Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Parking Lights Say on Left Side, 3 fuses fell out when reaching for hood release
Tom
post Oct 12 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Bill,
Yes, there should be continuity between 30 and 30b. The wire that now goes to 30b and on to fuse 5 is wrong. The wire that goes from the headlight switch to fuse 5 should be coming from 58L. Did you understand my post on reading the prints? I can give you a call and coach you if needed, just let me know., and PM me your number. That headlight switch contact 30b goes to the headlight motors. What wire currently goes to the contact 58L? I think that is where your problem lies. Find it and put it on 30b and the wire currently on 30b to 58L and try that.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grump
post Oct 12 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 5,930

QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 12 2014, 03:42 PM) *

Bill,
Yes, there should be continuity between 30 and 30b. The wire that now goes to 30b and on to fuse 5 is wrong. The wire that goes from the headlight switch to fuse 5 should be coming from 58L. Did you understand my post on reading the prints? I can give you a call and coach you if needed, just let me know., and PM me your number. That headlight switch contact 30b goes to the headlight motors. What wire currently goes to the contact 58L? I think that is where your problem lies. Find it and put it on 30b and the wire currently on 30b to 58L and try that.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to learn how to read this diagram. My wiring just doesn't follow it. I have a grey wire from 58L to fuse 5, thats ok except it should be gry/blk. This black/blue from 30b to fuse 5 doesn't show but it has been there and all was working except headlights, which I haven't hooked up yet. I don't have a grn/blk that should go to 30b.

I disconnected the wire and I still have turn and flashers, just no parking. My Euro parking lights work on the right side but not on the left. I don't need these but I would like all to be working as designed.

If there is continuity as you say between 30 and 30b, my switch is not the problem. Looks like I'll have to be satisfied with leaving this wire disconnected and see what happens when I hook up the headlights. I may need to run a wire from 30b to the headlight relays.

What my thick head can't understand is, that all was working fine as it was and now this wire is causing the left side parking light to remain on. There has to be a cause other than it just doesn't belong there.

This wire had the same connections as the rest of the factory wiring. It was run in the bundle which contains the wires for the hot side of the fuse panel. It was in the middle of this bundle, was stitched and wrapped with the others. If added, I doubt if someone would go to this trouble to disguise it. Maybe it belongs elsewhere. Hopefully it will all get sorted out. Regards.. Bill

+Quote Post
Tom
post Oct 13 2014, 05:22 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Bill,
The headlights are not hooked up? Well, with 30b having no wire going to the headlight motors, the headlights will not close after being on.
It looks more and more like someone had done some replacing/rewiring in this area and got things hooked back up incorrectly.
The headlight switch does have a black/blue. It should run from 56 of the headlight switch to 15 of the fog light switch. The Haynes manual doesn't show this wire, but the print I posted here does.
I just checked the print in the Haynes manual. It does not even have a fog light switch. ???
At this point, I would pick what information you need from the print I sent you, it is different from the Haynes manual, and wire up your headlight switch, parking light switch, and fog light switch following those and see what works or doesn't work.
I know this brings up the question of how it worked before if you are seeing mis- wired switches, etc. I sure don't know what to tell you there.
Tom
+Quote Post
Grump
post Oct 14 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #24

Progress, of sorts. I found 2 wires that were reversed. After a lot of tracing, realized that the wiring for fuse 5 and 7 were switched.

All circuits were working under this state except for the parking lights, now, at least. the left side marker lights do not stay on. The marker lights for either side do not come on at all now. More tracing to do on this. Parking, hazard, turn, all work.

Also the wire on 30b of the headlight switch was not the correct one. The correct one, (blk/grn), was on the terminal designated for a black wire. These wires, under cursory inspection, look similar, mild soap showed their colors. The headlights should work when I get around to hooking them up (I'm not looking forward to the adjusting part).

I'll probably never find out what caused the left side markers to come on after bumping the fuses. What I suspect is that #5 fuse wasn't making contact until I bumped it or put it back in, that could of been one of the fuses I knocked out. I do have the fuse cover and I'm sure to keep it on from here on out. Bill
+Quote Post
Grump
post Oct 22 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #25

As mentioned earlier, there are more than 30 pages of electrical problems. What is missing is the solution to most of these problems. Most of the problems were resolved by one or more of the recommendations by members I would assume, without the originator posting the fix.

I was very happy that my electrical glitch was resolved. I didn't post the fix, so here it is, better late than never.

I don't know what the cause of the original problem was. What I do know is that it's all good now and here is what I done, one of these was the culprit.

Received good diagram from Jeff. Went to Staples and had it blown up and laminated. Got dry marker so I could write and draw on it. Tom gave good advice on how to read the diagram and trace circuits.

I found headlight had 2 wires reversed, fuse 5 and 7 wires were reversed. I replaced all fuses, cleaned fuse block, wire brushed all grounds. Checked bulbs.

Everything works, even the Euro parking lights. Most circuits worked before, now they all work as they should.

Thanks to all who posted to thread.. Bill

+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 22 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #26

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Grump @ Oct 22 2014, 05:33 PM) *

As mentioned earlier, there are more than 30 pages of electrical problems. What is missing is the solution to most of these problems. Most of the problems were resolved by one or more of the recommendations by members I would assume, without the originator posting the fix.

I was very happy that my electrical glitch was resolved. I didn't post the fix, so here it is, better late than never.

I don't know what the cause of the original problem was. What I do know is that it's all good now and here is what I done, one of these was the culprit.

Received good diagram from Jeff. Went to Staples and had it blown up and laminated. Got dry marker so I could write and draw on it. Tom gave good advice on how to read the diagram and trace circuits.

I found headlight had 2 wires reversed, fuse 5 and 7 wires were reversed. I replaced all fuses, cleaned fuse block, wire brushed all grounds. Checked bulbs.

Everything works, even the Euro parking lights. Most circuits worked before, now they all work as they should.

Thanks to all who posted to thread.. Bill

Nice job, Bill! Glad to hear it's fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:37 AM