Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to a 914-6, I am not a mechanic... Am I crazy....?
Beeliner
post Oct 21 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

I purchased a 1975 914 that is very original, except for the change of color.

This is my fifth one. I bought three new in the seventies, and two recently.

The problem is that I will be mostly supplying the money, and not the expertise... My mechanic is factory trained and was drooling over the opportunity. He just finished a Boxster rebuild over the weekend.

Here is a picture of the car. It recently had a rustectomy and new paint. The engine and car is now stock all the way, original FI is still there.

It is a DD.

I know the car will have to be strengthened, sway bars added, and all of that...

But is this an insane project when one is not a mechanic? I don't want flared fenders, so no major exterior cosmetics are to be done... Is $9k for motor and parts reasonable? My mechanic wants to rebuild the engine, so one needing work is what we are looking for.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 21 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

It all depends on how much money you have! To do it right you are talking between $12k-$20k
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 21 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I doubt that you can do a conversion for $9000 if a six cylinder engine needs rebuilding. There are several threads on conversion parts that are needed and current expected prices.

It is a fun and rewarding project to undertake, but not inexpensive. On my conversion, the engine rebuild alone was over $12,000 when it was finished (though it was done as properly as it can be without shortcuts). Buying a converted -6 that someone else built is the most economical choice, but you miss the fun!
+Quote Post
earossi
post Oct 21 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,878

Converting to a six is not a $9000 project. I know because I am in the middle of doing one. I sourced a 3.2 motor with 75k miles on it......for $7500. If I were to rebuild it, I could easily spend another $10k on the motor alone. Then there are the conversion "accessories". An oil tank for $800, a front engine mount, chassis stiffening to handle the torque, headers will cost you $700 or much more if you insist on heat exchangers.

You would stand some chance of doing such a project.....if your budget is twice what you have stated. As George suggested, the most cost effective way to do such a project is to purchase a project that has already been completed.

Sorry to throw water on your desire to do a conversion.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 21 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #5

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Oct 21 2014, 03:54 PM) *

I purchased a 1975 914 that is very original, except for the change of color.

This is my fifth one.My mechanic wants to rebuild the engine, so one needing work is what we are looking for.

I try to spend only about $500 per month. It has been more than two years, but I intend to repaint and reweld as well. I dropped 7 grand on the engine and 911 suspension, You didn't mention the 5 lug conversion that seems a logical partner. That adds cost. If the mechanic "wants" to rebuild an engine, perhaps he will give you a deal on the chance to fulfill that dream. MAybe a discount or ceiling price less parts.

Good luck. I can hardly wait to get mine back on the ground with engine. I "want" to weld an oil tank, so there are so many motivations besides money. If you stretch it out you trade something else for the six.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 21 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

I had zero car experience before I bought my 914. Now I've completed a 914-6 conversion all by myself (well my dad helped too on some aspects). There are countless threads and articles full of advice and previously converted cars on 914world and Pelican that document what you need to do.

It is fun and rewarding to build and pure bliss to drive everyday to work. If you can resolve to the fact that it will cost 10k-20k and are okay with that - then it's a no brainer. Also factor in time - it takes some people months and some years...just depends on your life.

Here's my cost thread....ignoring my really cheap motor and carbs: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=242910&hl=
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 21 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Do your homework.... It's a slippery slope....
Compare the motor with the car it came out of. You should at a minimum, match the brakes to the motor as well as suspension and tires. My first six conversion in a 914 was a 2.7. I also did a 5 lug conversion and went with bigger brakes at the same time. I still had throttle induced over-steer from the motor so i flared the rear fenders for bigger tires. I was very happy with the setup, but the 2.7 was more expensive to overhaul than a 3.2 from a wrecking yard, so i upgraded to a 3.2. For the street I was not happy with the 914/901 gearing with the 3.2, so i replaced the 914 trans with a 915 trans that matched my motor. I will probably upgrade to a 3.6 next, but at least all the other components should be fine.
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Oct 21 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

It is always better to throw water while the fire is still small....

I was thinking parts budget of $9,000. Labor additional...

But parts sound as if they are well north of $9k, correct?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 21 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

$9K in parts can be done but it's a lot of scrounging. It's also a big job so the labour time will be large. Also some parts may seem like a bargain, but are not the best solution. You gets what you pays for.
Then there's the other stuff...brakes, 5 bolt conversion, suspension.... cost creeps up fast.
I'm at least $10+K in (don't really want to add up the bills) and I do everything myself, trade parts, etc. and I still have to buy at least $1000 worth of hoses etc

My bet getting someone else to turn wrenches you will be damn close to $20K
If you're still interested I'd do a lot of research before you jump in.

BTW the cheapest and fastest route is to sell your /4 and buy a /6 conversion that has already been done and sorted.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 21 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That cars looks nice. I would just backdate the bumpers and drive it if the engine is good. Then I would collect parts as you can afford them and once you have most do the conversion.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 21 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are dozens of threads where too much was undertaken all at once and the car has rusted to the jack stands.

I recommend starting with weekend projects: 914 specific wheels and sticky tires. add the sway bars. find and install the 5 lug. Nicer stereo or fresh rubber or other little things that make the car a better DD.
Then when there's nothing left and you've met some people test drive a -6. Decide if you need the extra power to enjoy the car. Then decide if you REALLY need it to be a Porsche -6 because other swaps are 2x-5x cheaper to do.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 21 2014, 08:32 PM) *

Then decide if you REALLY need it to be a Porsche -6 because other swaps are 2x-5x cheaper to do.

Cheaper, but far more work. Six conversions are well documented and plenty of ready to run parts out there.

I ended up with a 2.4 six while ago. A while later I picked up an oil tank (two actually). More recently I've collected most of the parts for the steering column conversion. Next will be 911 axle components for a 'true' five lug conversion. The point is that I agree with the others. I still drive my car almost every day, but I have a pile of parts ready to go. I won't pull the car off the road until I have everything ready to go. Otherwise it'll end up on jackstands like my other two cars.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 21 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Get rid of those bumpers first. Then do a five lug conversion. THEN think about the six conversion….IMHO
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 21 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Sell yours and buy one that is done. At least while you still can.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Oct 21 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Yeh no disrespect to all you /6 guys who built these streetlegal
Pure race type cars

But the logical standpoint for a person without the " 914 sickness

Is to buy a already running and driveing , 6 2.7 crackle high revver

Or larger displacement . I would think

So it spares you all the labor cost
Car on jack stand time
And you just add gas and turn the key

This is how I got my 1.7 car
Only thing not functional was the horn.

I'm betting it would be better and faster and I know way cheaper to sell the car and buy a driving 6 .

Only con is you don't know the quality or workman ship that went into it.
But inspect thoroughly.

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 22 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #17

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

WOW!!

$1000 for wiring a /6 into a /4 harness ... the hourly rate must be in the $500+ area.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 22 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 22 2014, 11:12 AM) *

WOW!!

$1000 for wiring a /6 into a /4 harness ... the hourly rate must be in the $500+ area.

I'm doing a harness and it's way more than a couple hours work if you're doing a nice job...it does say approximate. I'm guessing anything you think is high in Mark's estimate will be used for the unexpected when you're in there. I think he's close to a no surprises estimate with that.

If paying for a /6 I would only consider a 3.0 or 3.2, for you I'd go with the 3.2 with stock injection. A smaller /6 can be cheaper but they have their pitfalls, I'd want one with a known history.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 22 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #19

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

First of all, yes you are crazy. But you like 914s, so that was already evident. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Next, note that not all of the "conversion stuff" has to be done in every instance. For example, the small-displacement and lower-powered Sixes may not need an oil cooler setup, which takes a lot of $$ out of the parts budget. The five-lug setup is not a requirement, though it is awfully nice to have. A chassis in good shape should not need additional strengthening if the power isn't hugely increased. A local shop can probably make decent headers for not much $$, which drops the heat exchanger cost out of it. And so on.

I know of a car that was done for a total parts budget of $7000. It's still a cool driver, but it is not "all that it could be". Some of the improvements could be made later on after the car is driving. Note that this was an exceptional case, though. The engine in particular was acquired quite cheaply (an original Six motor or a 2.0 911T motor for $1500 is a screaming deal!), but the rest of the parts that were used were bought for the then-current going rates.

Still, if I were going to do a conversion, I'd be doing a lot of the "extras". And I'd be paying way over $7K for the parts.

--DD
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 22 2014, 11:26 AM
Post #20

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I have a 2.2L under a workbench here that supposedly has S cams, belongs to a customer in NJ.
He's looking to sell it.
Needs induction, ignition and exhaust.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:57 AM