Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to wrap the 914-6, Colors of wrap suggestions?
avidfanjpl
post Oct 24 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #1

914 Hemophiliac

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, hell. Every time I think of selling the 914-6 that THOMAS built and I finished, I change my damn mind.

I also had my almost completely restored 1987 Carrera posted for a couple of weeks and took that off too.

It isn't about the money. I have that disease that Steve Gaglione transmitted via an autocross and some Rolling Rocks in 1976. That was all she wrote. Damn that guy! I will be looking for a 1975 911S and a 1973 914 2.0 to do in the spring. The S will be a Carrera RS tribute in lime green or yellow (Andy color infection), and the 914, well, who knows, but that 73 2.0 Bahia Red I had is talking to me from the grave or St. Louis, I can't tell which as I could never find it again after selling it in 1988 there. The guy passed in 1999 and the address has a new family there since 2000.

Now I want to wrap the track car in a single color with door circles in white and 2 - 12 inch White Pearl Stripes.

Looking at the wrapper's 3M book, I saw a beautiful Red, a Lime Green, A Medium kind of Green, and Tangerine Orange, but I want a pearl finish. Not sure what to do, but has anyone here wrapped a 914 lately? Any pics would help. No decals other than maybe NARP or 914World discs I got a few years ago, but I really want some suggestions, please.

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl

ps - Tommy Trischler and Bruce Stone, mom passed away in June and I am just getting back to a reasonable life with a new job in Capistrano, and I early retired out last August, took 4 months off and started the new gig in January. I have been invisible here for 22 months. Good to finally be back. Time to see you both for lunch in the Carrera soon! Moving to Capistrano next spring.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 24 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Damn you! I love that Carrera. That is one of my other must haves, an '87-'89 coupe.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 25 2014, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I thought you meant Wraps!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 25 2014, 07:07 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I've always wondered about doing a wrap on a 914 copying the GT1 or any of the modern race car styles.

Like this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911..._911_gt1_96.jpg
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 25 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Or this
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&...pmcc=&pmnc=
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Nov 7 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #6

914 Hemophiliac

TC!

Hey Man!

I am coming down soon to see Steve and Janie!

Maybe we should grab your peeps and really go either to Daytona or Sebring?

I have absolutely nothing but work on the Avidfanjpl agenda for the foreseeable future, and I can get there on points. I have to call Steve tonight when I get off this plane through PHX and land in Orange County.

So much has changed for the better since I saw you 2 years ago or so, but I still have the THOMAS 914-6 wonder, and the Carrera is 7K from being show-ready in PCA Street class, or so my detailer tells me.

I just write the checks since work eats me alive 6 days a week.

Hay is growing and the sun is up. Then I am done.

I will get your cell from Steve if that is OK to call?

Johnny Carrera

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 25 2014, 04:51 AM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Nov 7 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #7

914 Hemophiliac

TC!

Hey Man!

I am coming down soon to see Steve and Janie!

Maybe we should grab your peeps and really go either to Daytona or Sebring?

I have absolutely nothing but work on the Avidfanjpl agenda for the foreseeable future, and I can get there on points. I have to call Steve tonight when I get off this plane through PHX and land in Orange County.

So much has changed for the better since I saw you 2 years ago or so, but I still have the THOMAS 914-6 wonder, and the Carrera is 7K from being show-ready in PCA Street class, or so my detailer tells me.

I just write the checks since work eats me alive 6 days a week.

Hay is growing and the sun is up. Then I am done.

I will get your cell from Steve if that is OK to call?

Johnny Carrera

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 25 2014, 04:51 AM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 8 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #8

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 24 2014, 11:47 PM) *

I have that disease that Steve Gaglione transmitted via an autocross and some Rolling Rocks in 1976. That was all she wrote. Damn that guy!

That SOB gave me that in the 70's too! I might have to put an extra bend in the SS Fuel Lines I just got him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Yeah, grab my Number from Steve. I haven't seen him in a while - he works more now that he is Retired than he ever did before
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Nov 8 2014, 08:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 24 2014, 08:47 PM) *

Well, hell. Every time I think of selling the 914-6 that THOMAS built and I finished, I change my damn mind.

I also had my almost completely restored 1987 Carrera posted for a couple of weeks and took that off too.

It isn't about the money. I have that disease that Steve Gaglione transmitted via an autocross and some Rolling Rocks in 1976. That was all she wrote. Damn that guy! I will be looking for a 1975 911S and a 1973 914 2.0 to do in the spring. The S will be a Carrera RS tribute in lime green or yellow (Andy color infection), and the 914, well, who knows, but that 73 2.0 Bahia Red I had is talking to me from the grave or St. Louis, I can't tell which as I could never find it again after selling it in 1988 there. The guy passed in 1999 and the address has a new family there since 2000.

Now I want to wrap the track car in a single color with door circles in white and 2 - 12 inch White Pearl Stripes.

Looking at the wrapper's 3M book, I saw a beautiful Red, a Lime Green, A Medium kind of Green, and Tangerine Orange, but I want a pearl finish. Not sure what to do, but has anyone here wrapped a 914 lately? Any pics would help. No decals other than maybe NARP or 914World discs I got a few years ago, but I really want some suggestions, please.

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl

ps - Tommy Trischler and Bruce Stone, mom passed away in June and I am just getting back to a reasonable life with a new job in Capistrano, and I early retired out last August, took 4 months off and started the new gig in January. I have been invisible here for 22 months. Good to finally be back. Time to see you both for lunch in the Carrera soon! Moving to Capistrano next spring.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

John,
Super clean teener build. Didn't do a search, is there a build thread?

Dave
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Nov 9 2014, 03:56 AM
Post #10

914 Hemophiliac

Hey Dave,

Thomas the German repatriot did about 75% of the work, all the tough stuff, about 4 years ago, and he promptly sold it to Jonathan at GPR in Santa Maria. He decided to sell it to me after he did the wild and crazy cut down windshield, and I took the car and all the parts and spent time finishing it. Took much longer than thought, and I just spent $1,100 this past week on a pile of finishing touches before the wrap. When she done, she be bitchin, but then the wrap.

I now will wait on the wrap until after Christmas, because I will go 12 laps at the December AX in OC then wrap her.

No sense in getting a jillion stones off the hot Hankook slicksup against a new wrap.

Still not sure on the wrap, but I have some time.

Work travel is now at 75% but I am enjoying the Hotel Living lifestyle in 5 stars. Post-retirement job is better than the old one I had for 12.5 years

DC, then NYC, then DC and NO I never had the time to do a build thread. Usually I just post a pic of the results.

Color, color, color?
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 9 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,787

After going to some show in Vegas this past week, my mechanic seen a car in chrome wrap, and so I am planning on doing the mid section of the fiberglass bumpers in chrome wrap, as a back handed way to looking like original.

Also was telling me about some stuff that normally you put over wiring that is a plastic cover, but this looks like mesh from what he was telling me??
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Nov 15 2014, 12:21 AM
Post #12

914 Hemophiliac

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 9 2014, 06:21 AM) *

After going to some show in Vegas this past week, my mechanic seen a car in chrome wrap, and so I am planning on doing the mid section of the fiberglass bumpers in chrome wrap, as a back handed way to looking like original.

Also was telling me about some stuff that normally you put over wiring that is a plastic cover, but this looks like mesh from what he was telling me??

I have seen gold and silver wraps. Not for me. I want a color.

Tangerine will probably be the deal with big White Stripes and discs on the doors.

Interior had another 550 in work to it this week.

It comes home for the Dec OC AX, then tight wrap to all the green/black!

Hope that damn skin stays put after install................................
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 15 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 9 2014, 07:21 AM) *

I was planning on trying this exact idea!!
I already have all black front & rear FG bumpers.
Then I wanted to get the chrome vinyl wrap and do the center sections for that stock look.
I had even done a bit of research and had found this:

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/flexible-chro...th-air-release/

Let me know how it goes and what product you end up using.
I was hoping to do my front air dam &hood leading edge with the protective film too.
+Quote Post
griffindoug
post Nov 15 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,539
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 15 2014, 12:57 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 9 2014, 07:21 AM) *

I was planning on trying this exact idea!!
I already have all black front & rear FG bumpers.
Then I wanted to get the chrome vinyl wrap and do the center sections for that stock look.
I had even done a bit of research and had found this:

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/flexible-chro...th-air-release/

Let me know how it goes and what product you end up using.
I was hoping to do my front air dam &hood leading edge with the protective film too.

Hey everyone,

before relocating to Texas I had a side business vinyl wrapping cars. It just so happens that I have a 914 that I am currently wrapping. I am doing the bumpers exactly as you mentioned. I have actually thought of buying FG bumpers, wrapping them for people and selling them completely wrapped. But I digress..Here is some advice if you have never wrapped a car or anything before.

- Buy a lot more than you will need and Practice, practice, practice.
- like most things, you get what you pay for. Vinyl, has a shelf life and if not kept in a temperature controlled environment prior to use, it will not perform well.
- The previous comment leads to, there are many places that will sell you discounted vinyl, and generally all it is OLD, LEFT OVER vinyl that has been sitting too long. BEWARE
- A good vinyl like 3M 1080 is great to work with and very forgiving.
- Chrome vinyl costs about 100-200 a yard (depending on the color chrome, obviously a standard chrome is what you are looking for) Keep these prices in mind when ordering
- Make sure you clean the pieces you are wrapping VERY WELL.
-Vinyl won't fix the substrate, if there is a bump, or a pit, the vinyl will show it.

- Lastly, Vinyl wrapping is tedious but is fun to work with. The stuff is so technologically advanced it is really impressive to see what it is capable of. If you have any questions about how to work with it, don't hesitate to PM me and I will be happy to help or point you in the right direction.

The photo attached is my favorite complete wrap. I will post up some images of the 914, she is currently in progress...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Nov 15 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,469

that looks awesome. I love the mate look. If you don't mind me asking what did you charge to wrap up a car?

Thanks

David
+Quote Post
griffindoug
post Nov 15 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 15 2014, 09:33 AM) *

that looks awesome. I love the mate look. If you don't mind me asking what did you charge to wrap up a car?

Thanks

David

a car that size was about 3000 - 4000 depending on vinyl.

Thanks for the compliment

+Quote Post
john77
post Nov 15 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Nov 9 2014, 01:56 AM) *

I now will wait on the wrap until after Christmas, because I will go 12 laps at the December AX in OC then wrap her.

The PCAOCR event at El Toro? I'll be down there too in my silver 914.

Some good tips here, I've been thinking of wrapping a few things on my car as well, it's just currently at the bottom of my never-ending to do list...
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Nov 15 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #18

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3No5P4sFs

Hmm..Maybe the 427 Cobra I had a look at this past summer was a wrap.
So nice.

Have you done a guitar?
+Quote Post
griffindoug
post Nov 15 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Nov 15 2014, 08:25 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3No5P4sFs

Hmm..Maybe the 427 Cobra I had a look at this past summer was a wrap.
So nice.

Have you done a guitar?

Guitars can be done, but it cannot be done without a seam.

I work in the medical device industry, and I found the process to be extremely stress relieving.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Doug
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Nov 16 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #20

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How is washing the car? any special precautions to care for the vinyl?

How long would you expect a wrap to last and continue looking nice?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:47 PM