Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TPS, contact arm repair, - known issue?
larss
post Sep 30 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,787
Region Association: Scandinavia

I fitted a used 2.0 throttle body on my 1911cc and this caused some bucking when accelerating and also when going off the pedal (ran fine with my old 1.7 TB).
Switched to another used 2.0 TB but the same symptoms.
After some fault finding it showed to be the TPS, on the outermost contact arm, the contact "point" (which has a rounded shape when new) had worn down and become flat. The diameter of the contact area had become so wide that it made contact to two tracks on the zig-zag tracks on the same time. This made the ECU to give strange extra injector pulses on accel but also pulses when going off the pedal.
It was easy to identify this with the ignition on and slolwy moving the throttle (engine off) there should be 20 clicks from the injectors when accelerating and none att decel.
It was hard to see this with the multimeter, easier with at test lamp and a battery.

The contact track dont look to worn and it did not help at all to move the contact arm a little to a new path.

I had an old 1.7 TB with a good contact arm which I cut 5mm of the tip and soldered under the old one on the 2.0 TB and the problem was solved.

My question is if this is the 1st thing that normally worns out in a TB (since I had two TBs with exactely the same symptom) and if there is any source for new contact arms?

/Lars S

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.lsmteknik.se-10787-1412102506.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Sep 30 2014, 02:45 PM
Post #2

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Don't think there is a new source for the contact arm. There is a vendor here on the site that sells new reproductions of the TPS at a reasonable price. Check the vendor section for this item.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Sep 30 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

I've got replacement boards, but I have no parts to repair the wiper arm, unfortunately.

Good job diagnosing and fixing the problem. Resourceful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:38 PM