Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> European Parking Lights Say on Left Side, 3 fuses fell out when reaching for hood release
Grump
post Oct 6 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,930
Region Association: None

While at gas station 4 days ago, I reached in to release the hood to fill the tank. I grabbed the fuse panel and 3 fuses fell out. I was a block from home so I waiting until I got home to put them back in.

I didn't pay attention to what fuses they were. After putting them back in, I noticed the left side parking lights were on. The turn lever was in the neutral position. The right side works as it should. Turn signals and hazard flasher work as they should. I have a good schematic thanks to Jeff but I lack the ability to troubleshoot this #5 fuse circuit.

I don't necessarily need this "feature" and can just leave the fuse out, but it worked before and I would like to have it back to normal. I reenacted my motions, dropped the fuse panel and inspected it closely for short or grounds, dropped and changed the headlight switch and hazard switch. After 3 days I've gone as far as I can without some help.

Looking for help from those who may of had a problem with this circuit. It's getting 12V from somewhere. It's a 75..

Thanks. Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
john77
post Oct 8 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

I'm looking at the 75 current flow diagram in the back of my Haynes manual - I don't have a schematic for a 75. I only see one wire - black/grey - into 58L, so I'm not sure what the other wires are for. Have you traced where they go?

When you say you have the turn signal harness disconnected do you mean the black/white wires that go from the turn signal switch to the turn signals? I'm pretty sure the turn signal circuit is separate from the parking lights, so shouldn't effect it. At least that's the case on my 73, and the 75 current flow diagram seems to verify that. The parking lights should also be connected to the column switch [okay, I just double checked and they are, if you find D on the schematic, that's the ignition switch. The grey wire connected to it goes to 30 - which is what E19, the parking light switch, is on.]

What colors are the wires either side of fuse 5? As far as I can see there should be one grey/black on the front of the fuse (nearest driver) and two grey/black on the back, one of which goes to the front parking light, the other the rear.

If there are two wires going into the front of fuse 5 have you tried disconnecting one to deduce whether one or both are giving you the 12V constant?

My car has parking lights. I'm not sure what difference there is, if any, between parking lights and 'european parking lights.' If there is a difference, I have a feeling it may be to do with the housings. Maybe someone else can chime in. Does your car have side markers too?
+Quote Post
Grump
post Oct 8 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,930
Region Association: None

QUOTE(john77 @ Oct 8 2014, 07:15 PM) *

I'm looking at the 75 current flow diagram in the back of my Haynes manual - I don't have a schematic for a 75. I only see one wire - black/grey - into 58L, so I'm not sure what the other wires are for. Have you traced where they go?

When you say you have the turn signal harness disconnected do you mean the black/white wires that go from the turn signal switch to the turn signals? I'm pretty sure the turn signal circuit is separate from the parking lights, so shouldn't effect it. At least that's the case on my 73, and the 75 current flow diagram seems to verify that. The parking lights should also be connected to the column switch [okay, I just double checked and they are, if you find D on the schematic, that's the ignition switch. The grey wire connected to it goes to 30 - which is what E19, the parking light switch, is on.

What colors are the wires either side of fuse 5? As far as I can see there should be one grey/black on the front of the fuse (nearest driver) and two grey/black on the back, one of which goes to the front parking light, the other the rear.

If there are two wires going into the front of fuse 5 have you tried disconnecting one to deduce whether one or both are giving you the 12V constant?

My car has parking lights. I'm not sure what difference there is, if any, between parking lights and 'european parking lights.' If there is a difference, I have a feeling it may be to do with the housings. Maybe someone else can chime in. Does your car have side markers too?

Thanks for your reply. I disconnected the 3 connectors under the steering column. I assume they were for turn signal, wiper, and ignition. Trying to eliminate items that could cause the problem.

One #5 fuse, drivers side I have 2 wires, one grey and one looks like black with blue stripe. On the other side of the fuse there are 2 grey/black. It appears that these 2 go to 58L of the headlight switch, at least there are 2 grey/blk on this connection. I could not get continuity from one end to the other so I guess they are not the same 2 wires. I didn't separate either pair, they look factory to me. I will though if necessary.

But when I take these 2 off the headlights switch, the side markers stay on so how can they be the same? When I remove 30 on the light switch they go off as I think this is the unfused power.

My European parking lights did work before I knocked the fuse panel. With the ignition off and right turn signal up, the right side markers come on, now when I put the lever in the left turn position, the left side markers go out. I have to remove #5 fuse so the marker lights on the left side are not constantly on. Turn signal and flashers work as they should. Regards.. Bill
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Grump   European Parking Lights Say on Left Side   Oct 6 2014, 12:28 PM
SirAndy   European Parking Lights If the lever is in the neu...   Oct 6 2014, 12:46 PM
Grump   European Parking Lights If the lever is in the ne...   Oct 6 2014, 01:38 PM
Grump   [quote name='SirAndy' post='2094758' date='Oct 6 ...   Oct 6 2014, 03:06 PM
Grump   Update.. There are 34 pages when searching for el...   Oct 8 2014, 11:51 AM
john77   I'm a novice with this stuff, I'm learning...   Oct 8 2014, 02:31 PM
Grump   I'm a novice with this stuff, I'm learnin...   Oct 8 2014, 03:46 PM
john77   I'm looking at the 75 current flow diagram in ...   Oct 8 2014, 05:15 PM
Grump   I'm looking at the 75 current flow diagram in...   Oct 8 2014, 06:27 PM
john77   Okay, sorry, but this is as far as I can help you....   Oct 8 2014, 08:46 PM
john77   Double post.   Oct 8 2014, 08:47 PM
Tom   Bill, I can't give you a quick answer here...   Oct 8 2014, 11:16 PM
Tom   Bill, Read your thread again. The parking ...   Oct 9 2014, 01:31 AM
Grump   Bill, Read your thread again. The parking...   Oct 9 2014, 12:27 PM
r_towle   I remember once I wired up the front turn signals ...   Oct 9 2014, 01:06 PM
Tom   Bill, Actually I was referring to the switch t...   Oct 9 2014, 02:03 PM
Grump   Bill, Actually I was referring to the switch ...   Oct 9 2014, 03:58 PM
Tom   Bill, I left out that lights M1, M4 for the le...   Oct 10 2014, 02:02 AM
etcmss   attached is the Bowlsby link to front light wiring...   Oct 10 2014, 05:30 AM
Grump   Back to troubleshooting after 2 days of other obli...   Oct 12 2014, 01:25 PM
Tom   Bill, Yes, there should be continuity between ...   Oct 12 2014, 01:42 PM
Grump   Bill, Yes, there should be continuity between...   Oct 12 2014, 03:36 PM
Tom   Bill, The headlights are not hooked up? Well,...   Oct 13 2014, 05:22 AM
Grump   Progress, of sorts. I found 2 wires that were reve...   Oct 14 2014, 05:10 PM
Grump   As mentioned earlier, there are more than 30 pages...   Oct 22 2014, 03:33 PM
BeatNavy   As mentioned earlier, there are more than 30 page...   Oct 22 2014, 03:37 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 06:19 AM