Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Ignition Switch
SixerJ
post Oct 22 2014, 03:50 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Thanks for the pictures, wow, even a NOS sticker, where can I buy one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif), oh and a dash, and a column, and a clam shell, and a.......

I guessed from pictures the AA repro clamshell was nasty, but it's nice to have it confirmed and not me just trying to see the worst in an AA part

Presumably to make a 6 repro, you would start with a LWB 911 shell and trim it down until the back is flat / you have lost the ears if I can call them that? You would also lose the captive clitch nuts I think as there is a pair in the ears....trying to remember where they are from the 911 resto days

Does anyone know of any good threads on how to build a column and clam shell etc

Talking about becoming obsessive, I'm starting to really, really dislike the PO of my -6 and what he did to it. If you could execute for criminal acts against a car, he would be on the top of my Kill Bill style Death list #1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/parry.gif) (closest I could find to a 'Japan's finest steel' emoticon)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 22 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Oct 22 2014, 02:50 PM) *
Presumably to make a 6 repro, you would start with a LWB 911 shell and trim it down until the back is flat / you have lost the ears if I can call them that? You would also lose the captive clitch nuts I think as there is a pair in the ears....trying to remember where they are from the 911 resto days

911 clamshells are a pretty good fit, they do require some trimming on the back to fit but it wasn't that hard to do.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Oct 24 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #23

Great thread, thank you.

It's prompted me to post a WTB, I should try and gather the genuine parts before I resort to conversion route. After all this is for a genuine -6 that the PO ruined and sold off when he built it into a race car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 26 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Got my switch modified by the machine shop. They took just a little too much off, but it's not going to make a difference in the installation. Only I will know. Well, and now all of you. But no one else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now to pull the tumblers and rekey it to my NOS key. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Nov 27 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,469

I have never been sucessful in rekeying a 911 ignition switch. I'm not sure it was ever ment to be rekeyed. Doors, trunks and glove boxes however, have been streight forward.

David
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Nov 28 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 26 2014, 09:41 PM) *

Got my switch modified by the machine shop. They took just a little too much off, but it's not going to make a difference in the installation. Only I will know. Well, and now all of you. But no one else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now to pull the tumblers and rekey it to my NOS key. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Very cool, looks like they did a great job. I looked at my ignition and good door handles (all will be now odd) and decided that the ignition looked a PITA to re key in comparison to the other locks

That said I only have to do the door handles as I will have no trunk, glove box and the hood pull will probably be used for the gas strut headlight kit. If I had all matching locks apart from the ignition I would be looking closely at it!

Please post the steps required to for rekeying
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 30 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #27

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 27 2014, 09:13 AM) *

I have never been sucessful in rekeying a 911 ignition switch. I'm not sure it was ever ment to be rekeyed. Doors, trunks and glove boxes however, have been streight forward.

David

I did mine. There was a roll pin driven into a blind hole. I had to drill a secondary hole in order to get the roll pin out. After that fiasco, it was straight forward.

I started out with the ignition switch and column switches and clamshells from a 1973 911.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 30 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(John @ Nov 30 2014, 09:19 PM) *

David

I did mine. There was a roll pin driven into a blind hole. I had to drill a secondary hole in order to get the roll pin out. After that fiasco, it was straight forward.

I started out with the ignition switch and column switches and clamshells from a 1973 911.

Good info. Thanks. I want mine to have the same key for all the locks. Just one more job for scatty to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 4 2014, 09:10 PM
Post #29

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2014, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Nov 30 2014, 09:19 PM) *

David

Good info. Thanks. I want mine to have the same key for all the locks. Just one more job for scatty to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mine is the same key for all locks (except the glove box and the front trunk) Those two are still only on the RED key.

+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Apr 15 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,459

Would anyone know where a good place to start to locate the parts to do this conversion such as the 911 steering column and clam shell?

Jeff B
+Quote Post
naro914
post Apr 15 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #31

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

I went a different route for the column...I wanted to keep it 914 looking, so we welded the key hole section shut, did a little 'body work' on it to smooth it out, paint...done. I may even have another one that we did (though I don't know were it is). I was going to offer them for sale, but there was no interest at the time.

Oh, and I'm not OCD about the key - I cut the steering lock mechanism right off....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Apr 15 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,459

If I understand your post correctly you simply removed the ignition switch from the steering column and relocated it to the left side on the dash. In doing that you forfeit the steering wheel locking feature but that doesn’t seem like that big of deal to me.

I’m not sure what part you were going to sell though. Do you have any other pictures or a more detailed procedure that you followed to do this conversion?

Jeff B
+Quote Post
naro914
post Apr 15 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #33

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Apr 15 2015, 04:47 PM) *

I’m not sure what part you were going to sell though. Do you have any other pictures or a more detailed procedure that you followed to do this conversion?

Jeff B

Really, we were just selling the column that's 'filled in'. Welding is a bit of a bitch because it's a cast piece, and when you look inside, it wasn't as easy as it looked...

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:37 PM