Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Truck lid and Targa top clearance
57lincolnman
post Oct 11 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

I had a similar problem that I couldn't get the front clips (the white plastic ones) to align properly and get the trunk lid to close. Remember these cars are unibody and any body damage over the years could cause an alignment issue with any of these body panels. The tolerances are so tight that everything must fit just perfectly. Using the factory body measurements, I learned my 914 is off by about 3/8" from left to right at the rear trunk firewall. I just lay my top in carefully latching it down only at the rear. I put some rubber cushioning material on the trunk ribs and at the corners in the trunk and the tops sits in there just fine. I recently did the Tale of the Dragon with the top like that and didn't have any movement at all. Now could we just solve the top leak at the side window and the windshield frame?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 20 2022, 10:15 AM
Post #22

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Old thread with some good info.

When I bought my 914, the top had been rubbed bad enough over time it wore away the gel coating where the rear trunk rib rubbed. I picked up another top from @914Werke and now don't want the same thing to happen again.

I also have all new top storage hardware and can tell, the trunk lid rubs or pushed down on the top very slightly. I'm using a towel for now.

Anyone have any tricks to solve this rubbing?

Older picture when I started assembly after paint. Everything is new and I don't see any adjustment for the front clips unless holes are elongated.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post May 22 2022, 02:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

My car too has the same problem, but it is not a reference... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

That being said, there was a post talking about the height of the top window rubber seal. I believe I have noticed that the seam sealer around the strut mount/inner fender area had been generously applied and the window seal was actually touching the seam sealer. You might want to validate if the roof is only supported by the four points and no other area.

That's all I got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .

Keep us posted.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 22 2022, 02:47 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 8 2014, 12:32 PM) *

did you have the top in the trunk the right direction? Targa latches inside the cups, lip edge in the white holders and rear held down with the rubber holders?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that's what the owners manual indicates.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:48 AM