50?

Yup.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 30 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,126

http://www.penngrade1.com/
+Quote Post
struckn
post Sep 30 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Translog, after an engine rebuild used SWEPCO 15W 40 Engine Oil in my 914 1.8L.
Remember that Oil is an important part of the Engine Cooling, different Oils heat and cool differently. Brad Pen would be my other choice.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 30 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #10

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 30 2014, 10:28 AM) *

So the VW shop that rebuilt my engine had always recommended I use straight 40 weight motor oil. I took their word for it and have used it ever since my car has been running. Now I see that no one here on the world uses it! Have I been using the wrong motor oil? Should I switch? I live in Southern California so temps hit 100+ sometimes, and this is my daily driver.

....Alright! let's beat-it to DEATH...I agree with the VW shop!!!(914)

+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 30 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Ben

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 30 2014, 06:11 PM) *

Are you being sarcastic? This VW shop works on 914s as well, I just call it a VW shop since it's not everyday they have a 914 being worked on. Anyway I believe the reason why they recommended straight 40 weight is due to the fact that they have been around for so long that they might still be old school. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, didn't know it annoyed people so much
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 30 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Don't mind him.
Run 20w50 or Brad Penn.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Oct 1 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #13

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 20w50.

Quick! Somebody get into the minutiae of the composition and characteristics of the different available oils.

Oil threads are always good to see. It keeps an important detail fresh in our minds. You could be in a store that doesn't have your usual brands and think, I remember reading about what to look for in an oil for my precious 914 the other day.
+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Oct 1 2014, 09:24 AM
Post #14

Ben

Thanks everybody for your input. Probably going to pick up some valvoline vr1 20w50 today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Oct 1 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #15

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Oct 1 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Thanks everybody for your input. Probably going to pick up some valvoline vr1 20w50 today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

That's what I use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 1 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #16

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 30 2014, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 30 2014, 06:11 PM) *

Are you being sarcastic? This VW shop works on 914s as well, I just call it a VW shop since it's not everyday they have a 914 being worked on. Anyway I believe the reason why they recommended straight 40 weight is due to the fact that they have been around for so long that they might still be old school. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, didn't know it annoyed people so much

"Old school" VW and Porsche guys used 30 weight. I AM "old school", and my long term memory is just fine.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post Oct 1 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 16,628
Region Association: None

Brad Penn
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Oct 1 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Valvoline VR1 20w-50 high zinc content oil.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Oct 1 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Oct 1 2014, 12:36 PM) *

Brad Penn

Yeah, I've seen most of his movies.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 1 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Topics are beat to death only if you have been around here for several years. The reason they are beat to death is because we have a constant influx of like minded people joining our ranks. I didn't know shit from apple butter when I joined here but I do now. Shit from apple butter that is. I'm still learning these little cars that we all love. Newbies and curmudgeons alike. The Cap'ns advice is solid. Ignore the BS that was coming from the galleries. Did you get that engine bay rubber installed yet?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:53 AM