Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dreaming, Thinking about starting down the 6 path
Mblizzard
post Oct 15 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Not something that will ever happen but I dream of more power. The FI 2056 is fun but I just remember my old 2.0 seeming to have so much more go. It was a 71 with FI and some head work and balancing but that was all. I just remember it pulling so strong from low RPM to redline. But I just don't get that same feeling from this build.

Don't get me wrong it runs well and pulls away from many modern cars with ease. But in my mind I think it should have more punch. So I was thinking a 6 conversion was a possibility. Will keep the 2056 so I would be looking for a donor engine and all that entails.

Because I am dreaming I was wondering if people had some estimates of costs, things to look out for, and suggestions of the best motor to go after?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Oct 15 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,080

Mike......... First is more power.......Then how to transfer all that power to the road. Then how to stop better with all that power........than beefing up all the weak links to handle all that power. I fully understand though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Oct 15 2014, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd be happy with a nice 2.7 but I've heard great things about 3.0 & 3.2's. I suppose once you get the more power bug, you'll want more! About your 2056 vs. 2.0L, did you have port work done on your 2.0L heads? I *think* I remember that you had HAM rebuild the heads on your 2056??? I bought a set of his
RS+ heads and he mentions that the port shape and design of this head will get you better low to mid torque. Having run out of $$ and being a bit lazy, I haven't gotten that 2056 built yet. I'm hoping that these heads plus the Tangerine header, I'll feel a nice low to mid boost when I get it built. Good luck with the dreaming!
+Quote Post
sb914
post Oct 15 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2014, 03:44 PM) *

Not something that will ever happen but I dream of more power. The FI 2056 is fun but I just remember my old 2.0 seeming to have so much more go. It was a 71 with FI and some head work and balancing but that was all. I just remember it pulling so strong from low RPM to redline. But I just don't get that same feeling from this build.

Don't get me wrong it runs well and pulls away from many modern cars with ease. But in my mind I think it should have more punch. So I was thinking a 6 conversion was a possibility. Will keep the 2056 so I would be looking for a donor engine and all that entails.

Because I am dreaming I was wondering if people had some estimates of costs, things to look out for, and suggestions of the best motor to go after?

Want power ?Dream big ,sbc v8 you will get planted in your seat.pretty much no one can touch you.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 15 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

A water cooled conversion is a lot more work and not for the faint of heart. Quickest way to get a 6 is to throw an air cooled 6 in it. More support will be available when doing an AC 6, as well. Water cooled SBC's are fairly well documented and supported so not as many hiccups as with some other conversions. Subaru conversions are gaining in popularity so support should grow as well.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 15 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Will stick with the air cooled options but those V8s are something.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

A air-cooled Porsche /6 conversion will set you back $10k-$15k if you do most of the work yourself.

Even if you can source a smaller /6 engine, like mentioned above the parts add up quickly.

Mine cost around $15k some 10 years ago and i got the engine, transmission and exhaust for a steal back then.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dw914six
post Oct 15 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,902
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2014, 02:44 PM) *

First, your 2.0 probably did go faster...we all weighed a lot less back in the day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Get a true bad boy 6 and live your dream Mike. You only live once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 15 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4691175346.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 15 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Your best bet is to do what I am doing. Buy your parts slowly over time when deals pop up, and most importantly, never - ever add up what you have spent. I have found it to be quite affordable that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Oct 15 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #11

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

I pulled over 60 studs from my 2.7 case this weekend. That did not include the expensive head studs, just perimeter and misc.

Said to myself, not alot of play cash this month. I will just go get some studs.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

John
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 15 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 15 2014, 08:15 PM) *

Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 15 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Sell more shit
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 15 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 15 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Interesting but if it needs an oil pump that has to have other issues to go with the 151k on the car.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Oct 15 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #15

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

You too?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif)

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 15 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Understanding the lust for power is easy- after 8 big block musclecars I've gotten used to frying tires at will. This will be a different project for me because these cars are totally different. The handling is miles beyond any of my stock rides back in the day, not to mention the smiles per gallon. The dollar figure in the end was the make or break for me. I'd recommend getting a dollar amount in mind, what you'd pay for all that you'd want then put together and realistic estimate of costs and compare the two. Then proceed with that goal in mind but be prepared to put out more cash when needed. In the end if done right, you'll have what you want for the price you're comfortable with. Then DRIVE THE DAMN THING!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 15 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have a whole new respect for the 914 2.0 cars since driving Sandy's to the RRC this years. You have to know when driving the Alien I don't even have to think about gear changes. Traction? ya.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) but more than once I pulled out to pass and had to rethink my choices. From which gear to the distance I needed to pass. Traction, braking and cornering were non-issues. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Driving a 4 cylinder 914 is a true driving experience. Driving the Alien is a heart pounding emotional roller coaster where you go from grinning to shear terror when you start to throttle steer through a corner. Which one is more fun? BOTH! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 15 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #18

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2014, 08:56 PM) *

A air-cooled Porsche /6 conversion will set you back $10k-$15k if you do most of the work yourself.

Even if you can source a smaller /6 engine, like mentioned above the parts add up quickly.

Mine cost around $15k some 10 years ago and i got the engine, transmission and exhaust for a steal back then.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

This!

Better off buying a Conversion done and keeping your existing car.

I could do a car cheap as I have 90% of the parts and that is why I toyed around with converting the Alaska Appearance Group car. But it is much better & easier to buy an existing Conversion. One like kconway's was perfect but you have to ready to jump - I wish I had gotten that one!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 15 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

buy someone else's conversion car. It will cost the same as doing the conversion yourself and you will have 2 cars instead of 1 car and a bunch of parts. Plus immediate gratification vs the typical 3 year build.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 15 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

I just finished (well...nothing is ever finished) my 3.0L conversion for $8700 and 6 months of hard but very satisfying work. A rather low price that I cheated by stealing a motor out of a project 911.... but it's very much possible. I'm still getting use to it but boy do I love the power in 2nd and 3rd gear!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:56 PM