Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help me stop the insanity!
mr2by4
post Oct 22 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,439
Region Association: Southwest Region

So I have a new to me 1971 914 that I need to pull and rebuild or replace. I have a longblock on its way to me but I was thinking about going to side shift while the motor is out. Seems reasonable right.
While shopping for a transmission I came across a 2 liter out of a 914-6 that is mostly complete and I can get for a decent price, with a transmission and carbs.
While checking on what it should cost, I found a period correct 2.4 with MFI.
I was on a slippery slope. So I need some advice.
Is the side shifter worth the effort (cost me about $650 in parts to get it done)?
Is a 2 liter 6 that much cooler if I don't do 5 lug conversion etc than a 1911 with a decent cam and a good tune?
If I am going to get stupid, why not do a Subaru motor and just be done with it?
I have had fast cars, and that is not what this is about. I am not rich, but can afford to do any of the conversions I propose.
My intention Is to have fun wrenching on the car and riving it on weekends. I do enjoy Porsches and love the sound of a flat six.
I know hat these are dumb questions to which there are no right answers, but I what I need is therapy and some sound advice. D
o I swap the tranny?
Should I just drive the 1911 and be happy?
Is a 6 $6,000 cooler than a 4?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:31 PM