Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Reviving the herd, Or, "How to lose money and friends and anger the wife"
paxton
post Oct 2 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,865
Region Association: South East States

See my first post:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=243052

I won't clutter up the board with a bunch of threads, so I'll contain my questions to this one.

First up is the green machine. Kind of more like sunflower than green, but I digress. The green machine has no battery. It will not start, obviously.

But first a little story. For the past few days, the keys for the green machine have been missing. I have a devious little boy who likes to grab things and put them away in his many toy boxes/behind the couch/underneath things I didn't know there was an underneath to. I also just sold an old 412 and thought maybe I left them in there for some odd reason. I had turned the house and the garage upside down. No keys.

I gather the family (which includes 3 older kids who always want money) and I said whoever finds the keys in this house will get $50. They never worked so hard. My wife wanted money to (surprise!) so she was in on the hunt too.

On a whim, my wife went out to the car and looked in the ignition. Silly woman. That car doesn't even have a battery in it. Why would you look in... "I found them!" she yelled. What? You found the keys? IN THE IGNITION????

Of course they would be in the ignition of a non-running car that doesn't have a battery. Of course... Then I remembered: I sold the 412 and moved the green machine in its place. I had to turn the key to keep the steering wheel from locking.

So I'm the idiot and I'm out $50.

Back to the car.

The previous owner told me it will start (and run) if you use some starting fluid. If you turn the engine off, it will not start again, until you use starting fluid.

My plan is to drain the gas, refuel, replace plugs, wires, and cap (at least), and then check each of the injectors. Change oil and new filter. Any other guidance?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
paxton   Reviving the herd   Oct 2 2014, 08:41 AM
cary   All the cars in my shop have the keys in them. LOL...   Oct 2 2014, 09:13 AM
BeatNavy   The previous owner told me it will start (and run...   Oct 2 2014, 09:16 AM
paxton   Can you tell us more about this car? What year, ...   Oct 2 2014, 09:29 AM
BeatNavy   Yes. It's the 73 1.7L. It has been sitting ...   Oct 2 2014, 09:45 AM
Cupomeat   Great story and remember that it may have been ver...   Oct 2 2014, 10:03 AM
poorsche914   I always leave the keys in the ignition in the 914...   Oct 2 2014, 11:31 AM
KELTY360   I asked her what she did with them but she only ...   Oct 2 2014, 12:55 PM
r_towle   Put a battery in it and turn the key just to run, ...   Oct 2 2014, 01:08 PM
paxton   I hear the fuel pump hum! That's a good s...   Oct 2 2014, 08:06 PM
r_towle   Well, you need to now see if it's coming out o...   Oct 2 2014, 08:18 PM
paxton   Well, you need to now see if it's coming out ...   Oct 3 2014, 02:43 PM
r_towle   Yah, well that would do it. Start with the fuses   Oct 3 2014, 07:55 PM
paxton   Yah, well that would do it. Start with the fuses ...   Oct 7 2014, 10:00 PM
BeatNavy   I am tempted to replace the brake lines and the f...   Oct 8 2014, 04:51 AM
Philip W.   not sure if i missed this but, is this car still i...   Oct 8 2014, 06:10 AM
paxton   My wife and I went to NAPA to try to get the pump....   Oct 8 2014, 04:09 PM
paxton   I'm going to send out the gas tank to get it s...   Oct 12 2014, 08:42 PM
JawjaPorsche   You don't need the Y if going to a two prong. ...   Oct 13 2014, 07:31 AM
paxton   You don't need the Y if going to a two prong....   Oct 13 2014, 09:30 AM
paxton   Got a quote from a radiator shop here in town for ...   Oct 13 2014, 09:31 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:52 AM