Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> okay engine bay paint ?, just me being a csob
scotty914
post Jan 28 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #1

suby torque rules

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

pulled the suby motor today and i will be wire wheeling the whole engine bay to mostly bare metal. i have a 5 gallon kit ( i can do smaller batches ) of a 2 part epoxy paint/primer that uses powdered zinc as a filler ( 70 % by volumn ), i dont need to mix that much zinc in it, as the directions say. this paint system costs whole sale 400 bucks a 5 gallon kit, and is speced for the primer coat on water towers here in maryland, it is rolled on due to thickness ( zinc filler ).

i wonder how well it would work in the engine bay, the company who left it behind ( opps (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) said the stuff is basicly solvent resistant. the label after all of the legal stuff, says cleanup before cure is paint thinner or acetone. no clean up after cure. i saw these guy blasting it with coal ash, trying to remove it where they spilled it and it did not work very well.

basicly i figure its epoxy based with a high zinc %, so it should be good in an engine bay. also i dont have any por 15 around, and it says top coat can be any thing, but they used vynle on the water tower. i will use rattle can, not sure of color yet, car is black but i dont want a black hole again.any suggestion for engine bay color.

basicly looking for thoughts on using this paint, and for color ideas

tia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hopefully Don Traver will post a pic of his, its beautiful and not black.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 28 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #3

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

What color is the zinc primer?

I'd go with something light.......maybe silver?

Don't me to go O.T. on you here, but with a swap like you doing (V8's would be included), do you suppose that the airflow through the engine compartment would be reversed (maybe even improved) due to the lack of engine tin, and a natural low pressure area above the engine grill?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 28 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

primer is battle ship gray
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 28 2005, 03:26 AM
Post #5

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

You might just see how it looks gray, you may like it (anything goes with black).

If you do decide to go with a topcoat of color, does the primer directions say anything about topcoating while the primer is still tacky for better adhesion, or waiting "x" amount of days prior to a topcoat? Sometimes that two part epoxy paint is pretty glossy which may inhibit the adhesion of certain topcoats.

(hmmm....must be some kind of record for the number of times the word "topcoat" was used in two sentences) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:54 PM