Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Speedo flutters, Speedometer issue
stuartgto
post Oct 12 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,777
Region Association: None

Reattached the speedo/odometer 914/6 unit after odometer was fixed at PA Speedo. Now the speedometer needle flutters. It did not before being pulled to have the non-functioning odometer fixed. Speedo cable rotates when car is moving, but also can be moved with pliers when not attached to gauge. Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Oct 12 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You need a new speedo cable, or the little gear on the transmission end. Best way to test the cable is to disconnect from the transmission and hook a variable speed, reversible drill to it. Run at different speeds and see if the needle is stable.
+Quote Post
stuartgto
post Oct 20 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the help. After testing the cable, I thought it was the cable. But after removing and replacing the cable, the needle still flutters. The fluttering is worse at low speeds but is reduced at higher speeds. Please explain about the gear that might need replacing. What does replacing one entail? Thank you
+Quote Post
larryM
post Oct 24 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(stuartgto @ Oct 20 2014, 10:29 PM) *

After testing the cable, I thought it was the cable. But after removing and replacing the cable, the needle still flutters. The fluttering is worse at low speeds but is reduced at higher speeds.

X2 - had same problem with unit "fixed" by NorthHollwood - sent it back twice, at which point Helmut became very surly;

changed cables etc - never resolved

got another unit, sent to PAS - it works fine

there is no solution - seek it diligently

+Quote Post
fixer34
post Oct 24 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I believe the gear is mounted inside the right angle 'thumb' at the rear of the transmission, where the other end of the speedo cable connects. (It's been a long time since I had that area apart..)
This is where the drill test comes in. Hook it up to the speedo cable end where you take it off the trans. You might have to make up an adapter. Run the drill at a steady speed (or several speeds) and have someone watch the needle.
If it's steady at all speeds, then you're probably looking at something in the gear/transmission drive.
If it still fluctuates, then something didn't go back together properly on the rebuild (since you have a new cable installed).
+Quote Post
stuartgto
post Nov 5 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #6

In case anyone is interested, I bought a new cable from Pelican Parts, installed it and the speedo still fluttered. I took the speedo back to PAS and they tested it again and said it was OK. I also took my old cable and they said it was no good. They gave me a loaner speedo to test in my car and it also fluttered. Bottom line, the cable is defective. It is manufactured by Gemo. So now I am looking for a cable that is not made by Gemo. Is this a common issue with Gemo cables or is it a fluke? Anyone have a suggestion for a reliable cable and where I can get it?

Thanks
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 6 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

IME, cables can be damaged during installation, or while working under the dash, or simply developing a kink or bend while in place (say, someone kicks it, ir it gets forced forward or back). I'd check that before buying a cable. Gemo may be all that's out there, and I've had no problems with the dozen or so I've installed over the years.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Nov 6 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I kinked mine working under the dash and then it started to flutter and make a clicking sound. I disconnected the cable from the speed and can still hear a slight clicking sound so I'm assuming I need a new cable also :-(
+Quote Post
stuartgto
post Nov 9 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #9

I don't think I damaged it while installing it, but I'll try again. The grommets though are a challenge.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:27 AM